Lucas oil Stabilizer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mllud

I bought some lucas oil stabilizer to add to my gear reduction gearboxes. I also am going to use it in the gearbox on the back of the engine.
I would like to know If many of you guys use it in your engines.I have 65 hours on a full rebuild. I have never been much on additives. They seem to sell a lot of this stuff. Mike

sandhills-elect

Mike, make sure you have it well broke-in before you use lucas in the engine. May cause ring failure if they are not seeted well. i use it in all my deisel motor with great results. But that is just me. I had a motor on my trencher set for three months and i had to do a head gasket and it looked like i had just run it the day before with all the lucas on the rockers. That means no dry starts for me. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it not for everyone. I run soy bean oil in the fuel lots cheaper and does the same thing. See ya round here Brent.

perry

Mike, make sure you have it well broke-in before you use lucas in the engine. May cause ring failure if they are not seeted well. i use it in all my deisel motor with great results. But that is just me. I had a motor on my trencher set for three months and i had to do a head gasket and it looked like i had just run it the day before with all the lucas on the rockers. That means no dry starts for me. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it not for everyone. I run soy bean oil in the fuel lots cheaper and does the same thing. See ya round here Brent.
IMO, all those additives you see on the shelves, over promise. If there was an oil, fuel additive absolutely proven to benefit, you would have a hard time finding it on the shelves. The only additive I use is MoS2, molybdenum disulfide. Everything you want to know about is on the net, NASA uses it and it's made by dow corning. You won't find it at your local parts store. obtw, there is a new lubricant made from tungsten, I don't know much about it other than it's suppose to be better than MoS2.

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

IMO, all those additives you see on the shelves, over promise. If there was an oil, fuel additive absolutely proven to benefit, you would have a hard time finding it on the shelves. The only additive I use is MoS2, molybdenum disulfide. Everything you want to know about is on the net, NASA uses it and it's made by dow corning. You won't find it at your local parts store. obtw, there is a new lubricant made from tungsten, I don't know much about it other than it's suppose to be better than MoS2.
Ill take a look at that MoS2. The thing I was looking at with the Lucas oil is the way it stays with the Gears. They have a display in the parts store with gears that you crank and you can see that the side with the Lucas stays with the gears.My loader sits for a couple weeks here and there.For the gearboxes i dont see how it could hurt. [The engine is where I hesitate.]
I havent read about the Mo82 yet but isnt it one that has thimgs that bond with the metal and work as a lubricant. Anything made by Dupont is probably well tested. I believe my rings are seated but I should probably give the engine 100 hours or so before I add anything.
The gear reduction boxes on my drive motors whine when traveling at full speed. My pumps are also gear driven. A gear on the crankshaft drives the pumps.I believe most of the whine is coming from the reduction boxes because as the load shifts forward and back it changes tone. I would think that the gears that drive the pumps would stay under a more constant load.
I have a fresh engine but my loader has about 4000 hours.N/H LX865. I have no problems but I would lihe to keep everything lubricated . The inner bearing on the wheel hubs is oiled by the chain case oil.It seems like an oil that is sticky would stay with the bearing better after sitting.
The gears would probably get lubed withen a few seconds but that inner wheel bearing could take a littlt travel before the chain carries oil up to the bearing. The outer takes grease.
Im probably worring about beans.When you bolt a gearbox to a hollow chain case its bound to magnify the sound.I should drive someone elses N/H too see if its the same. Mike

