Mustang 1200 many questions.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bigcam

I have searched and searched ant can't seem to find the answer to any of my questions about this skid steer. seems that google only wants to show me stuff i need to buy lol Anyways. heres the questions i hope you fellas can answer for me What type of hydraulic oil is ment for this machine? someone told me ATF? Is that right? Is there a hydraulic filter or screen some where? if so where is it located? What carburetor is on this machine so i can order a carb kit? engine is a wisconsin vh4d. i cant seem to find a direct answer to this one. seems like a kit for the L63 searies is the right one? Does anyone know where i can get a free manual for this machine online? I found one for the engine but not the hole machine. Or am i stuck buying one and waiting for it to show up? I know some of this i can find out on my own like the carb. get the number off the carb and match it but I dont have the loader close to home. it has to sit several miles away and id like to just go back to it with everything i need.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Well no one responded but i now have some answers to my own questions and will post it so the next guy searching can find it to help them. The Hydraulic filter is next to the battery at the front of the machine. Napa part number for the hydraulic filter is 1567 So far never found a Free manual for this machine but ordered one. Far as hydralic oil goes i found on this machine where it says to use Type A transmission fluid. I did some searching for more popular brands of machines like the bobcat 600 and 610. They claim the same oil as this but it seems many people claim they get away with any type of oil even 10-30 engine oil. Others say Dextron. so go search similer machines and see what you feel is right. I guess i will find my self some Type A transmission fluid and spend the big bucks buying it just to be sure. I will try to post other good info as i come across it just to help others. Don't worry bumping a old thread Because i have it setup to email me of any replys and mite still be around to help the next guy.

Tazza

Staff member
Well no one responded but i now have some answers to my own questions and will post it so the next guy searching can find it to help them. The Hydraulic filter is next to the battery at the front of the machine. Napa part number for the hydraulic filter is 1567 So far never found a Free manual for this machine but ordered one. Far as hydralic oil goes i found on this machine where it says to use Type A transmission fluid. I did some searching for more popular brands of machines like the bobcat 600 and 610. They claim the same oil as this but it seems many people claim they get away with any type of oil even 10-30 engine oil. Others say Dextron. so go search similer machines and see what you feel is right. I guess i will find my self some Type A transmission fluid and spend the big bucks buying it just to be sure. I will try to post other good info as i come across it just to help others. Don't worry bumping a old thread Because i have it setup to email me of any replys and mite still be around to help the next guy.
Even though we didn't have answers for you, it is appreciated that you took the time to pass on what you found out.
I'd like to think that standard engine oil would do the job, but i simply don't know for sure. If it is a clutch drive, it needs the ATF, but if it is hydraulic/hydrostatic i see no reason why engine oil/hydraulic oil wouldn't work as long as they were thick enough. The pumps were designed to pump hydraulic oil, so i see no reason why you can't use the same.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Even though we didn't have answers for you, it is appreciated that you took the time to pass on what you found out.
I'd like to think that standard engine oil would do the job, but i simply don't know for sure. If it is a clutch drive, it needs the ATF, but if it is hydraulic/hydrostatic i see no reason why engine oil/hydraulic oil wouldn't work as long as they were thick enough. The pumps were designed to pump hydraulic oil, so i see no reason why you can't use the same.
Yea its a clutch drive and seems to be alot like the Bobcat 600 and 610. Dad has a bobcat 600. Even for the bobcat 600 i seem to find mixed ideas of what it should be. One guy said the dealer told him to never use ATF in a 600 the next guy that said he talked to a dealer they said only ATF. So it is really confusing. But i did find on this forum where a guy posted a pic from the manual for a 600 610 bobcat that said to use 10-30 engine oil. heres that link. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=61303 Other folks say use what ever. heck i don't know whats right. I know it had some red stuff in it and the last owner told me he dumped in about 5 gallons of 303 hydraulic transmission fluid in it to fill it back up right when he bought it about 2 months ago. after finding that link above i think i may just use some 10-30 or some 303 hydraulic trans fluid. I have plenty of that around because my other tractors and stuff have leaks so i keep that dirt cheap 303 around lol Atlest its the cheapest around me. Another thing is people say dextron 3 started out as type A tranny fluid and use it. OK... so that means dextron 3 is no longer the old A type and has been changed thus making me think is it really any different then dumping what ever els i find? ohh i talked to a skid steer dealer today. not a brand specific dealer but one that deals in mostly old skid steers and he said Just use a good universal premium tractor fluid. so the right answer is ?????????????????? haha Maybe i should go hang out with the bobcat guys and see if any of them had a problem with there clutch drives with any type of oil they used. Looking at the pics of the clutchs the 600 is very close if not the same as this mustang. But again I will post all the info i can for folks. ONE more question just for you Tazza. since your a MOD if/when i get the manual for this thing is it ok to post it on here or have you guys been nailed for allowing that stuff to be posted for free? I know some other forums have but idk about the skid steer world.

