looking to buy a new machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jet3

Hello - new to the forum and owning a ctl. I am looking to buy a machine for mostly weekend warrior stuff. I own some hunting land, and I am looking for a machine for general dirt moving, road maintenance, and probably running a brush cutter to clear some of the land. I have been dealing with the local bobcat dealer for a used machine. They have been steering me toward a 05 T-180 with about 1800 hours. I guess I am just looking for some thoughts/suggestions from experienced operators/owners. Will the T180 be suitable for my needs? The hours seem pretty normal for a used machine - I guess? Any advice, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I have never owned a CTL...

lesgawlik

I bought a similar machine, a T-200, for similar work. It was the ideal machine for me. I knew very little about skidsteers in general, and nothing about CTLs. I lucked into this machine. It was a former rental machine, with about 4500 hours. It was used a lot for concrete work, and the outside was rough. But it had been maintained very well, and I had a great shop do a pre-purchase inspection. I've had it for more than a year, and right now it's away at the shop for some preventive maintenance. As far as machines, it's perfect for my needs. Here are some high and low points: track machines are more expensive to run, in general, than wheel machines. A good track machine is cheaper to run than a bad wheel machine. Tracks don't last too long on asphalt, concrete or rocks. Tracks perform beautifully in mud and loose soil, as long as it isn't so deep that you high center on it. Tracks don't do well on snow, except that tracks will ride up a ramp of snow in a way that wheels won't. I've used mine for some stumping, lots of digging and grading. Get a bucket with a cutting edge, and a tooth bar. That sufficed for 75% of my dirt work. I have a little backhoe attachment that uses the lift and tilt functions of the T-200 to dig. That has been great for what I've needed.

OP
OP
J

jet3

I bought a similar machine, a T-200, for similar work. It was the ideal machine for me. I knew very little about skidsteers in general, and nothing about CTLs. I lucked into this machine. It was a former rental machine, with about 4500 hours. It was used a lot for concrete work, and the outside was rough. But it had been maintained very well, and I had a great shop do a pre-purchase inspection. I've had it for more than a year, and right now it's away at the shop for some preventive maintenance. As far as machines, it's perfect for my needs. Here are some high and low points: track machines are more expensive to run, in general, than wheel machines. A good track machine is cheaper to run than a bad wheel machine. Tracks don't last too long on asphalt, concrete or rocks. Tracks perform beautifully in mud and loose soil, as long as it isn't so deep that you high center on it. Tracks don't do well on snow, except that tracks will ride up a ramp of snow in a way that wheels won't. I've used mine for some stumping, lots of digging and grading. Get a bucket with a cutting edge, and a tooth bar. That sufficed for 75% of my dirt work. I have a little backhoe attachment that uses the lift and tilt functions of the T-200 to dig. That has been great for what I've needed.
Thanks for the info. I was warned about the expense of the track machines, but since it will only be on dirt - soft and wet dirt mostly I figured tracks was the way to go - stumping, digging/moving dirt, clearing, and just general piddling around will be the main use. I doubt I will put tons of hours on the machine during the year

lesgawlik

Thanks for the info. I was warned about the expense of the track machines, but since it will only be on dirt - soft and wet dirt mostly I figured tracks was the way to go - stumping, digging/moving dirt, clearing, and just general piddling around will be the main use. I doubt I will put tons of hours on the machine during the year
There are some things you can check before purchasing it. The drive motors use a small amount of a very, very expensive oil. I think the oil is on the order to $100 for the ounce or two it takes to replace it. However, when the drive motors start to fail, that oil loads up with very small metal flakes, making it look like iridescent paint. I don't know if I would trust the dealer that was selling it, but if you could get an independent mechanic to take a look at it, it might be worthwhile to pay to have that oil changed. If it looks good, you've minimized the chance those motors will fail right away. Each motor costs between $2,000 and $5,000 to replace or rebuild, depending upon the details. Check the case drain filters for metal particulates, as well. The one thing I have learned from reading this forum is that a skid steer can cost you as much or more in repairs as you paid for it, if things start going bad in a big way. I've read that some hydraulic pumps and motors can go 10,000 hours, so the opportunity to get a good, reliable machine is certainly possible. On the other hand, horror stories abound.

