Lift drifts down

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TOMB

Hi. I have an 1986 Bobcat 743. Well taken care of but still getting older. My problem is, When I raise the lift and stop. It starts to drift down to the ground. what can I check. Is there a way to check the cylinders for internal leaks. I have no external leaks.

NYDiggerman

There is a way to check. Put the boom all the way down. Unhook the line at the back of the cylinder closest to the motor compartment. Wipe fitting on cylinder clean and on loader frame. With loader running push the boom pedal for down. Make sure you only push pedal in down position since the other way will spray oil out the open line. Check open fitting on cylinder, if oil has come out of fitting you have internal leak. In all honesty if the loader cylinders have never been resealed you might better take the time to put new seals in. They aren't that expensive and not that difficult to install.

antfarmer2

There is a way to check. Put the boom all the way down. Unhook the line at the back of the cylinder closest to the motor compartment. Wipe fitting on cylinder clean and on loader frame. With loader running push the boom pedal for down. Make sure you only push pedal in down position since the other way will spray oil out the open line. Check open fitting on cylinder, if oil has come out of fitting you have internal leak. In all honesty if the loader cylinders have never been resealed you might better take the time to put new seals in. They aren't that expensive and not that difficult to install.
I agree I would reseal the cylinders just take the seals to your local hydro shop to match up do one at a time so you have the other to look at in case you get confused

Bobcatdan

I agree I would reseal the cylinders just take the seals to your local hydro shop to match up do one at a time so you have the other to look at in case you get confused
While a internal leaking lift cylinder is your most likely cause, also somewhat common is a leaking port relief vavle on the control vavle. I would start with cylinders, but if that does not solve your problem, that is the next place to look.

ffpup

If you will warm machine up, raise boom up and cut machine off. Let the boom drift all the way down. The cylinder that stays warmer is the one that is leaking internally. I got this from the dealer as my T190 does it. It my right cylinder that shows to be leaking I just haven't fixed it. I can't say for sure but it does stay warmer than the other and the dealer said thats what they did. Hope this helps!!

antfarmer2

If you will warm machine up, raise boom up and cut machine off. Let the boom drift all the way down. The cylinder that stays warmer is the one that is leaking internally. I got this from the dealer as my T190 does it. It my right cylinder that shows to be leaking I just haven't fixed it. I can't say for sure but it does stay warmer than the other and the dealer said thats what they did. Hope this helps!!
I would do both at the same time evan wear and the others not far behind