Tazza

Staff member
Yea its a clutch drive and seems to be alot like the Bobcat 600 and 610. Dad has a bobcat 600. Even for the bobcat 600 i seem to find mixed ideas of what it should be. One guy said the dealer told him to never use ATF in a 600 the next guy that said he talked to a dealer they said only ATF. So it is really confusing. But i did find on this forum where a guy posted a pic from the manual for a 600 610 bobcat that said to use 10-30 engine oil. heres that link. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=61303 Other folks say use what ever. heck i don't know whats right. I know it had some red stuff in it and the last owner told me he dumped in about 5 gallons of 303 hydraulic transmission fluid in it to fill it back up right when he bought it about 2 months ago. after finding that link above i think i may just use some 10-30 or some 303 hydraulic trans fluid. I have plenty of that around because my other tractors and stuff have leaks so i keep that dirt cheap 303 around lol Atlest its the cheapest around me. Another thing is people say dextron 3 started out as type A tranny fluid and use it. OK... so that means dextron 3 is no longer the old A type and has been changed thus making me think is it really any different then dumping what ever els i find? ohh i talked to a skid steer dealer today. not a brand specific dealer but one that deals in mostly old skid steers and he said Just use a good universal premium tractor fluid. so the right answer is ?????????????????? haha Maybe i should go hang out with the bobcat guys and see if any of them had a problem with there clutch drives with any type of oil they used. Looking at the pics of the clutchs the 600 is very close if not the same as this mustang. But again I will post all the info i can for folks. ONE more question just for you Tazza. since your a MOD if/when i get the manual for this thing is it ok to post it on here or have you guys been nailed for allowing that stuff to be posted for free? I know some other forums have but idk about the skid steer world.
If the old fluid was red, i'd assume it was ATF too.... If it runs clutches, i would assume that you would need ATF and not standard oil.
As for the manual, we would ba happy to grab a copy of the manual(s) if you get hold of one.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

If the old fluid was red, i'd assume it was ATF too.... If it runs clutches, i would assume that you would need ATF and not standard oil.
As for the manual, we would ba happy to grab a copy of the manual(s) if you get hold of one.
Yea i ordered a paper and PDF copy of a manual. The PDF one should make it easy to put on here.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Yea i ordered a paper and PDF copy of a manual. The PDF one should make it easy to put on here.
Ok i got the PDF manual. I need to figure out how to unlock it before i upload it here. I thought the password thing they talked about was before it is downloaded but i found out that the password is after you download it and you have to enter it every time :( So i will try to figure that out. But untill then Heres a little more info to answer some of my questions. The manual says to use DEXTRON ATF for the hydraulic system. rated operating load is 1175lbs and tipping load is 2350lbs. operating weight of the machine is 4575lbs Hopefully soon i will have it figured out and give you guys a copy of the manual!

Tazza

Staff member
Ok i got the PDF manual. I need to figure out how to unlock it before i upload it here. I thought the password thing they talked about was before it is downloaded but i found out that the password is after you download it and you have to enter it every time :( So i will try to figure that out. But untill then Heres a little more info to answer some of my questions. The manual says to use DEXTRON ATF for the hydraulic system. rated operating load is 1175lbs and tipping load is 2350lbs. operating weight of the machine is 4575lbs Hopefully soon i will have it figured out and give you guys a copy of the manual!
Glad you now know the correct fluid to use, expensive but better that than damage.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

