LS 180 skid steer shuts off

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hogdaddy57

I've got a 2000 NH LS180 that has started shutting down after running 45 secs - 1 minute. The air filter alarm light is the only thing new showing up, won't go off. Replaced inner and outer filters, disconnected negative battery terminal. It's still on and still shuts off. Seems to be the same amount of time every time. Thought I'd ask for some ideas on problem. Greg

Shanmar

The EIC will shut down automatically after 30 seconds if the engine oil pressure or hydrostatic charge pressure is low. But you're apparently not seeing an alarm and it doesn't explain the air filter light.

I wonder about ground connections.
There should be one with lots of wires on one of the bell housing bolts when you lift the seat.
There is a strap from the engine to the chassis. It's been awhile since I've looked at the LS180, but I'm thinking LH side bell housing area.
There is a small one up underneath the cab structure inside one of the fenders (LH?).
There is a strap between cab and chassis. I'm thinking LH front corner.
I imagine there is one up in the EIC/switch panel/fuse panel area but I can't recall that one. Haven't been in there a lot.

I have had bad connections in the sockets for the square relays in the engine bay and fuses cause me intermittent shut downs without warning. Had to wire in new relay or fuse holders.

Just some thoughts.

brdgbldr

I have no experience with your machine but here are a couple of questions that I would ask myself:

Could it be that the air sensor has gone bad? On some machines that I have worked on, if the air sensor comes on it will shut down the machine.

Is the machine shutting down like the air intake is blocked? Could there be an obstruction or something loose causing an obstruction when the machine is turned on?

Also check the exhaust. You block the exhaust and the machine will shut down. I've seen squirel stashes inside exhaust pipes that completely block them off. There could be something in there loose, that when the machine is turned on, jams up the pipe enough to shut down the engine.

Just some ideas.

TonyCT322

Does your machine have an anti-theft system? Mine would shut down after 30 seconds if the wrong code was entered. Dealer could not reset it, so had to replace the EIC. The error code could be unrelated to your issue.

B-Edwards

I just had to replace the charge pressure sensor on mine as it did the same thing but it had an error code show up that was appropriate to the problem.

hwilli

Clean the flat sensor in back of filter housing.
Take your hand and reach in the back. The sensor in on top of that. You can see the wires to it from the outside. Clean off the flat sensor. When my filter light comes on cleaning it take care of it. Blow out the filters and you done.

Latest posts