Melroe 610 no spark

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DannyTheVito

Hey fellas, I have a Melroe 610 what what I believe is a VH4D engine that I can't get to spark.
This machine has been sitting for about 10 years. It was running like a top last time it ran.
I've tested the coil by connecting a spark plug with an inline light to the output, turning the battery on and tapping the ground(-) to a part of the frame and got a good spark. I reconnected the coil to the distributor and put my inline light on one of the spark plug lines tried to crank and got no light/spark. I took the distributor cap off to inspect and it looks fine to me.
What other tests can I do to find the problem?
I have included some pictures of the coil/distributor.

(Click the images for larger versions)

thynes

DannyTheVito, from what you describe, likely your problem is the points. When the sit for a long time they get a slight coating of oxide on their faces and there is little to no current flow to the coil. I have had new, but old, points that needed a slight polish before they would work. Fold up some fine sandpaper (400 or 600 grit) and run it between the points, when they are closed, and see if that helps. This has worked for me in the past. Cheers- Tim in Mass

OP
OP
DannyTheVito

DannyTheVito

DannyTheVito, from what you describe, likely your problem is the points. When the sit for a long time they get a slight coating of oxide on their faces and there is little to no current flow to the coil. I have had new, but old, points that needed a slight polish before they would work. Fold up some fine sandpaper (400 or 600 grit) and run it between the points, when they are closed, and see if that helps. This has worked for me in the past. Cheers- Tim in Mass
That was exactly the problem, Tim. It's embarrassing how long it would have taken me to think of that. I went ahead and shined every contact point a bit and I'm getting a strong spark on all 4. Thanks a million!

thynes

That was exactly the problem, Tim. It's embarrassing how long it would have taken me to think of that. I went ahead and shined every contact point a bit and I'm getting a strong spark on all 4. Thanks a million!
Good stuff right there. Fortunes of a miss spent youth, just passin' it on. Where are you located? Tim in Mass

OP
OP
DannyTheVito

DannyTheVito

Good stuff right there. Fortunes of a miss spent youth, just passin' it on. Where are you located? Tim in Mass
I'm Dan in Louisiana. I'm still in my 20s so I'm still collecting that knowledge, I'll take all I can get. Cleared the fuel lines, changed the oil and she fired right up! Going to load her up tomorrow and put her to work. Exciting stuff!

thynes

I'm Dan in Louisiana. I'm still in my 20s so I'm still collecting that knowledge, I'll take all I can get. Cleared the fuel lines, changed the oil and she fired right up! Going to load her up tomorrow and put her to work. Exciting stuff!
I would suggest pulling some of the sheet metal cooling baffles to have a look for mouse nests. My M610 had a big nest and it overheated and wrecked the engine. It badly detonated, with melted pistons, it was not pretty. Also make sure all the baffles are in place, it looks like you are missing a bolt in one of your pictures. Air cooled engines need all the panels, or you will get hot spots. Tim in Mass

OP
OP
DannyTheVito

DannyTheVito

I would suggest pulling some of the sheet metal cooling baffles to have a look for mouse nests. My M610 had a big nest and it overheated and wrecked the engine. It badly detonated, with melted pistons, it was not pretty. Also make sure all the baffles are in place, it looks like you are missing a bolt in one of your pictures. Air cooled engines need all the panels, or you will get hot spots. Tim in Mass
I'll pull the baffles off tomorrow because I doubt I'll find a tire shop open on a Sunday.

2xvtWPL.jpg

Just another bump in the road to fix.

thynes

I'll pull the baffles off tomorrow because I doubt I'll find a tire shop open on a Sunday.

Just another bump in the road to fix.
To reseat the bead try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lZ3vLizyM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhszvMjvjg