lx885 vibration

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jxpiii

Hi all, been lurking for awhile while I have been learning all I can about this machine. Been around heavy equipment and skid steers all my life mostly Ford and New holland equipment but this is my first New Holland skid steer. My question is: It has a vibration in it much of the time that does not feel normal. You can "hear/feel" it in the boom and sheet metal more than anywhere else. It does not sound like it is down in the hydraulic system and does not really seem better or worse when moving or still. It is quite a bit more noticable when the boom is all the way down on its rests. It almost seems like the engine is out of balance. Does anyone have any experience or ideas with this problem or is this just the nature of the beast. Btw it has 2300 hrs. Thanks in advance for any help. jxp

Earthwerks Unlimited

You're likely hearing vibration coming from several sources, like mine does too. Left and right sheetmetal panels for the engine; the seat support rod near the headliner; and the tops of the boom lift cylinders shaking around on their pins---if you drop the boom some more it should go away. The shaking sheetmetal can be attenuated by some thin foam tapeat the bottom and the radiator upright.

busted_knuckles

Hi JXP,
My Lx885 shakes too (very fine vibration is probably a better description), noitcably starts just off idle, worst around 1250 rpm, starts getting better after 1500 rpm and then can be felt all the way to full throttle, of course the faster it runs, the better it feels, but it aint right. Due to the status of other equipment on the farm (other equipment with bigger problems), Ive not been able to tear into it to be sure, it has a busy daily schedule, but Im pretty sure the motor mounts are bad, or at least thats how mine shakes, in comparison to other machines Ive experienced the same problem. Pretty much as you describe, feels wrong, tin rattles bad at certain loads and speeds, worse with the boom up or down(cant remember which way it is on mine but seems my rattles much worse with the boom up or resting in the down posistion). Ive only got 1400hrs. Another user on the forums here confirmed my description, he had been there and done that, same generation/engine machine/description of problem. Some food for thought for you, or something to look at. Good Luck, Bill

Earthwerks Unlimited

Hi JXP,
My Lx885 shakes too (very fine vibration is probably a better description), noitcably starts just off idle, worst around 1250 rpm, starts getting better after 1500 rpm and then can be felt all the way to full throttle, of course the faster it runs, the better it feels, but it aint right. Due to the status of other equipment on the farm (other equipment with bigger problems), Ive not been able to tear into it to be sure, it has a busy daily schedule, but Im pretty sure the motor mounts are bad, or at least thats how mine shakes, in comparison to other machines Ive experienced the same problem. Pretty much as you describe, feels wrong, tin rattles bad at certain loads and speeds, worse with the boom up or down(cant remember which way it is on mine but seems my rattles much worse with the boom up or resting in the down posistion). Ive only got 1400hrs. Another user on the forums here confirmed my description, he had been there and done that, same generation/engine machine/description of problem. Some food for thought for you, or something to look at. Good Luck, Bill
The vibration I get comes and goes. My SS has a 3-cyl Cummins. And my Dodge has a 6. Both get a vibration that goes away--and comes back unpredictably. It the nature of the beast I guess. My machine did have a recall on the engine mounts collapsing. I didn't get it in the shop in time and didn't get it done though.

OP
OP
J

jxpiii

The vibration I get comes and goes. My SS has a 3-cyl Cummins. And my Dodge has a 6. Both get a vibration that goes away--and comes back unpredictably. It the nature of the beast I guess. My machine did have a recall on the engine mounts collapsing. I didn't get it in the shop in time and didn't get it done though.
Thanks very much for the information. That makes perfect sence. As much mechanic work as I have done I should have thought of motor mounts. I just assumed (and we know what that means) that it was something much more complicated. It is supposed to rain here wed thru sat. I should have plenty of time to check into them. Thanks again for the info. Joe

busted_knuckles

Thanks very much for the information. That makes perfect sence. As much mechanic work as I have done I should have thought of motor mounts. I just assumed (and we know what that means) that it was something much more complicated. It is supposed to rain here wed thru sat. I should have plenty of time to check into them. Thanks again for the info. Joe
Hi Joe,
I did the same thing, started thinking about all the pumps, and stuff moving, never gave the motor mounts a thought, just assumed it was something way worse coming apart. If you get around to diagnosising and or fixing your vibration, how about reply to this post so we know what you found, or if I get around to it first, I will too. There will be others behind us trying to figure out the same thing, and thats the beauty of the posts, a record saved so we dont have to keep re-inventing the wheel, so to speak!! Thanks, Bill

highlife

Hi Joe,
I did the same thing, started thinking about all the pumps, and stuff moving, never gave the motor mounts a thought, just assumed it was something way worse coming apart. If you get around to diagnosising and or fixing your vibration, how about reply to this post so we know what you found, or if I get around to it first, I will too. There will be others behind us trying to figure out the same thing, and thats the beauty of the posts, a record saved so we dont have to keep re-inventing the wheel, so to speak!! Thanks, Bill
yep, me too. idle or slightly above, it rattles and somtimes shakes the whole machine . on mine it is worse when the boom is in the rest or lowest position. at first i thought i was going to throw a rod right thourgh the block, but its not that. will check this weekend. and will reply when i find out. man i hope its the motor mounts !

Earthwerks Unlimited

yep, me too. idle or slightly above, it rattles and somtimes shakes the whole machine . on mine it is worse when the boom is in the rest or lowest position. at first i thought i was going to throw a rod right thourgh the block, but its not that. will check this weekend. and will reply when i find out. man i hope its the motor mounts !
Motor mounts are one thing, but the come-and-go vibration is another thing. Like I said, my '03 Dodge Cummins does the same thing--some times.
Mine will run fine at all RPM one day and hiccup the next day. I think it's more fuel-related combustion missing that is showing up as the vibration. When mine's running smooth there is no vibration. And I forget to look into the problem--that is-- UNTIL next time.

tech.35058

If it was a "new" vibration, it will probably have a new cause.
My LX865 developed a "new" vibration a while back. I discovered the left hand servo pump mounting bolts loose, (one lost), pump about to fall off. Re secured pump, that vibration gone, but still lots of vibration. Pumps currently out for shaft seal replacement, I see a protrusion on the pump rubbed/beat a hole in the frame. Ick.

Spud85farmer

Hi all, been lurking for awhile while I have been learning all I can about this machine. Been around heavy equipment and skid steers all my life mostly Ford and New holland equipment but this is my first New Holland skid steer. My question is: It has a vibration in it much of the time that does not feel normal. You can "hear/feel" it in the boom and sheet metal more than anywhere else. It does not sound like it is down in the hydraulic system and does not really seem better or worse when moving or still. It is quite a bit more noticable when the boom is all the way down on its rests. It almost seems like the engine is out of balance. Does anyone have any experience or ideas with this problem or is this just the nature of the beast. Btw it has 2300 hrs. Thanks in advance for any help. jxp
mine has the same rattle you are describing. while driving it, the rattle comes and goes. I put my hand on the cage in different areas and if I push the case just in the right spot the loud rattle goes away or diminishes. I haven't looked into it yet to be sure but I think its just sheetmetal slapping. good luck