Lug replace Cat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

I installed 8 Larry lugs on a cat(don't deserve a CAP ,ron) 287 track which the drive lugs had broke off on and it worked out so far , it wasn't hard to do and didn't even take an hour to do and cost about $300 with the templet and death grinder to do 8 , it is very messy , a little dangerous and probally unhealthy , the grinding wheel that they sell is a toothed 4 inch grinding wheel which is very aggressive , you have to grind the area where the new lug will sit flat without grinding into the Kevlar threads while the track is on the machine , you are working upside down and it's right in your face , the wheel will bite in and throw the grinder if you hit it too hard , it's about impossible to do a good job without having the exhaust throwing towards you at one point or another , the drill gauge , drilling and bolting up was a snap -------my thoughts on unhealthy is from Kevlar dust cause I am sure I hit the cores a few times , I had on a mask but the dust was every where , in my hair , ears , clothes and every where else , any body know where Kevlar ranks on the cancer chart --------I think if the speed of the grinder were turned down it would be easier to controll the grinder , I have one of them Heavy duty rostat thingees and will try turning it down next time , may also use the Blair grinder to knock down the bulk and clean up with a tire buffer wheel on an air grinder with a vavle on the air inlet

siduramaxde

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but maybe you could use an electric buffer next time?? The buffer I have hs a dial for the speed and has plenty of torque and speed to be used as a grinder. It also has a "slow start" feature.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but maybe you could use an electric buffer next time?? The buffer I have hs a dial for the speed and has plenty of torque and speed to be used as a grinder. It also has a "slow start" feature.
Sounds good , you do need someting small as the 41/2" grinder barely fits in between the bottom of the tack and the roller frame , I had a really crazy idea to make a branding iron out of steel and heat it with the torch and melt and scrape the area down , sounds smelly

bobcat_ron

Sounds good , you do need someting small as the 41/2" grinder barely fits in between the bottom of the tack and the roller frame , I had a really crazy idea to make a branding iron out of steel and heat it with the torch and melt and scrape the area down , sounds smelly
I still think it's best to remove the track completely if yo have more than 4 lugs to do.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I still think it's best to remove the track completely if yo have more than 4 lugs to do.
How do you remove the track from a 287 easily , it takes me 4 hours , two people and a piece of machinery , to put one track on , have never really found an easy way , I usually cut the old track off when going with a new track , to take one off and put the same trak back on would be an 8 hour job , a utility knife will cut a Cat track in half with about 7 pulls across so I never save the old track , I take off the front idler which helps some but it is a horrible job , doing a Bobcat track with another Bobcat and forks by myself I can do it in 10 minutes including pumpig it back up with an air powered grease gun , I don't see what you see in Cat , Ron , I truely hate working on them , nothing is easy