LX 665 Parking Brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bumpytruck

I have a 99 665 with about 1500hrs. I owned it since new. The problem is with the parking brake. Ihad it back 3 times in the first year,and the dealer was unhelpful to say the least."It was out of adjustment" Was all I heard.They said I must be running it with the brake on.I took it in the second year and the dealer charged me $1300 and put new pads and told me to stop driving with the brake on.I DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE BRAKE ON. It seems to work perfect and the next time I pull it,it is completely gone.I have readjusted myself a couple times by removing the bell cranks from the splined shafts and putting them back on.My question is,how can I prevent this from happening? and why is it happening?Anyone else with this problem?I have seen other machines like mine with a block under the wheel,and I have read ads for sale stating the brake don't work.so I'm not completely alone.Thanks Joe

mllud

Joe I have an lx 865 that I believe has the same brake system.I think the pads must still be dragging when the brake is off. Ive adjusted mine twice by the book and it will work fine for the first couple times and then continue to get weaker.
If the lever arm on the bell crank was longer it would pull them back a little farther when they are off. I know a guy with a lx665 that has the same problem. Poor design? Mike

OP
OP
B

bumpytruck

Joe I have an lx 865 that I believe has the same brake system.I think the pads must still be dragging when the brake is off. Ive adjusted mine twice by the book and it will work fine for the first couple times and then continue to get weaker.
If the lever arm on the bell crank was longer it would pull them back a little farther when they are off. I know a guy with a lx665 that has the same problem. Poor design? Mike
I figured that the brake lever that you pull up on was popping up when you drive and bounce around.So I welded a little tab on the machine and installed a spring,to keep the lever down while the machine was in use. But the problem still persists.I don't know if it is from having the brake on during transport?The machine is also chained down when I transport it,so its not just the brake holding it in place.I've searched and have found nothing.Sometimes a dealer shop mechanic surfs these forums and they would probably have an answer.