Maximum water depth to drive through

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

muddybuddy

Having some flooding up here in North Dakota. What is the deepest a guy should drive through water? I was thinking half way up the tire? What does anyone else think?

OldMachinist

I would stay out any water that is higher than the bottom of the engine compartment. Flood water always contains sand and will destroy rotary shaft seals(axle,crankshaft, water pump and timing cover) fast.

skidsteer.ca

On a Bobcat brand you should be ok up to the top of the chain case provided your axel seals are all good, there is a vent on the chaincase top that might let water in. Also if you flood out the main drive belt from the engine to the pumps is will likely slip and you may end up sitting. Not sure which is lower just off hand.
I would think 1/2 way up the tire would be pretty close.
Ken

OP
OP
M

muddybuddy

On a Bobcat brand you should be ok up to the top of the chain case provided your axel seals are all good, there is a vent on the chaincase top that might let water in. Also if you flood out the main drive belt from the engine to the pumps is will likely slip and you may end up sitting. Not sure which is lower just off hand.
I would think 1/2 way up the tire would be pretty close.
Ken
Thanks guys, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Skiddy

The biggest fear i'd have is what are you driving on? you don't want to drive on something like mud that you will simply sink into and get stuck and sink.
i'm sure there are several people that have drowned in the seat of a bobcat! That would suck!

Latest posts