Leaking Engine Coolant

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

New825Guy

Last fall I was having issues with a leaking radiator. I had been topping up with water. I put the machine away over winter and first thing this spring removed the radiator and had it rebuilt. There is still a coolant leak, but not from the radiator. My fear is that the water in the engine froze and cracked something. This is a very old Bobcat Clark 825 that is very awkward to work on. The machine will start and run for about 15 min. I need some advice on how to determine what the issue is. What things should I check and in what order?

Bobcatdan

P.S. The leak appears to be coming from the front of the engine behind the radiator.
I'd pressure test the cooling system. That should take a large truck adapter. My guess front of the engine is a water pump, bypass hose or maybe a timing cover gasket.

OP
OP
N

New825Guy

P.S. The leak appears to be coming from the front of the engine behind the radiator.
The story continues. It appears that the leak is in the water pump. The fan bearing is very loose. The manual reads 1. Straighten the washer locks, remove the fan bolts and remove the fan. 2. Remove the fan belt. 3. Remove the four bolts which fasten the water pump and back plate to the block. 4. Remove the water pump and back plate. BUT 1. I have removed the fan bolts but the fan and pulley are one piece. I cannot remove the fan. 2. I have removed the fan belt 3. I can only see three bolts fastening the water pump, two are accessible. the third is blocked by the pulley. I can get at it by removing the alternator. Dos anybody know if I am on the correct path??

OldMachinist

The story continues. It appears that the leak is in the water pump. The fan bearing is very loose. The manual reads 1. Straighten the washer locks, remove the fan bolts and remove the fan. 2. Remove the fan belt. 3. Remove the four bolts which fasten the water pump and back plate to the block. 4. Remove the water pump and back plate. BUT 1. I have removed the fan bolts but the fan and pulley are one piece. I cannot remove the fan. 2. I have removed the fan belt 3. I can only see three bolts fastening the water pump, two are accessible. the third is blocked by the pulley. I can get at it by removing the alternator. Dos anybody know if I am on the correct path??
Parts diagram shows the fan is separate from the pulley.
 photo Waterpump_zpsjbyfaczl.jpg

Fan may just be rusted in place. Penetrating oil and a few taps from a hammer may loosen it up. Pulley is held on by a snap ring.

OP
OP
N

New825Guy

Parts diagram shows the fan is separate from the pulley.

Fan may just be rusted in place. Penetrating oil and a few taps from a hammer may loosen it up. Pulley is held on by a snap ring.
Thanks for the advice. I spayed and tapped and the fan came off. I now have the water pump off and cleaned. The seals were in poor condition. The shaft is wobbly, but it was not leaking. This is a very old machine. I would like to just replace the gaskets (15 and 17 in the diagram) and only deal with rebuilding the pump if I have to. Any thoughts or advise pro or con this approach.

OldMachinist

Thanks for the advice. I spayed and tapped and the fan came off. I now have the water pump off and cleaned. The seals were in poor condition. The shaft is wobbly, but it was not leaking. This is a very old machine. I would like to just replace the gaskets (15 and 17 in the diagram) and only deal with rebuilding the pump if I have to. Any thoughts or advise pro or con this approach.
If I remember correctly a aftermarket pump costs around $100-125 and will come with the gaskets. Bobcat may want that much for the rebuild kit. There should be a number on the casting that you can use to find the right pump.

Bobcatdan

If I remember correctly a aftermarket pump costs around $100-125 and will come with the gaskets. Bobcat may want that much for the rebuild kit. There should be a number on the casting that you can use to find the right pump.
If I recall correctly, that used a very common Perkins for its day. I'd check with a local engine rebuilder that deals in industrial engines. Being as old as it is and 825s being such odd ducks, bobcat may still offer parts for the engine, but I would try other routes first.

OP
OP
N

New825Guy

If I recall correctly, that used a very common Perkins for its day. I'd check with a local engine rebuilder that deals in industrial engines. Being as old as it is and 825s being such odd ducks, bobcat may still offer parts for the engine, but I would try other routes first.
It is an odd duck, very awkward to work on. I had a heck of a time getting the radiator off. Persistence seems to pay off. I am extremely grateful for the help I get on this web site. I have had the machine 4 years now. Every year there is a challenge but the old 825 comes back and motors on. Not sure if I can get the parts to get it running this weekend. I'll let you know how things work out next week. Spring is here and another season awaits.

OP
OP
N

New825Guy

It is an odd duck, very awkward to work on. I had a heck of a time getting the radiator off. Persistence seems to pay off. I am extremely grateful for the help I get on this web site. I have had the machine 4 years now. Every year there is a challenge but the old 825 comes back and motors on. Not sure if I can get the parts to get it running this weekend. I'll let you know how things work out next week. Spring is here and another season awaits.
Up and running again. Thanks for the help. Any one know the bolt size & thread for the bolts that hold on the bottom plate under the fuel tank?