Leaking 863 F turbo

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stonehands

Stonehands here. I have been losing Hydro fluid for a while now and decided with the recent warm weather to pop the cab on my 863 to see what is going on. Sometimes I am finding oil on the ground but not that much. With the cab up the fluid tank has a little residue on the side of it but the lines under the Hydro tank going to the plumbing are all wet. Worse than than, I see why there is very little on the ground. Its all in the belly of the beat sloshing around. I swear I saw wave action going on. Questions are this. #1. if i drive up on some 4x4s to prop up the front of the machine and drop the belly plate at the back where the drain plug is, will this old fluid run out from there or do I have to pump it to get it out of the belly pan. #2, Draining the hydro tank should not be a big chore but what about the hoses underneath. they all look old and I am guessing the fittings and clamps are original to the unit and won't come off willingly. suggestions? cut and replace or take off one by one? How much oil will remain in the lines after I empty the hydro tank? Thank you all. I do have both a parts manual and service manual.

Tazza

Staff member
Removing the plate may let the oil drain, but if there is enough dirt in there, it can plug it up oretty well and litle oil will actually drain out.
You may be licky enough for a fitting to have come loose, but probably it is a hose that has cracked due to age. Can you get in there with degreaser to see just where the oil is coming from? When it's clean, it's easier to find leaks, but cleaning it up well can be hard due to limited access.

farmshop

Removing the plate may let the oil drain, but if there is enough dirt in there, it can plug it up oretty well and litle oil will actually drain out.
You may be licky enough for a fitting to have come loose, but probably it is a hose that has cracked due to age. Can you get in there with degreaser to see just where the oil is coming from? When it's clean, it's easier to find leaks, but cleaning it up well can be hard due to limited access.
Not sure on your specific machine but the smaller f series you can take plates of on the side behind the tires and then along the belly pan there is some drain holes that are always plugged up. Once you get the oil out I would start by looking at the drive motor hoses. I usually set the brake and block the wheels and run it up against the brake to add some pressure. If not drive motor hoses then I would look at spool valves but I would think you would see some drift on the loader.

bobbie-g

Not sure on your specific machine but the smaller f series you can take plates of on the side behind the tires and then along the belly pan there is some drain holes that are always plugged up. Once you get the oil out I would start by looking at the drive motor hoses. I usually set the brake and block the wheels and run it up against the brake to add some pressure. If not drive motor hoses then I would look at spool valves but I would think you would see some drift on the loader.
I have a 1999 863G. There are a couple of drains involved. First, the 2" x 10" belly plate held on with three bolts is removed for draining the fuel tank and the chain case oil. However, any liquid under your engine will seep down between the fuel tank and the housing and make its way down to that open hole (once the belly plate is removed). However, what you describe is an oil leak under the operator cab. Different drains there. The cavity under the cab has the chain case oil reservoir running the length of the cavity. There are two large open channels, one on either side of the chain case. At the bottom rear of each of those channels, there is an open hole about 2" in dia, probably clogged with dirt, detritus, flotsam, and jetsam in your case, since the leaked oil is still in there. You can lay underneath the machine and find those two holes and poke a hole in the dirt and get a faceful of oil, I'll bet. Sort of hard to locate them from above though, since when there is that much junk in the way, your really can't tell where to probe to open them up. Once you get those drain holes opened up, the cavities under the seat should drain so you can hose them out pretty well. Let the engine cleaner and water dry out, and start afresh looking for the source of the leak(s). I would not advise replacing hoses just because they are old. Just do the ones that are leaking. I've not ever had to do seals on my machine yet, so no opinion from me on those. And yes, the prev contributor mentioned the side plates between the wheels. Remove them (four bolts on the outside), and hosing out the belly is much easier. :) --- Bobbie G.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

I popped up the cab the weekend Tazza and sprayed on degreaser and did some general clean up on the hoses. I will run it hard for a few and see where it is at. So far I have eliminated any hose not under pressure. So there is a cluster of hoses going into a square looking box like structure. That is where it is most wet. Using a stick, I have roughly 2" of standing Hydro oil on the left side bottom area under the Hydra tank and fittings. I will most likely hand pump out the largest amount of oil and when the weather warms up, its in the low 20's here right now, power wash the area. Thank you.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

thank you Farmshop and Bobbie. Tried to send reply but would not go through. both of you confirm along with Tazza what I was thinking. Drain standing fluid and clean the area first to see what I have going on. If the weather was better meaning no wind and above 40" I would have the machine out in the sun and be power washing the guts out. Thank you everyone.

