Life of a Final Drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Did you know that a general rule of thumb is that the life of your final drive gearbox is proportional to how frequently the oil is changed? That's why one of the important maintenance tasks for a final drive is to regularly check the oil on the planetary side. Ideally, you should check the oil level about once every 100 hours of operation, and change the oil out at least once a year. Check out this link for more information: https://www.finaldriveparts.com/905/checking-and-changing-the-oil-in-a-final-drive/

7LBSSMALLIE

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
yea i thought so. but while we are here its worth adressing. dudes i know its a pain but every 500. pull the tracks change the outer hub oil rotate sprocekts and tracks. inspect undercarrige. confirm track adjusters have no external leaks and springs aint broke. give a good cleaning. if im not mistaken i believe this is reffered to as PREVENTIVE MAINT. and yea its a pain. but youre talkining 4 hrs and twenty bucks in parts. typically this is done on thousand hr service . conditions change sand clay etc if that outer hub brg takes a crap youre looking at three grand 9 outta 10 the oil aint been changed. and i know it seem silly you pull the plug and get 1/2 oz (and it stinks) you refill with 3/1/2 etc dont seem like much and takes forever to fill. thats not a wasted day thats piece o mind thats three grand per side dont know about ya'll but thatsa lot of money to me. and i mean a lot (new trolling motor and a mac daddy dephth finder with gps)

reaperman

yea i thought so. but while we are here its worth adressing. dudes i know its a pain but every 500. pull the tracks change the outer hub oil rotate sprocekts and tracks. inspect undercarrige. confirm track adjusters have no external leaks and springs aint broke. give a good cleaning. if im not mistaken i believe this is reffered to as PREVENTIVE MAINT. and yea its a pain. but youre talkining 4 hrs and twenty bucks in parts. typically this is done on thousand hr service . conditions change sand clay etc if that outer hub brg takes a crap youre looking at three grand 9 outta 10 the oil aint been changed. and i know it seem silly you pull the plug and get 1/2 oz (and it stinks) you refill with 3/1/2 etc dont seem like much and takes forever to fill. thats not a wasted day thats piece o mind thats three grand per side dont know about ya'll but thatsa lot of money to me. and i mean a lot (new trolling motor and a mac daddy dephth finder with gps)
Good info!

OP
OP
F
Thanks! Preventative maintenance saves money!