mt 52 blowing engine fuse

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mosseyoaks

i was using my mt52 bobcat (small walk behing bobcat) when it just completly shut down. The engine fuse was blown , when i went to put a new one in it blew too even though the key was off. any ideas where to start looking for a short? if anybody has any other ideas i would love to hear them. thanks

OldMachinist

I don't have a wiring diagram for your machine but in a typical Bobcat wiring the engine fuse supplies power to the ignition switch on a red/white wire which also goes to the glow plug switch if it has one.
I would pull the connector off the back of the ignition switch and then see if it blows the fuse when you put in a new fuse. If it does then you have a short in the wire from the fuse block to the switch. If it doesn't blow then remove the relays, reconnect the ignition switch. If it blows right away then I'd suspect the switch. Next install each relay one at a time until it blows and then trace that circuit to find the short.

OP
OP
M

mosseyoaks

I don't have a wiring diagram for your machine but in a typical Bobcat wiring the engine fuse supplies power to the ignition switch on a red/white wire which also goes to the glow plug switch if it has one.
I would pull the connector off the back of the ignition switch and then see if it blows the fuse when you put in a new fuse. If it does then you have a short in the wire from the fuse block to the switch. If it doesn't blow then remove the relays, reconnect the ignition switch. If it blows right away then I'd suspect the switch. Next install each relay one at a time until it blows and then trace that circuit to find the short.
thanks, i will test that this morning.