M610, I think I broke it again

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fugarwe

With all the snow up here in Minnesota I've been pushing lots of it for hours with a plow mounted on the front. Today while pushing I noticed that the variable speed seemed to be adjusting itself. When I would push it forward for higher speeds, the engine would bog down like something was binding. This was without any other inputs, not trying to move or run the hydraulics. If I tried to do any of that, it would die. I found it tricky to get the variable speed high enough to do what I wanted, and then it seemed to change, going back to slow. I parked it in the shed and looked, and I think the one sheave is wobbly. It looks like there is worn metal on the shaft, and on the three bolts holding the spring. I have the manual, and while it tells me how to take it apart, I'm wondering what exactly is wrong with it? What kind of use/abuse causes this failure? I have a parts machine, and the variable looks normal to my untrained eye, so tomorrow I will start the process of taking it apart.

OP
OP
F

fugarwe

After reading my manual, it's time for some correct terminology. I believe the driven sheave is the problem. I also located the elusive zirc on the assembly, and it's broken off. So, my lack of understanding of proper maint. and not getting grease on this part is probably answers one of my questions, no? I've got a split jackshaft on this unit, so can I just open up the variable drive all the way, and split the jack shaft to remove the driven sheave? Or do I have to undo the outside sheave on the engine shaft as the manual describes?

Tazza

Staff member
After reading my manual, it's time for some correct terminology. I believe the driven sheave is the problem. I also located the elusive zirc on the assembly, and it's broken off. So, my lack of understanding of proper maint. and not getting grease on this part is probably answers one of my questions, no? I've got a split jackshaft on this unit, so can I just open up the variable drive all the way, and split the jack shaft to remove the driven sheave? Or do I have to undo the outside sheave on the engine shaft as the manual describes?
Sadly i have never worked on one, the sheave can be rather complex, if it gets worn it simply won't work right. Is it leaking any oil?

OP
OP
F

fugarwe

Sadly i have never worked on one, the sheave can be rather complex, if it gets worn it simply won't work right. Is it leaking any oil?
Thanks for the reply. it's still sitting, and now I'm considering a 742. Anyway, its not leaking, as the sheave only has grease in it. If I get enough wood cut today, I'm going to try and pull it apart. Wish me luck.