MEL 1179-2 Towing tool for 742

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Overtime

Bobcat does not supply these anymore. Does anyone have or know the dimensions these are? The sketch in the service manual shows a simple pin with a head on it. My guess is that the head end just needs to sit in the caps of the pressure relief valves and the pin end needs to just push something open a small amount. Any length/diameter information would be appreciated.

OP
OP
O

Overtime

What is wrong with your cat?.........I pulled the drive motors to move when dead
Today nothing is wrong, the other day the main jet clogged. I was able to repair it where it sat. The manual says it can be pulled 25' at under 2mph doing nothing but it takes some power to drag it. It would be much easier to pull the 2 caps of the high pressure release valves and use the pins rather than drag, pull the motors or fix in the filed.

Fitz

Hey Overtime....OK,, My 742B just blew a head gasket in the neighbors driveway so i need to tow it about 200' to my shop I'm reading i need a special towing tool MEL-1179-2 that is discontinued What did you do to move yours?

Wayne440

You didn't ask me, but considering the 25 foot, under 2 MPH restriction - I would use a trailer and winch to move the 742B.

Fitz

Thanks Wayne,, Yes, that may be my only and best option, I'm just trying to clear the driveway at this point. I'm thinking of trying to winch it very slowly to get it out of the way. Do you think this will cause any damage? Another thought is to just disconnect the pump hoses and spew fluid all over. I don't really like that idea, I've never had to bleed the pump but I guess it can be done. I can't get a trailer till Monday at this point

Wayne440

No doubt that the 25 foot, under 2 MPH limitation exists for a reason, but I do not know what that reason is. I cannot say what the threshold for "cause any damage" is.

brdgbldr

Thanks Wayne,, Yes, that may be my only and best option, I'm just trying to clear the driveway at this point. I'm thinking of trying to winch it very slowly to get it out of the way. Do you think this will cause any damage? Another thought is to just disconnect the pump hoses and spew fluid all over. I don't really like that idea, I've never had to bleed the pump but I guess it can be done. I can't get a trailer till Monday at this point
On some of the older machines you can push the drive levers in the direction you want to go and this will open up the valves and allow the drive motors to turn.

Another options is the heavy weight tire Dollie's. As long as you are staying on concrete or ac.

You can also build a sled out of wood.

A flatbed tow truck, in my area, charges $250 for a recovery like this.

It is a SKID steer. There should not be any damage, other then tire wear, by dragging it.

Fitz

Ok. So I was able to get it into my shop. Now to figure out the main problem. It was running fine as always, suddenly lost power and stalled as I was going slightly up hill. It would not turn over I let it cool down and pulled the plugs, oil fouled big time. Oil squirted out of the cylinders as I cranked it. Blown head gasket??

Jyuma1

Ok. So I was able to get it into my shop. Now to figure out the main problem. It was running fine as always, suddenly lost power and stalled as I was going slightly up hill. It would not turn over I let it cool down and pulled the plugs, oil fouled big time. Oil squirted out of the cylinders as I cranked it. Blown head gasket??
That does not sound like a head gasket. Enough oil in the cylinders to have it squirt out the plug hole is a very bad sign. I know next to nothing about Bobcat engines but in my Kubota the only way for oil to get into the cylinders is via valve guides or a cracked head.

Fitz

Ouch, What would be a good way to troubleshoot it? Compression check? Or just pull the head? it's the Mitsubishi 4G32 engine. Has anyone replaced one of these or even know where to get one?

dfb

A few questions...Is oil in ALL the cylinders? If no, which ones are oil fouled? Where else is it present, air cleaner, intake manifold? Is crankcase overfilled? This has a pcv valve, is there oil in the hose from the valve to the manifold?

I agree it does not sound like a head gasket problem. It would be unusual for something like a valve guide to fail in all 4 cylinders at the same time. If oil is in all 4 holes, i would suspect it is being drawn in through the intake tract.

A compression test would be good also after clearing the cylinders excessive oil. Check for overfilled crankcase.

brdgbldr

Ouch, What would be a good way to troubleshoot it? Compression check? Or just pull the head? it's the Mitsubishi 4G32 engine. Has anyone replaced one of these or even know where to get one?
There are several posts on here about the Mitsubishi 4G32 engine. You just need to try a couple of different searches.

foton

I am wondering if the oil drain passages under the valve cover are restricted and it is holding to much oil in there. with bad seals I guess it could happen. just a guess.

Fitz

Thanks guys…To answers DFB about which cylinders have oil in them. It would be the first 3 from the back of the machine.The farthest rear having the majority of oil The farthest forward plug was not oil fouled but dirty. At the time of disaster I was moving uphill of about 15-20 degrees of incline which supports the rear of the engine getting deeper in oil possibility. I will check the other mentioned areas for oil and post

Fitz

Ok. No oil in the air filter but definitely oil made it into the carb and out the exhaust manifold

Sczmtns

I just rebuilt my 4g32, but I'm not a mechanic. I am happy to share what I did, but I can't help troubleshoot your problem.
From my experience you might be able to find a 4g63 easier than a 4g32. I saw adds for a 4g32 rebuilt in Google searches only, reached out to some if those places for parts (never the engine) and they never had oversized pistons, found mine on ebay. Good luck. I'll chime in if I have anything useful to add.

tlaskey

4G32 was in 80's and 90's mitsubishi Lancer and Dodge Colts. Same base engine.
What is the oil level?
After clearing all the oil from cylinders, have you replaced the plugs and tried to start it?
If you hydrolocked it you may have bent rods. listen for knocking.
Were you pulling Wheelies or going up hill?

Fitz

no wheelies but the hill was steep I cleared the cylinders, put in new plugs, said a Hail Mary and fired it up... no clunks or strange noises, just a lot of blue smoke for 20 minutes or so. Good thing too, we just got our first plowable snow last night and she cleaned up the driveway with out a hiccup. Thanks guys for all the troubleshooting advice, I was not feeling good about the expected repair, only turned out to be a set of plugs

Fitz

F369EBF2-E252-4069-BF65-E67DD6342AAE.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what this yellow/black wire connects to? I found it hanging loose while greasing the yoke zerks. It's my 742B