LS170 Hard Starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mfyock

I have an LS170 that is hard starting after sitting for longer than 20 minutes. I checked out the glow plug system and it is working properly. As soon as I start the machine I can shut it off and it starts right up, but if it sits for 20 minutes or longer you have to crank it for a while untill it starts. I thought that the lift pump might have been bleeding off pressure, so I put in a new lift pump, and that didnt help at all. Anyone have any ideas? The previous owner said the engine has a miss, and he found a stuck plunger in the injection pump. Could he have messed something up in there? I was also wondering if maybe the fuel solenoid isnt always working properly??

Mike10

Did you remove all the glow plugs and check that each glow plug would actually heat up? Is there smoke coming out the exhaust pipe while cranking? If there is it would appear that fuel supply is not the issue.

Tazza

Staff member
Did you remove all the glow plugs and check that each glow plug would actually heat up? Is there smoke coming out the exhaust pipe while cranking? If there is it would appear that fuel supply is not the issue.
You mention that there was a miss, its possible that he did something to the pump to make it not pump correct amounts of fuel, but i assume its a 4 cylinder, so the other 3 should be ok. It also doesn't explain why its after 20 minutes that the problem comes back. Its as if the fuel is bleeding back leaving an air pocket that will make starting hard. After sitting 20 minutes, the glow plugs shouldn't be really critical unless the engine is rather worn.
I think its a good idea to ensure the glow plugs are in good shape, eliminate the easier things first.

OP
OP
M

mfyock

I didnt check that the glow plugs are getting hot, what I did was pull the electrical connection off then check each glow plug to ground with an OHM meter to make sure there wasnt an "open" glowplug. All the glowplugs checked out to be about 1/2 ohm resistance to ground. I will have to have someone crank it while I watch the exhaust. I havent been able to see it.

Mike10

I didnt check that the glow plugs are getting hot, what I did was pull the electrical connection off then check each glow plug to ground with an OHM meter to make sure there wasnt an "open" glowplug. All the glowplugs checked out to be about 1/2 ohm resistance to ground. I will have to have someone crank it while I watch the exhaust. I havent been able to see it.
If everything checks out ok then it is time for a compression test.