Lift Cylinder Seals

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ThomasM

Hi, I have a 1993 743B with about 3800 hours. When sitting there is a bit of oil leaking out of the rod seal of the lift cylinders. I plan on getting seal kits from EPM, is there anything special for putting all the seals in or is it an easy job? Any special tools?

coreya3212

I refreshed a previous post that walked me through re-sealing my cylinders. If you go in to Bobcat>Skid steers and read through it, it tells you how to do it. I didnt know how to paste the link to that thread in this reply. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=24319
Here is the link
Ken
I think the link listed is for this post? I did a search and found some simular data, it was for a tilt cylinder. I ordered the seal kit $16.80 for each cylinder, is that a half way good deal? Thanks.

coreya3212

I think the link listed is for this post? I did a search and found some simular data, it was for a tilt cylinder. I ordered the seal kit $16.80 for each cylinder, is that a half way good deal? Thanks.
Cylinder rebuilds are the same for tilt and lift as far as I know. I paid 22 bucks for a rebuild kit for mine from bobcat. Turned out my cylinders may havebeen aftermarket cause I still had to go and find a couple different seals for pistons that BC claims were never on my bobcat originally. If i were doing it again, I would pull the cylinder apart and take all the seals to a seal shop and get the right ones up front. Live and learn.

Tazza

Staff member
Cylinder rebuilds are the same for tilt and lift as far as I know. I paid 22 bucks for a rebuild kit for mine from bobcat. Turned out my cylinders may havebeen aftermarket cause I still had to go and find a couple different seals for pistons that BC claims were never on my bobcat originally. If i were doing it again, I would pull the cylinder apart and take all the seals to a seal shop and get the right ones up front. Live and learn.
Yeah, all cylinders are essentially the same, there are always small changes but nothing too major. I always take my parts to the local hydraulic seal shop to get them matched, cheaper and they are always in stock. They usually work out to be about $25 AUD for a full kit, rod, gland and piston seals.

Skiddy

Yeah, all cylinders are essentially the same, there are always small changes but nothing too major. I always take my parts to the local hydraulic seal shop to get them matched, cheaper and they are always in stock. They usually work out to be about $25 AUD for a full kit, rod, gland and piston seals.
my local hydrailic shop told me to bring my tubes down when I get them apart and they would run a brush hone through the tube to break the glaze and set up a new surface for the new seals to ride on. best of all they did it while I waited and when I asked for the ticket they said ahh no biggy freeby. He said you would never install a piston and rings in a engine cylinder with out some sort of prep would ya? I say nope , he says the same reasons stand true in a hydraulic system.

Tazza

Staff member
my local hydrailic shop told me to bring my tubes down when I get them apart and they would run a brush hone through the tube to break the glaze and set up a new surface for the new seals to ride on. best of all they did it while I waited and when I asked for the ticket they said ahh no biggy freeby. He said you would never install a piston and rings in a engine cylinder with out some sort of prep would ya? I say nope , he says the same reasons stand true in a hydraulic system.
Thats a pretty good deal! not many places would do anything for free these days.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

Thats a pretty good deal! not many places would do anything for free these days.
Thanks for the replies, I do know that all the parts on the loader were original when I got it besides the alternator and battery. It was used lightly. The seals on the piston are likely good (the cylinders do not drift) but will likely replace them. Just the rod seal that is leaking. will do the whole job however. See how it goes.