7LBSSMALLIE

There are some things you can check before purchasing it. The drive motors use a small amount of a very, very expensive oil. I think the oil is on the order to $100 for the ounce or two it takes to replace it. However, when the drive motors start to fail, that oil loads up with very small metal flakes, making it look like iridescent paint. I don't know if I would trust the dealer that was selling it, but if you could get an independent mechanic to take a look at it, it might be worthwhile to pay to have that oil changed. If it looks good, you've minimized the chance those motors will fail right away. Each motor costs between $2,000 and $5,000 to replace or rebuild, depending upon the details. Check the case drain filters for metal particulates, as well. The one thing I have learned from reading this forum is that a skid steer can cost you as much or more in repairs as you paid for it, if things start going bad in a big way. I've read that some hydraulic pumps and motors can go 10,000 hours, so the opportunity to get a good, reliable machine is certainly possible. On the other hand, horror stories abound.
outstanding post a prior to purchase check out is money well spent .maint records and code list is the car fax of the skidsteer world. if purchasing from a bobcat dealer rest assured maintt has been done (and will have records) if jimmy joes lawnmower and rental shop. i can not say? auction units run fast and far, wouldnt be there if didnott have issues. used equip is becoming scarce these days.3 years ago market was flooded. now not so much. dealers are buying up squarin away , giving warr. and selling with confidence that all partys are coming out well.

7LBSSMALLIE

outstanding post a prior to purchase check out is money well spent .maint records and code list is the car fax of the skidsteer world. if purchasing from a bobcat dealer rest assured maintt has been done (and will have records) if jimmy joes lawnmower and rental shop. i can not say? auction units run fast and far, wouldnt be there if didnott have issues. used equip is becoming scarce these days.3 years ago market was flooded. now not so much. dealers are buying up squarin away , giving warr. and selling with confidence that all partys are coming out well.
to clarfiy from there rental fleet. keep in mind that rental fleet is a stong sales tool, bottom of contact has purchase price, when a unit looks good feels smells good, ac works etc you gotta like it. lack of maint will cost the dealer as much as owner operator ,being in there best intrest to keep it solid, moreso than owner,

lesgawlik

to clarfiy from there rental fleet. keep in mind that rental fleet is a stong sales tool, bottom of contact has purchase price, when a unit looks good feels smells good, ac works etc you gotta like it. lack of maint will cost the dealer as much as owner operator ,being in there best intrest to keep it solid, moreso than owner,
The story of my machine was interesting. When it went into pre-purchase, it was very hard starting and ran poorly. I think that's why the rental company sold it to the fellow I bought it from. My shop checked the compression, and it was okay. The injectors tested fine. They replaced two glow plugs, but that didn't eliminate the problem. I wanted to have the timing belt replaced, since in the Deutz the timing belt is a known replacement item. Turns out replacing the timing belt made it purr like a kitten. It starts with less than a second of cranking, and runs great. A few months after I bought it, I met one of the local mechanics who worked on machines for the rental company. He was familiar with the machine, and asked me what every happened with the engine - "did they rebuild it". So he knew there was a problem with it, but didn't know or take the time to find out what was wrong with it. The timing belt was not a very expensive. I think if the rental company had spent the time and money to replace the belt, they could have sold the machine for much more.

OP
OP
J

jet3

The story of my machine was interesting. When it went into pre-purchase, it was very hard starting and ran poorly. I think that's why the rental company sold it to the fellow I bought it from. My shop checked the compression, and it was okay. The injectors tested fine. They replaced two glow plugs, but that didn't eliminate the problem. I wanted to have the timing belt replaced, since in the Deutz the timing belt is a known replacement item. Turns out replacing the timing belt made it purr like a kitten. It starts with less than a second of cranking, and runs great. A few months after I bought it, I met one of the local mechanics who worked on machines for the rental company. He was familiar with the machine, and asked me what every happened with the engine - "did they rebuild it". So he knew there was a problem with it, but didn't know or take the time to find out what was wrong with it. The timing belt was not a very expensive. I think if the rental company had spent the time and money to replace the belt, they could have sold the machine for much more.
Thanks for the info - I guess being the newbe that I am, maintenance records would be a great place to start - I had not thought about that but if its a rental unit from the dealer the maintenance records should be a good place to start. I am pretty sure I don't have the confidence or knowledge/expertise to buy from an individual without any maintenance records

lesgawlik

Thanks for the info - I guess being the newbe that I am, maintenance records would be a great place to start - I had not thought about that but if its a rental unit from the dealer the maintenance records should be a good place to start. I am pretty sure I don't have the confidence or knowledge/expertise to buy from an individual without any maintenance records
I bought my machine without reference to any maintenance records. My machine was from a rental fleet, but had been purchased by a broker. I was not familiar with the rental company, and I didn't know the details of my machine's ownership until well after I bought it. The only thing I had was a pre-purchase inspection.