Leaking lift ram 453

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mahans7

The front wheels being off the ground is an everyday occurrence with these small machines. After a while, you become comfortable with it. But your son learned a valuable lesson: When the machine starts to bounce somewhat uncontrollably, let go of the sticks!! The M371 we had back in the '80's was horrible for that, especially since it was a clutch machine, and had no seat bar to brace your arms against.
To tell the truth, watching the 743 rock back and forth with my son in it scared me too(I haven't told him that yet). I've seen some operators wear helmets when driving skidsteers. Does anyone here wear a helmet or have any thoughts on that? I'm all in(as they say at Auburn) for safety.

OP
OP
K

Katoh

To tell the truth, watching the 743 rock back and forth with my son in it scared me too(I haven't told him that yet). I've seen some operators wear helmets when driving skidsteers. Does anyone here wear a helmet or have any thoughts on that? I'm all in(as they say at Auburn) for safety.
G'Day Again Friends. Just me being a little pedantic again for some reason I thought if I'm changing the seals on both lift cylinders, might as well change the tilt cylinder ram also. makes sense to me. The only problem I cant seem to find a part No. kit for the tilt cylinder on the 453. Does anyone have one? Thanks and cheers Katoh

OldMachinist

G'Day Again Friends. Just me being a little pedantic again for some reason I thought if I'm changing the seals on both lift cylinders, might as well change the tilt cylinder ram also. makes sense to me. The only problem I cant seem to find a part No. kit for the tilt cylinder on the 453. Does anyone have one? Thanks and cheers Katoh
My parts manual says the seal kit for the 6589196 cylinder is part #6803334.
http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7606
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6803334-Tilt-Cylinder-Seal-Kit-Fits-Bobcat-440B-443-463-/350487241848
http://www.cea-services.com/servlet/the-5982/6803334-Tilt-Cylinder-Seal/Detail
http://www.herculesus.com/product.php?productid=667233

OP
OP
K

Katoh

My parts manual says the seal kit for the 6589196 cylinder is part #6803334.
http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7606
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6803334-Tilt-Cylinder-Seal-Kit-Fits-Bobcat-440B-443-463-/350487241848
http://www.cea-services.com/servlet/the-5982/6803334-Tilt-Cylinder-Seal/Detail
http://www.herculesus.com/product.php?productid=667233
OldMachinist, What page of the manual did you find that information from? I have the manual also but cant seem to find these part numbers in it. The links you sent me don't have the the 453 listed, or is it the same part as the the 463? Cheers Katoh

OldMachinist

OldMachinist, What page of the manual did you find that information from? I have the manual also but cant seem to find these part numbers in it. The links you sent me don't have the the 453 listed, or is it the same part as the the 463? Cheers Katoh
TiltCylinderParts.jpg

SkidRoe

@ Mahans: You need to have a healthy respect for a skidsteer, and know insinctively what to do if things are going haywire. I instinctively let go of the sticks and drop the boom, that will address 99% of the situations. I have never wore a helmet, nor have I seen anybody wearing one, but there are times... There is one thing I do wear (job & time dependant) and that's my seat belt. Not to prevent myself from being ejected (seat bar pretty my takes care of that), but more for stability, comfort, and added support to keep from sliding around in the seat during longer seat times. 75% of the time, I am jumping in and out of the machine every couple of minute, and don't wear it then, but anything longer term, like loading / moving dirt or manure, seatbelt makes a huge difference.

lesgawlik

@ Mahans: You need to have a healthy respect for a skidsteer, and know insinctively what to do if things are going haywire. I instinctively let go of the sticks and drop the boom, that will address 99% of the situations. I have never wore a helmet, nor have I seen anybody wearing one, but there are times... There is one thing I do wear (job & time dependant) and that's my seat belt. Not to prevent myself from being ejected (seat bar pretty my takes care of that), but more for stability, comfort, and added support to keep from sliding around in the seat during longer seat times. 75% of the time, I am jumping in and out of the machine every couple of minute, and don't wear it then, but anything longer term, like loading / moving dirt or manure, seatbelt makes a huge difference.
Once when I was trying to drive my little Case 1816 onto a trailer, I asked my sons to come help. The thing started bucking like a bronco. What did they do? They both pulled out their cell phones to take video of Dad wrecking the skidsteer. I think they were a little disappointed when I let go of the sticks and it settled down. That thing is so unstable you can easily flip it on perfectly level ground. The only good part is it's light enough you can just push it back on its feet.

SkidRoe

Once when I was trying to drive my little Case 1816 onto a trailer, I asked my sons to come help. The thing started bucking like a bronco. What did they do? They both pulled out their cell phones to take video of Dad wrecking the skidsteer. I think they were a little disappointed when I let go of the sticks and it settled down. That thing is so unstable you can easily flip it on perfectly level ground. The only good part is it's light enough you can just push it back on its feet.
Yeah, there's some video's on Facebook, taken by my nephew, of me getting stupid in my machine. LoL!! One time, a long time ago, our old M371 got away from my dad, and he ended up laying it on its side. He rung his bell pretty good.

mrdeere1959

Yeah, there's some video's on Facebook, taken by my nephew, of me getting stupid in my machine. LoL!! One time, a long time ago, our old M371 got away from my dad, and he ended up laying it on its side. He rung his bell pretty good.
tilt seal kit # is 7137944

OP
OP
K

Katoh

tilt seal kit # is 7137944
Gentlemen
Ah! I don't seem to posses that part of the manual, no wander I couldn't find it in there.
mrdeere1959, I can not find any reference to that seal kit number. It doesn't seem to come up anywhere?
Much appreciated once again, cheers for the info.
Katoh

mrdeere1959

Gentlemen
Ah! I don't seem to posses that part of the manual, no wander I couldn't find it in there.
mrdeere1959, I can not find any reference to that seal kit number. It doesn't seem to come up anywhere?
Much appreciated once again, cheers for the info.
Katoh
thats the # that comes up in BASS. (the dealer online parts break down)

OP
OP
K

Katoh

Looked at a picture of a Case 1816, man that has a narrow wheelbase. I guess that's why it flips easily and why I'll stay away from those.
Colleagues
Going to bite the bullet and order, the seal kit for the tilt cylinder also. Bugger it! I repainted the beast, changed parts and recalls why not give it a new lease on life.
I also out of curiosity looked up the case 1816, looks to me the same sort of sizing as my 453, and its not that scary, maybe in real life there is a big difference?
I also want to apologise for my photo sizes, they don't look that small of a file prior to upload, but they come out like thumbnails, don't understand why?
Cheers
Katoh

Latest posts