sterlclan

Ill take a look at that MoS2. The thing I was looking at with the Lucas oil is the way it stays with the Gears. They have a display in the parts store with gears that you crank and you can see that the side with the Lucas stays with the gears.My loader sits for a couple weeks here and there.For the gearboxes i dont see how it could hurt. [The engine is where I hesitate.]
I havent read about the Mo82 yet but isnt it one that has thimgs that bond with the metal and work as a lubricant. Anything made by Dupont is probably well tested. I believe my rings are seated but I should probably give the engine 100 hours or so before I add anything.
The gear reduction boxes on my drive motors whine when traveling at full speed. My pumps are also gear driven. A gear on the crankshaft drives the pumps.I believe most of the whine is coming from the reduction boxes because as the load shifts forward and back it changes tone. I would think that the gears that drive the pumps would stay under a more constant load.
I have a fresh engine but my loader has about 4000 hours.N/H LX865. I have no problems but I would lihe to keep everything lubricated . The inner bearing on the wheel hubs is oiled by the chain case oil.It seems like an oil that is sticky would stay with the bearing better after sitting.
The gears would probably get lubed withen a few seconds but that inner wheel bearing could take a littlt travel before the chain carries oil up to the bearing. The outer takes grease.
Im probably worring about beans.When you bolt a gearbox to a hollow chain case its bound to magnify the sound.I should drive someone elses N/H too see if its the same. Mike
Ive used lucas for years in all kinds of applications works mint .....Jeff

perry

Ive used lucas for years in all kinds of applications works mint .....Jeff
Mllud, that's correct, it bonds with the metal and has a operating temperature range of about -60 to 700 degrees. Don't put in machinery that needs initial metal to metal seating such as a newly rebuilt engine. It's not a fix-all or cure, it's for longevity protection. It doesn't take much I put a cup in the engine and hyd. reservoir once a year or sooner if you work everyday.

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

Mllud, that's correct, it bonds with the metal and has a operating temperature range of about -60 to 700 degrees. Don't put in machinery that needs initial metal to metal seating such as a newly rebuilt engine. It's not a fix-all or cure, it's for longevity protection. It doesn't take much I put a cup in the engine and hyd. reservoir once a year or sooner if you work everyday.
Perry; I am going to use the MoS2 in the engine I think Ill wait too 100 hours. I made an effort to break my engine right. Worked it hard a little varied loads and rpms.If you putt putt a new engine around Too much rings may never seat.At 65 hours I get no smoke accept a little black under load,as expected. I put the lucas in the gearboxes and chain cases. anything that keeps the oil on parts to prevent dry start up .I guess I will use the MoS2 also in the hydraulic system.
I dont use my loader daily. It stays on my 5 acres. I make up things to do with it. Best tool Ive ever had. I was looking at compact tractors and decided on the skid steer. They both serve a purpose but the skid steer is just so versital. Mike

perry

Perry; I am going to use the MoS2 in the engine I think Ill wait too 100 hours. I made an effort to break my engine right. Worked it hard a little varied loads and rpms.If you putt putt a new engine around Too much rings may never seat.At 65 hours I get no smoke accept a little black under load,as expected. I put the lucas in the gearboxes and chain cases. anything that keeps the oil on parts to prevent dry start up .I guess I will use the MoS2 also in the hydraulic system.
I dont use my loader daily. It stays on my 5 acres. I make up things to do with it. Best tool Ive ever had. I was looking at compact tractors and decided on the skid steer. They both serve a purpose but the skid steer is just so versital. Mike
I noticed it saturates well and turns hyd. fluid and engine oil 'green'. When i first heard about I called one of the engineers at dow corning and ask about applications, he told me uses MoS2 in his corvette. Don't ever use it in automatic transmissions, manual performance transmissions or limited slip rear ends. They need some friction to operate normally.

SkidRoe

IMHO, Lucas is better than STP ever was.
Totally agree - I run it in all my old stuff, happy with the results!! Better oil pressure, less wear, less oil consumption (my Norton uses oil no matter what you do - lol)

foton

this is just what I was told, I have a zero turn mower that uses a hyrdo gear transaxle, one side failed 239 hrs. so I contacted a rebuilder to see if there was a rebuild kit. He said he could do it for 500 bucks but a new one was 700 so why rebuild? I bought a new side he said to get between 25 and 50 hours on it and change the oil with lucas 20/50 motorcycle oil he claimed to get 3 times the hours out of a transaxle with using it. He also suggested the old unit to remove it ,drain the housing and refill within a inch of the fill plug. These units are listed as non serviceable, which to me is wrong as the oil can be changed out, if you want to extend the life of the unit. this rant is just a fyi and a I guess a plug for lucas.