Looking at a 873 comments ??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1ofU

looking to purchase a 1999 873 with 2800 hrs $ 12.000.00
dont look beat , tires are 75%
paint is preety fair , looking for any comments on this unit .
good, bad ,, ugly ??
Thanks Jess

sstec

Has the timing belt ever been changed?
Love mine, got at 1540 hours a few years back. As OM says" has timing belt been changed" Do it and check the other usual stuff, any cracks in the lift arms? Mine is a 1999 as well, simple less "new" system BS. . . . The newer S650's are nice but not 30k + better for me. sstec

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Love mine, got at 1540 hours a few years back. As OM says" has timing belt been changed" Do it and check the other usual stuff, any cracks in the lift arms? Mine is a 1999 as well, simple less "new" system BS. . . . The newer S650's are nice but not 30k + better for me. sstec
Hello,
after looking at 4 different 873's i bought the fourth one i looked at them from 96 to 99
the one i bought is a 97 i was told , will send a email out to Bobcat with the serial so i will see for sure if it's a 97 like i was told as well as purching parts etc.. for this one .
i had a 10 to 15 K to work with , this one was listed for 12.500.00 on Demoines Craigs list and i got it for 10.500.00 cash . it's super clean both inside and out has 3900 hrs
and the belts has been changed at 3000.hrs .
new tires , new bucket overall a nice looking machine .
will post some pics and ask when i need some help .
need to add some heat and enclose the cab for winter work
cutting wood and pushin snow .
1 of U
Jess
DSC02401_zps922700f4.jpg

photo DSC02401_zps922700f4.jpg

DSC02402_zps197e8960.jpg

DSC02402_zps197e8960.jpg

DSC02404_zpsb2671ae2.jpg

DSC02404_zpsb2671ae2.jpg

Bobcatdan

Hello,
after looking at 4 different 873's i bought the fourth one i looked at them from 96 to 99
the one i bought is a 97 i was told , will send a email out to Bobcat with the serial so i will see for sure if it's a 97 like i was told as well as purching parts etc.. for this one .
i had a 10 to 15 K to work with , this one was listed for 12.500.00 on Demoines Craigs list and i got it for 10.500.00 cash . it's super clean both inside and out has 3900 hrs
and the belts has been changed at 3000.hrs .
new tires , new bucket overall a nice looking machine .
will post some pics and ask when i need some help .
need to add some heat and enclose the cab for winter work
cutting wood and pushin snow .
1 of U
Jess
Let's see, what is all to say about 873s. Overall good machines, I like them. Don't put tracks on it. Early ones have smaller axles shafts that are not strong enough. Check the rear motor mount. The original one was fabicated, it likes to crack and break. The replacement is casted. The original engine dipstick has three ribs on it that break off. The pieces can jam the thermostat. The replacement doesn't have the ribs. Check the small fuel return lines between the injectors, those like to leak. If you want to add heat, a small electric heater would be easiest. Since the dutez is oil cooled, the factory uses engine oil to heat the cab. Like others said, the timing belt is important to do every 3,000. Do it a couple 100 hhours early. Also what the arms, they like to crack. Have fun with it.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Let's see, what is all to say about 873s. Overall good machines, I like them. Don't put tracks on it. Early ones have smaller axles shafts that are not strong enough. Check the rear motor mount. The original one was fabicated, it likes to crack and break. The replacement is casted. The original engine dipstick has three ribs on it that break off. The pieces can jam the thermostat. The replacement doesn't have the ribs. Check the small fuel return lines between the injectors, those like to leak. If you want to add heat, a small electric heater would be easiest. Since the dutez is oil cooled, the factory uses engine oil to heat the cab. Like others said, the timing belt is important to do every 3,000. Do it a couple 100 hhours early. Also what the arms, they like to crack. Have fun with it.
Dan
i checked with Bobcat on the ser# turns out this is a 8-96 machine , is this one a early one with the smaller axles that you mentioned in your reply ? i really like the machine it has a lot of power and lift compared to the 825 Bobcat that i had last year and i would like to add a set of tracks .
i finished the mods that i wanted to do to the machine , i enclosed the cab and built a door
out of lexan , added air horns, strobe light, a fan , dome light , and a small 12 volt heater in the cab and coffee cup holder so i'm ready to cut wood and push snow .
Thanks for the replies
Jess

Bobcatdan

Dan
i checked with Bobcat on the ser# turns out this is a 8-96 machine , is this one a early one with the smaller axles that you mentioned in your reply ? i really like the machine it has a lot of power and lift compared to the 825 Bobcat that i had last year and i would like to add a set of tracks .
i finished the mods that i wanted to do to the machine , i enclosed the cab and built a door
out of lexan , added air horns, strobe light, a fan , dome light , and a small 12 volt heater in the cab and coffee cup holder so i'm ready to cut wood and push snow .
Thanks for the replies
Jess
Going by it only having one big axle bolt, I'm pretty sure it is the small axle. The axle shaft is pretty much the same size as a S175. The bigger axle had three axle bolts. Not saying you can't put tracks on, but I have seen plenty of snapped off axle shafts.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Going by it only having one big axle bolt, I'm pretty sure it is the small axle. The axle shaft is pretty much the same size as a S175. The bigger axle had three axle bolts. Not saying you can't put tracks on, but I have seen plenty of snapped off axle shafts.
Thanks for the tip on the 3 plastic ribs on the dip stick , i had a tiny piece off of one of the rings , i took a air grinder and removed all 3 ribs , now it's all smooth plastic in that area
i hope i never have any problem from a tiny piece that was missing .

Thanks Again
Jess

Latest posts