Low oil pressure 2001 863 Turbo G

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

willyg1997

I am in a little bit of a pickle here. Searched and reviewed a lot of related information on low oil pressure related to the Duetz, and I have done some homework. So, before I drop 5k on a rebuilt engine I just need some advice. I just purchased a 2001 863 with 1500 hours on it (very clean, orig paint, looked and ran good), from a place down in southern Iowa for $16k. When I got home (upper MN) I dropped it off to the local skid steer and tractor service shop, to have it inspected and a full service ( complete fluids/filters change, grease, and inspection). Last week the shop had me come in to take a look at the wheel bearings, and yes they were shot. So, I had them replace the wheel bearings, and at that time they did all the fluids and filters. Today I received a call, stating that the oil pressure light came on at idle, they checked the pressure (with a gauge) and they were getting 12psi at idle. They shut it down right away and called me. They told me that it was more than likely the main bearings were shot. They also said that when they did the oil change the oil that was in the engine was THICK, which prevented the low oil pressure light from coming on when they pulled it off the trailer and into their shop. And Ya, we all know what thick oil does to the oil pressure. Right now they are doing a compression check to see what the condition is of the top end. There does not seem to be any knocking. From there I need to make some decisions. Other then getting taken for purchasing a lemon (which I will deal with outside of this thread), Sure I could fill it back up with some heavy oil and sell it, but I'm not that type of person!! Any help/advice to dig deeper on this issue I am facing with the low oil pressure, while I am dealing with the service shop would be greatly appreciated. Going to be talking to him again in a couple hours. Thanks! Bill

Tazza

Staff member
That isn't great news..... If the oil pump is going out it could give lower oil pressure too.
If thicker oil helps bring the pressure up, i see no reason why doing the same is a bad idea. If it delays the need for a rebuild, it's all good.
Not loving the fact the more they look, the more they find that is bad.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

That isn't great news..... If the oil pump is going out it could give lower oil pressure too.
If thicker oil helps bring the pressure up, i see no reason why doing the same is a bad idea. If it delays the need for a rebuild, it's all good.
Not loving the fact the more they look, the more they find that is bad.
Thanks for the reply Tazza. Ya, not great news. Although they say all the hydraulic system is like new, So, hopefully it's not a total fail. I might have more then I want into it, but when it's all said and done hopefully it will be a new unit. Mostly I will be using it for fixing the driveway and substitute some of my youth years of lifting. I just talked to the shop and we are going to put in 30 weight back in, bring the skid up to operating temp and watch the oil pressure (as a test). Then run it for a bit to make sure the oil temp stays steady. If the temp starts to rise, then I am sure the bearings are shot. I am also going to install an oil pressure gauge in the cab to fully monitor the pressure. Too bad there isn't an easy way to test the oil pump. I was quoted 3500 for lower end bearing replacement including cam bearings , and 6800 for a complete rebuilt create engine. BTW, how the heck do you get the line breaks in the sentence. Mine just comes through as one paragraph, even with line spaces when I reply. thanks Bill

OldMachinist

Thanks for the reply Tazza. Ya, not great news. Although they say all the hydraulic system is like new, So, hopefully it's not a total fail. I might have more then I want into it, but when it's all said and done hopefully it will be a new unit. Mostly I will be using it for fixing the driveway and substitute some of my youth years of lifting. I just talked to the shop and we are going to put in 30 weight back in, bring the skid up to operating temp and watch the oil pressure (as a test). Then run it for a bit to make sure the oil temp stays steady. If the temp starts to rise, then I am sure the bearings are shot. I am also going to install an oil pressure gauge in the cab to fully monitor the pressure. Too bad there isn't an easy way to test the oil pump. I was quoted 3500 for lower end bearing replacement including cam bearings , and 6800 for a complete rebuilt create engine. BTW, how the heck do you get the line breaks in the sentence. Mine just comes through as one paragraph, even with line spaces when I reply. thanks Bill
To get paragraphs go to your forum profile, scroll to the bottom, click the box for "Use HTML Editor" and then click "Update user information".
If you are using a browser other than IE then this may not work.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

To get paragraphs go to your forum profile, scroll to the bottom, click the box for "Use HTML Editor" and then click "Update user information".
If you are using a browser other than IE then this may not work.
Thanks OldMachinist. Wel just stopped in at the shop and the test with the 30 wt failed. Oil temp 190* and oil pressure dropped to 8 psi. The engine sounded really good. So, I ask him to check and clean the three pressure control valves. If that doesn't work then replace the oil pump and timing belt as long as he is in there. Now if it stiil doesn't have oil pressure then I am guessing it's the bearings. ??

