Need Help. Bobcat 742 Chain Case Won't Drop.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jsantos

Hi everyone, I'm helping a friend rebuild his chain case after some damage to his reduction gear box and some other wear. I'm trying to drop the Chain Case but cannot get it to drop. I'm hoping someone can offer assistance as I am at present somewhat befuddled. I removed hydraulic pump nuts that support the pump on top of the pump and removed lift linkage nut under the hydraulic pump. I then supported the pump and chain case housing and proceeded to remove the 20 bolts holding the chain case to the body. I've been trying to get this thing to drop and the back end seems to be stuck. Did I miss something. I cannot locate any other bolts. There is some old dry dirt locked in the rear axle but I didn't thing it was enough to hold this up. Might that be the problem or did I miss something else. Thank you all for any assistance!

Tazza

Staff member
I wonder if it's just rust holding it in place.
Obviously, the 3 hydraulic hoses to the drive motors need to go, but that won't stop the two parts moving, and it would be obvious.
The 20 main bolts are the big one that holds it on, but there will be one more under the pump that is for the.... lift function I think? either way, there is a bar that runs across it from the left pedal to the control block, you will need to at the minimum, remove the linkages, but possibly need to remove the bolt holding it in once you can lift the chassis off the chain case.
I'd like to think it's just rust or pain sticking it together, there are no hidden bits that hold things on.
Do let us know how you go, I have dropped a few chain cases to work on them, it's far easier on a total overhaul of it than doing it in place.

OP
OP
jsantos

jsantos

I wonder if it's just rust holding it in place.
Obviously, the 3 hydraulic hoses to the drive motors need to go, but that won't stop the two parts moving, and it would be obvious.
The 20 main bolts are the big one that holds it on, but there will be one more under the pump that is for the.... lift function I think? either way, there is a bar that runs across it from the left pedal to the control block, you will need to at the minimum, remove the linkages, but possibly need to remove the bolt holding it in once you can lift the chassis off the chain case.
I'd like to think it's just rust or pain sticking it together, there are no hidden bits that hold things on.
Do let us know how you go, I have dropped a few chain cases to work on them, it's far easier on a total overhaul of it than doing it in place.
Been meaning to get back to this thread but been super busy. I got it down. My main problem was the old hard dry dirt tucked around the valve body and in between the back of the chain case housing and the steel pipes that run behind the motor / fan shroud. That dirt was so hard it was almost like concrete basically locking the steel pipes to the chain case. I was afraid to force the chain case because I didnt want to damage any of the steel lines. I ended up removing the engine which was a breeze. It was actually more of a pain in the ass to remove the stupid fan shroud. Had it not been for this, I actually think taking out the chain case would have been a breeze. It's completely out now and so I've been rebuilding the gearboxes. One of them, the housing blew out on the input shaft inside the case and I lost some teeth on the gear. I've sourced a complete unit for $625.

Tazza

Staff member
Been meaning to get back to this thread but been super busy. I got it down. My main problem was the old hard dry dirt tucked around the valve body and in between the back of the chain case housing and the steel pipes that run behind the motor / fan shroud. That dirt was so hard it was almost like concrete basically locking the steel pipes to the chain case. I was afraid to force the chain case because I didnt want to damage any of the steel lines. I ended up removing the engine which was a breeze. It was actually more of a pain in the ass to remove the stupid fan shroud. Had it not been for this, I actually think taking out the chain case would have been a breeze. It's completely out now and so I've been rebuilding the gearboxes. One of them, the housing blew out on the input shaft inside the case and I lost some teeth on the gear. I've sourced a complete unit for $625.
Glad you made progress, and great score on the new reduction box, gears surely can't be cheap from the dealer.
I had lines rust out in oil/dirt goo. I have had the concrete like stuff on them before, not fun to remove, but thankfully doable.

Latest posts