How do i upload a PDF file on here?
Ok i uploaded the operators manual to dropbox. heres the link to down load it. After you download it you will need a password to view it. yea the password is a really annoying idea but i don't know how to remove it. Password is>>> A0021OWO@J5i https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilum42v9sf1c17r/11111111111%20%20OW-O-1200_A%20PASSWORD%20A0021OWO%40J5i.pdf?dl=0 I will have the parts manual soon for this machine to but i didn't get a PDF file for it. i will have to copy each page and figure out how to make it a PDF file to and then i will put it on here aswell! Some tags to help this come up in a search! OMC owatonna mustang 1200 AND 1200A operator operators manual parts manual free. Just a tip on the password. Copy and past works best but to spell it out so theres no confusion it is capital A Zero Zero 2 1 capital O capital O @ capital J 5 lower case i ...The zeros and capital O seemed to confuse some others i shared it with before so figured id try to spell it out better.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Ok i uploaded the operators manual to dropbox. heres the link to down load it. After you download it you will need a password to view it. yea the password is a really annoying idea but i don't know how to remove it. Password is>>> A0021OWO@J5i https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilum42v9sf1c17r/11111111111%20%20OW-O-1200_A%20PASSWORD%20A0021OWO%40J5i.pdf?dl=0 I will have the parts manual soon for this machine to but i didn't get a PDF file for it. i will have to copy each page and figure out how to make it a PDF file to and then i will put it on here aswell! Some tags to help this come up in a search! OMC owatonna mustang 1200 AND 1200A operator operators manual parts manual free. Just a tip on the password. Copy and past works best but to spell it out so theres no confusion it is capital A Zero Zero 2 1 capital O capital O @ capital J 5 lower case i ...The zeros and capital O seemed to confuse some others i shared it with before so figured id try to spell it out better.
ohh and someone please try it so i know it works!

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Works for me, thanks for the link.
So i decided to figure out what the clutch cost in these. That was a long drug out search haha. But to help the next guy This company makes the friction clutch disks and the separation plates. http://www.tribco.com/ Call them up and give them part number JD600. Each friction disk at the time of this post was $32.70 and each separation disk is $18.70 From everything i found and from talking to these folks These parts are the same for the mustang 1700 john deere 170 and john deere 24. The factory clutch Kit part number is 190-27082 John deere number is GG190-27082 Also AT315884 All i could find for a price on this kit was over $700 per a clutch! The factory part number for just the disks is 250-27074 and john deeres number is GG250-27074 Hope all this helps some one aswell!

Tazza

Staff member
So i decided to figure out what the clutch cost in these. That was a long drug out search haha. But to help the next guy This company makes the friction clutch disks and the separation plates. http://www.tribco.com/ Call them up and give them part number JD600. Each friction disk at the time of this post was $32.70 and each separation disk is $18.70 From everything i found and from talking to these folks These parts are the same for the mustang 1700 john deere 170 and john deere 24. The factory clutch Kit part number is 190-27082 John deere number is GG190-27082 Also AT315884 All i could find for a price on this kit was over $700 per a clutch! The factory part number for just the disks is 250-27074 and john deeres number is GG250-27074 Hope all this helps some one aswell!
Wow, you did well finding the clutches, a lot cheaper than the dealer.
Thanks for sharing the details.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Wow, you did well finding the clutches, a lot cheaper than the dealer.
Thanks for sharing the details.
Another neat thing i figured out. if your looking up parts using gahl mustang numbers you just add 2 letter "G" in front of mustangs/gahl number. then it is a johndeere number and may show up more results.

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Another neat thing i figured out. if your looking up parts using gahl mustang numbers you just add 2 letter "G" in front of mustangs/gahl number. then it is a johndeere number and may show up more results.
adding more helpful info here. belt part number 2926V686 does for sure fit this 1200. I bought it and installed it. works great now. OMC part number is 020-26433

InigoMontoya06

adding more helpful info here. belt part number 2926V686 does for sure fit this 1200. I bought it and installed it. works great now. OMC part number is 020-26433
Hello bigcam. You still around? I just got a 1200 series from a relative that thought I could use it but it hasn't moved in 8 yrs. I was wondering if you still had that pdf version of the repair manual available. The dropbox link doesn't work anymore. InigoMontoya06

OP
OP
B

bigcam

Hello bigcam. You still around? I just got a 1200 series from a relative that thought I could use it but it hasn't moved in 8 yrs. I was wondering if you still had that pdf version of the repair manual available. The dropbox link doesn't work anymore. InigoMontoya06
Yea i am sure by now it got removed. send me a email at [email protected] Put in the subject "mustang 1200" so i don't send it strait to the spam folder. Also i have the OPERATORS manual not the repair manual. It has most of what you would need tho. I have a paper version of the parts manual to.

FordGuy

Yea i am sure by now it got removed. send me a email at [email protected] Put in the subject "mustang 1200" so i don't send it strait to the spam folder. Also i have the OPERATORS manual not the repair manual. It has most of what you would need tho. I have a paper version of the parts manual to.
Hi Bigcam I just sent you a email about the PDF then decided I should join , woot. Glad to be on here. Tim Alberta, Canada