7LBSSMALLIE

thank you Farmshop and Bobbie. Tried to send reply but would not go through. both of you confirm along with Tazza what I was thinking. Drain standing fluid and clean the area first to see what I have going on. If the weather was better meaning no wind and above 40" I would have the machine out in the sun and be power washing the guts out. Thank you everyone.
863f. and gonna keep it.(good for you) couple things to consider. deutez solid eng. if proprrly run( that means no baby it grunt it every chance you get) if you don't the rings glaze up. and she will smoke., invest the time and money now to a. remove air intake hose feel turbo for run out vissualy inspect for blade contact. . wanna feel good about it do the time belt and head gasket now. clean the screen on lift pump. replace fuel return lines. update to fuel return rail pipe if not already done. lose the ribbed dipstick update to smooth. and run the piss out of it. don't forget to grunt her a little black stack aint always bad.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

863f. and gonna keep it.(good for you) couple things to consider. deutez solid eng. if proprrly run( that means no baby it grunt it every chance you get) if you don't the rings glaze up. and she will smoke., invest the time and money now to a. remove air intake hose feel turbo for run out vissualy inspect for blade contact. . wanna feel good about it do the time belt and head gasket now. clean the screen on lift pump. replace fuel return lines. update to fuel return rail pipe if not already done. lose the ribbed dipstick update to smooth. and run the piss out of it. don't forget to grunt her a little black stack aint always bad.
Great stuff and thank you. I work her hard and she does to smoke hardly at all. Thank you.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

Great stuff and thank you. I work her hard and she does to smoke hardly at all. Thank you.
Thank you everyone for the good ideas. I degreased as well as I could. Wiped all the hoses and fitting from the Hydro Tank to the pump and then ran the unit picking up round bales of hay and making her grunt a little. When done, I popped up the cab and to my surprise, could not find where there was anything leaking, at least from that area. I am pretty sure it is the right area so tomorrow, as we had terrible winds in Michigan this week and i had 2 +50 foot pines uproot in my front property, I am hooking up my grapple and chopping the trees into thirds and will move them off the property and to a side field for burning. Will see then if I can find the elusive "wet spot". Tazza,,, sending you pics of my 855 backhoe. Its a beast and beautiful. As to my question on how to mount the mounting brackets, I found that on each side of the cab towards the front of the unit, there are two plates that have 3 bolts holding them in and you can take those off for access to the mounting holes for the backhoe bracket. The plates are right tight with the two foot pedals but you can get them off without touching the foot pedals, the brake or throttle.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

Thank you everyone for the good ideas. I degreased as well as I could. Wiped all the hoses and fitting from the Hydro Tank to the pump and then ran the unit picking up round bales of hay and making her grunt a little. When done, I popped up the cab and to my surprise, could not find where there was anything leaking, at least from that area. I am pretty sure it is the right area so tomorrow, as we had terrible winds in Michigan this week and i had 2 +50 foot pines uproot in my front property, I am hooking up my grapple and chopping the trees into thirds and will move them off the property and to a side field for burning. Will see then if I can find the elusive "wet spot". Tazza,,, sending you pics of my 855 backhoe. Its a beast and beautiful. As to my question on how to mount the mounting brackets, I found that on each side of the cab towards the front of the unit, there are two plates that have 3 bolts holding them in and you can take those off for access to the mounting holes for the backhoe bracket. The plates are right tight with the two foot pedals but you can get them off without touching the foot pedals, the brake or throttle.
Well, this weekend I worked the snot out of my 863. When done, lifted the cab and all hoses and fitting visible are still clean from my previous cleaning a short while ago. As I know there is a leak, any suggestions as to next place to look? Where it is is, it cannot be a good place to get to I am sure. Thank you in advance.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, this weekend I worked the snot out of my 863. When done, lifted the cab and all hoses and fitting visible are still clean from my previous cleaning a short while ago. As I know there is a leak, any suggestions as to next place to look? Where it is is, it cannot be a good place to get to I am sure. Thank you in advance.
I would suspect around the control block, that is the most common area for leaks to start.
Give it a good clean, then run it, hopefully you will find it easily enough.

