Mirrors

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nobull1

Being new to the skid steer business I was wondering if mirrors are used inside or out. I realize that you can't see much out the back window, but wonder if anyone uses them. One issue I have is backing up my trailer. When you are backing up you really don't have a view of where your rear tires are. How do most people back up ramps if you don't have mirrors?
Thanks
Brian

WebbCo

For saftey reasons you should never use a glass mirror inside your cab, however I have been selling a polished mirror that is commonly used rear view mirror from the marine stores! Boat mirror that is! The secret is out now!

skidsteer.ca

For saftey reasons you should never use a glass mirror inside your cab, however I have been selling a polished mirror that is commonly used rear view mirror from the marine stores! Boat mirror that is! The secret is out now!
My NH has mirrors up high in each front corner of the cab, and with the low engine and big back window you can see well with them, I just have to get used to using them and trusting my judgement with them and they will be pretty nice.
Sometime I bump them crawling in or out, but they are easy to re align.
In my 773 I can see the tops of the rear tires and use that to judge my distance to the fenders.
Once there is some trailer in front, I use the planks n the deck to keep myself straight.
Ken

sterlclan

My NH has mirrors up high in each front corner of the cab, and with the low engine and big back window you can see well with them, I just have to get used to using them and trusting my judgement with them and they will be pretty nice.
Sometime I bump them crawling in or out, but they are easy to re align.
In my 773 I can see the tops of the rear tires and use that to judge my distance to the fenders.
Once there is some trailer in front, I use the planks n the deck to keep myself straight.
Ken
I lift the arms and look under them at the rear tire Jeff

mikie

caterpillar sells a nice little convex mirror for about 25.00. it gives you a wide field of vision. it can be bolted in front of you in the roof of the cab.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

caterpillar sells a nice little convex mirror for about 25.00. it gives you a wide field of vision. it can be bolted in front of you in the roof of the cab.
I am going to try a mirror on the inside to see if it helps. I still don't like backing up when I can't see behind me, "especially" onto ramps. I wonder if it would be possible to mount a convex mirror somewhere on the loader arms/cylinders, that would give a view when raised, and not get smashed off. Just thinking out loud. When it warms up I will have a better look to see if it makes any sense or not.

destro

I am going to try a mirror on the inside to see if it helps. I still don't like backing up when I can't see behind me, "especially" onto ramps. I wonder if it would be possible to mount a convex mirror somewhere on the loader arms/cylinders, that would give a view when raised, and not get smashed off. Just thinking out loud. When it warms up I will have a better look to see if it makes any sense or not.
I had bracets welded on the arms and use truck mirrors. They do not over veiw the tires so I don,t need to worry about knocking them off. They are a big help when backing up at work or loading.. DESTRO....

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

I had bracets welded on the arms and use truck mirrors. They do not over veiw the tires so I don,t need to worry about knocking them off. They are a big help when backing up at work or loading.. DESTRO....
Mark
Any pictures you can share?

sar4937

Mark
Any pictures you can share?
Just a couple of days ago I received an E-mail from skid steer solutions the showed a pretty slick back up camera for a couple of hundred dollars. If it worked like the one on my car it would have advantages over mirrors. The camera lense does need to be kept clean though. I have not seen a single mirror that would allow me to see anything more than something was behind me. The system in my car allows me to exactly position my car using a cellphone camera sized fisheyed lense. I'm sure that he will probably add a link or you could look at skidsteer solutions.

kevinsky18

Just a couple of days ago I received an E-mail from skid steer solutions the showed a pretty slick back up camera for a couple of hundred dollars. If it worked like the one on my car it would have advantages over mirrors. The camera lense does need to be kept clean though. I have not seen a single mirror that would allow me to see anything more than something was behind me. The system in my car allows me to exactly position my car using a cellphone camera sized fisheyed lense. I'm sure that he will probably add a link or you could look at skidsteer solutions.
I heard walmart is marketing a backup camera for cars with a LCD screen about the size of a portable DVD player. It's around $100. i'm seriously thinking of getting one.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

I heard walmart is marketing a backup camera for cars with a LCD screen about the size of a portable DVD player. It's around $100. i'm seriously thinking of getting one.
Princess Auto has 8.5" convex mirrors c/w L bracket on sale as of now for $7.99. I purchased a couple and will see if they will work the way I would like. If they don't I am sure they will be useful sometime in the future. If anyone is thinking about getting mirrors, you can save a couple of dollars for the next few weeks during the sale.
Brian

nailsbeats

Princess Auto has 8.5" convex mirrors c/w L bracket on sale as of now for $7.99. I purchased a couple and will see if they will work the way I would like. If they don't I am sure they will be useful sometime in the future. If anyone is thinking about getting mirrors, you can save a couple of dollars for the next few weeks during the sale.
Brian
Here is the mirror I just installed in my 763. It is a replacement rear view mirror for a vehicle. Got it at Farm and Fleet, cost about $13. Visibility is excellent and vibration is minimal. I can back up full speed with no worries, great for back dragging.
I installed it with a self tapping screw towards the middle of the cab on the hump, this does three things 1) gives you a sharper downward angle so you can see things behind you close to the machine 2) gives you a true back window view, not you or the cab 3) keeps it out of the way so you don't bump it entering and exiting the cab.
You have to look up to see it, it is not in your normal line of sight. Tough to get good pictures.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/nailsbeats/DSCN0824.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/nailsbeats/DSCN0825.jpg

NJSteve

I'm not sure about mirrors, but I simply installed a back-up camera in mine. Eas to install and you get a great view of the back.

mllud

I'm not sure about mirrors, but I simply installed a back-up camera in mine. Eas to install and you get a great view of the back.
On backing your trailer in . I put a ball on the bucket and push. I bought some for skidsteers on ebay for $25. they come with brackets. they vibrate a little but are ok.I like the camera Idea. Mike

mllud

On backing your trailer in . I put a ball on the bucket and push. I bought some for skidsteers on ebay for $25. they come with brackets. they vibrate a little but are ok.I like the camera Idea. Mike
I misread the first question. your backing up onto your trailer :sighned sleepy mike

kelly_b

i don't know if this link will attach but here is a very simple clamp on the boom mirror from northern tool. www2.northerntool.com/product/200332023.htm
This may sound retarded ... how about a mirror attached to the back of your front loader? Lift the front loader up high enough to look behind you.

jerry

This may sound retarded ... how about a mirror attached to the back of your front loader? Lift the front loader up high enough to look behind you.
This link is from the archives here, how one person put mirrors on. I put one on and I like it , haven't got around to the other one yet. they are $15 each at napa . They are glass though, haven't ripped mine off in the woods yet. http://www.capsandstems.com/ed/bobcat_mirrors.htm

Idoitall

This link is from the archives here, how one person put mirrors on. I put one on and I like it , haven't got around to the other one yet. they are $15 each at napa . They are glass though, haven't ripped mine off in the woods yet. http://www.capsandstems.com/ed/bobcat_mirrors.htm
I was reading this post earlier today and found the backup camera idea interesting. I've been around these in motorhomes and they work great, but I know that these are very pricey and might not hold up on a SS.

I went over to Skid Steer Solutions website and found their $195 wireless camera and some images, but felt like it needed some additional information. I email'd their sales dept. about the information and here's the good part. Within 30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon of football, I received a reply and they had already added the additional information to the website that I asked for. I don't know about you guys, but that is Customer Service, a lost art in America.

There was mention of a $100 camera at WalMart, so I looked there as well. I suspect this is a cheap made import item and the few reviews there didn't sound very positive. However, if someone tries one, some feedback would be appreciated by all of us.