1ofU

Thanks OldMachinist. Wel just stopped in at the shop and the test with the 30 wt failed. Oil temp 190* and oil pressure dropped to 8 psi. The engine sounded really good. So, I ask him to check and clean the three pressure control valves. If that doesn't work then replace the oil pump and timing belt as long as he is in there. Now if it stiil doesn't have oil pressure then I am guessing it's the bearings. ??
if you add a oil gauge let me know where you tap in at as i have a 873 with
the Bics system and i carry 4bars on the oil pressure but i would still like to add a
manual since oil is the life of this engine from cooling to lubing it .
Thanks Jess

lesgawlik

if you add a oil gauge let me know where you tap in at as i have a 873 with
the Bics system and i carry 4bars on the oil pressure but i would still like to add a
manual since oil is the life of this engine from cooling to lubing it .
Thanks Jess
I had the same issue. If this is the BF4M1011F, have you checked for plastic pieces from the dipstick? The dipstick originally came with plastic pieces that broke and lodged throughout the engine. Sometimes those pieces got stuck in the oil pressure relief valve, which will give low oil pressure. The dipsticks have been re-designed, so because your dipstick may look good now doesn't mean you don't have that problem. The dipstick in my machine had been replaced by a previous owner, and looked perfect despite the pieces that were caught in the pressure valve. That's the first place to look since it's fairly easy and really cheap.

1ofU

I had the same issue. If this is the BF4M1011F, have you checked for plastic pieces from the dipstick? The dipstick originally came with plastic pieces that broke and lodged throughout the engine. Sometimes those pieces got stuck in the oil pressure relief valve, which will give low oil pressure. The dipsticks have been re-designed, so because your dipstick may look good now doesn't mean you don't have that problem. The dipstick in my machine had been replaced by a previous owner, and looked perfect despite the pieces that were caught in the pressure valve. That's the first place to look since it's fairly easy and really cheap.
after reading about the dip stick on here , i went and looked at mine i had a tiny piece off of one of the ribs on mine i took a air grinder and removed the 3 ribs so it is all smooth around there now . even if yours are not chipped i would remove them just for piece of mind in the future .
Jess

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

after reading about the dip stick on here , i went and looked at mine i had a tiny piece off of one of the ribs on mine i took a air grinder and removed the 3 ribs so it is all smooth around there now . even if yours are not chipped i would remove them just for piece of mind in the future .
Jess
Ya, I will make sure I check the dip stick.
I stopped back in to the shop and the controle valves were clean and in good condition. Although the oil pump was shot. New oil pump on order, and hopefully next week we will find out if this is the fix.
Where can I pick up an up graded dip stick?
Thanks
Bill

kroog

Ya, I will make sure I check the dip stick.
I stopped back in to the shop and the controle valves were clean and in good condition. Although the oil pump was shot. New oil pump on order, and hopefully next week we will find out if this is the fix.
Where can I pick up an up graded dip stick?
Thanks
Bill
You have a Deutz BF4M1011F engine as do I. Deutz strongly recommends ONLY 5W40 full synthetic engine oil due to you having an oil cooled engine. I would try that first. Did the shop sample the oil. Duetz spec is 20psi at low idle.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

You have a Deutz BF4M1011F engine as do I. Deutz strongly recommends ONLY 5W40 full synthetic engine oil due to you having an oil cooled engine. I would try that first. Did the shop sample the oil. Duetz spec is 20psi at low idle.
Yes, they originally had the 5W40 Syn when they first found the low oil pressure, 8psi at idle. They only ran the 30w as a test only to see if it would bring the pressure up, to help trouble shoot the next step. Once the new oil pump in in we will fill it back up with the correct oil. Thanks Bill

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

Yes, they originally had the 5W40 Syn when they first found the low oil pressure, 8psi at idle. They only ran the 30w as a test only to see if it would bring the pressure up, to help trouble shoot the next step. Once the new oil pump in in we will fill it back up with the correct oil. Thanks Bill
New oil pump installed yesterday. At 195 deg operating temp she was putting out 26 psi at idle. Hopefully the oil pump was the root cause for the low oil pressure, and this Deutz will give me a few more hours. Thanks for everyone's help. Bill

Tazza

Staff member
New oil pump installed yesterday. At 195 deg operating temp she was putting out 26 psi at idle. Hopefully the oil pump was the root cause for the low oil pressure, and this Deutz will give me a few more hours. Thanks for everyone's help. Bill
That is good to hear. I have always wondered why oil pumps can wear with pretty low hours. The engine oil does get particles in it before the oil filter catches them. They run very low pressures vs hydraulic systems that would have far higher stresses on them.

biggie

Not that I'm a big fan of them. But the Duetz engine was a horse. All you had to do was change oil, and check the timing belt. When the belt skipped,all it would do is bend a push rod.