7LBSSMALLIE

Thank you Tazza.
sounds like shes got the new hyd oil 6903117 (I say new maybe ten years/) its got dye in it will be revealed with ultraviolet light and yellow glasses , 10 bucks at napa. not the oil but ultra violet leak dector. its gotta be said hyd oil under pressure will enter skin never use hands, so to calirify A is leaking out the bottom.? wet spot on floor, and no they don't leak out the top that's cyinicyism, or keep adding always low. pull chain case plug proper level should be finger reach.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

sounds like shes got the new hyd oil 6903117 (I say new maybe ten years/) its got dye in it will be revealed with ultraviolet light and yellow glasses , 10 bucks at napa. not the oil but ultra violet leak dector. its gotta be said hyd oil under pressure will enter skin never use hands, so to calirify A is leaking out the bottom.? wet spot on floor, and no they don't leak out the top that's cyinicyism, or keep adding always low. pull chain case plug proper level should be finger reach.
Thank you for responding. Leak is on the Hydro Tank side. A lot in the belly of the beast with none leaking on floor. Only because drain is plugged i assume. the leak comes and goes. I thought it was a going to be easy to spot but when I degreased all the hoses and fittings I could get to easily to, they are dry as dust now with no leak showing. So, I am guessing its behind something or under something but as soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan, I am crawling under the unit and unplugging the drain hole. Then I will degrease. Let set and power wash with hot water. My sprayer has a water heater on it so it really works nice. Then I hope to have a better way of finding it. Thank you.

shepherd

Thank you for responding. Leak is on the Hydro Tank side. A lot in the belly of the beast with none leaking on floor. Only because drain is plugged i assume. the leak comes and goes. I thought it was a going to be easy to spot but when I degreased all the hoses and fittings I could get to easily to, they are dry as dust now with no leak showing. So, I am guessing its behind something or under something but as soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan, I am crawling under the unit and unplugging the drain hole. Then I will degrease. Let set and power wash with hot water. My sprayer has a water heater on it so it really works nice. Then I hope to have a better way of finding it. Thank you.
I had the strap that holds my hydraulic tank rub a small hole through a few years ago. The rubber pad kept the oil in most of the time but not always, maybe check that. Or, on my machine the tilt and lift spools started to leak on the back of the control valve. I wasn't getting any noticeable drift from the machine while using it, but every time I moved the bucket or arms, oil was pouring down the backside of the valve and filled that side of the machine till it started wiping out around my right foot. No fun.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

I had the strap that holds my hydraulic tank rub a small hole through a few years ago. The rubber pad kept the oil in most of the time but not always, maybe check that. Or, on my machine the tilt and lift spools started to leak on the back of the control valve. I wasn't getting any noticeable drift from the machine while using it, but every time I moved the bucket or arms, oil was pouring down the backside of the valve and filled that side of the machine till it started wiping out around my right foot. No fun.
Thank you Shepard. I also believe my leak is like your was on the backside of the control valve. The drain holes are plugged so now that the Michigan weather is warming up, I will drain the bottom, take off the plate in the rear underside of the machine, the two side plates between the wheels and power wash out the inside. How water steam should do it. then I can see what I have. Mine also is leaking around and under my right foot but the scupper.. Will let y'all know when I get my baby's diaper changed and cleaned up,. thank you everyone,.