Molded wiring harness connector repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bill B.

It is possible to replace broken male ends by pressing them out? My 1984 743 has the old type connectors. A friend said the Cat dealer has a kit but I'm pretty sure he thought I had newer type connectors.

mmsllc

If you are asking if you can you use a "pin-pusher" to release the wire terminal from being held by a multiple connector end, then the answer should be a simple"YES!" But I am certain that making electrical wiring repairs that way is too difficult / time consuming. What I do a lot of times is cut the affected wire close to the connector on both harnesses (asuming that one harness is connecting to another harness), then cut the corresponding wire on the other side ofbthebconnector. Then simply using high quality "weather-proof" electrical connectors & a short section of wire to alleviate the damaged wire problem. Does that make sense??

OP
OP
B

Bill B.

If you are asking if you can you use a "pin-pusher" to release the wire terminal from being held by a multiple connector end, then the answer should be a simple"YES!" But I am certain that making electrical wiring repairs that way is too difficult / time consuming. What I do a lot of times is cut the affected wire close to the connector on both harnesses (asuming that one harness is connecting to another harness), then cut the corresponding wire on the other side ofbthebconnector. Then simply using high quality "weather-proof" electrical connectors & a short section of wire to alleviate the damaged wire problem. Does that make sense??
Thanks for the reply. Your solution makes a lot of sense. I was leaning that way but wondered if what's left of the broken pin could be pushed out of the molded connector. That solution may require some strong RTV rubber to hold the new male bullet connector.

Hotrod1830

Thanks for the reply. Your solution makes a lot of sense. I was leaning that way but wondered if what's left of the broken pin could be pushed out of the molded connector. That solution may require some strong RTV rubber to hold the new male bullet connector.
By "Molded" connector, are you refering to a connector like a 4-way trailer plug? If thats the case, the answer is no. The plastic connectors such as the weather-pack, and simular connectors CAN have new pins installed.
On jobs that the complete connector is beyond repair, I cut the old connectors out,and use trailer wiring connectors. If I need more than one, I will reverse one so they can only be connected one way. Cheap, simple, and they seem to hold up well. I always solder and heatshrink my wire connections. Solderless Crimp connectors are a electrical gremlin waiting to happen.

mark18mwm

By "Molded" connector, are you refering to a connector like a 4-way trailer plug? If thats the case, the answer is no. The plastic connectors such as the weather-pack, and simular connectors CAN have new pins installed.
On jobs that the complete connector is beyond repair, I cut the old connectors out,and use trailer wiring connectors. If I need more than one, I will reverse one so they can only be connected one way. Cheap, simple, and they seem to hold up well. I always solder and heatshrink my wire connections. Solderless Crimp connectors are a electrical gremlin waiting to happen.
Yup, Hotrod is right. here is a link to a you tube video showing how. Once you have done a couple you will have no problem doing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQHT1YF-iQ8

Tazza

Staff member
Yup, Hotrod is right. here is a link to a you tube video showing how. Once you have done a couple you will have no problem doing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQHT1YF-iQ8
The other issue is, if the connector is that far gone, the wire may have black death on it at the connector. I generally cut the connector off and replace it with one with wires already fitted. I can then cut out a goos section of harness to get back to good copper. Solder and heat shrink the wires together.
If you can't get one connector with enough pins, get two to make up the correct number of wires.

OP
OP
B

Bill B.

The other issue is, if the connector is that far gone, the wire may have black death on it at the connector. I generally cut the connector off and replace it with one with wires already fitted. I can then cut out a goos section of harness to get back to good copper. Solder and heat shrink the wires together.
If you can't get one connector with enough pins, get two to make up the correct number of wires.
Thanks everyone for the input. It is very similar to the molded trailer connectors. Looked possible but not feasible without some magic goo to hold the new bullet in once connected.

Hotrod1830

Thanks everyone for the input. It is very similar to the molded trailer connectors. Looked possible but not feasible without some magic goo to hold the new bullet in once connected.
I would'nt mess with a molded connector. 25 years of messing with automotive wiring has taught me that if one pin is bad, the rest are not far behind. Replace the entire connector.
Tazza is correct with mentioning corrosion on the wires. Any section of wire that looks green or black needs to be replaced, regardless if it is operating correctly or not. Also, any section of wire that is bare(i.e. bare copper, cracked insulation) needs to be replaced as well, or it will corrode and turn black or green. That in turn can ruin your day of using your skid loader by spending it chasing electrical gremlins.
Wire is cheap . The frustration of spending an entire day chasing a broken wire, is well worth the $15 worth of wire and a new connector.

Hotrod1830

I would'nt mess with a molded connector. 25 years of messing with automotive wiring has taught me that if one pin is bad, the rest are not far behind. Replace the entire connector.
Tazza is correct with mentioning corrosion on the wires. Any section of wire that looks green or black needs to be replaced, regardless if it is operating correctly or not. Also, any section of wire that is bare(i.e. bare copper, cracked insulation) needs to be replaced as well, or it will corrode and turn black or green. That in turn can ruin your day of using your skid loader by spending it chasing electrical gremlins.
Wire is cheap . The frustration of spending an entire day chasing a broken wire, is well worth the $15 worth of wire and a new connector.
Also, while I was on my bucket, I forgot to mention the most important part. FIRE!!!!
Bad wiring may look like a pain in the ass, but remember it can generate enough heat to start a fire.
I never skimp on wiring for that reason..

7LBSSMALLIE

Also, while I was on my bucket, I forgot to mention the most important part. FIRE!!!!
Bad wiring may look like a pain in the ass, but remember it can generate enough heat to start a fire.
I never skimp on wiring for that reason..
according to kholer the F word is not used. it shall hence forth be refered to as thermal event:: thought you guys ould like it ,,,,its true. most of youre shops will cut the ends off . replaced harnesses for just such a reason splicining in a m@F conector can be done once and done right. if you got the connectors. for instance the 743 6 pin under cab that breaks when you raise the cab/ you start doing one broken wire at a time. now you got mess. if you a got M@F with 12inch leads its done and done right and can dissconnect easy. easy to wire in solid can give youreself that extra length