L553 Engine removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Codykoke

Bought this machine last year. 93 L553 with 3500hrs. Been a good machine but has always been hard starting even when warm out. Finally took the time to compression check it and #1-330 psi #2,3,4-220psi. With oil they came up to around 350 so hopefully I'll luck out with a mild rebuild without machine work. Regardless I need to pull the engine. I'm wondering if I should separate the pumps from the engine or pull them out with the engine. Those bolts holding the pump the the bell housing look tricky to get out. Any input is appreciated.

Ivan

I have the same machine and have the engine out out of it now. Take the seat out and under it the 2 hydro are bolted together there remove th e2 bolts that hold these together as they will come apart. Then remove engine mount bolts in the engine compartment. The ebgine and one hydo is now free to take out. Don't forget to remove the hoses off the hydro. If you have a cherry picker you can remove the engine with all the small parts on it. (alt exhaust manifold and such). I marked all the wires when I removed them. Remove the wire of the rear glowpulg and there is a sending unit at the rear of the head. You will need to re,move the radiator and heat exchanger also to slide it out the back. Mone was hard starting and what I found wrong with mine was the rings were carboned up and stuck in the piston.. Have your head checked for cracks and take the injectors and have them pressure tested. I did not buy a kit as I found all the parts on line at a much lower cost and when they came they were kubota parts. Make sure to mark you connecting rod caps so they go back on it the same order as removed

OP
OP
C

Codykoke

I have the same machine and have the engine out out of it now. Take the seat out and under it the 2 hydro are bolted together there remove th e2 bolts that hold these together as they will come apart. Then remove engine mount bolts in the engine compartment. The ebgine and one hydo is now free to take out. Don't forget to remove the hoses off the hydro. If you have a cherry picker you can remove the engine with all the small parts on it. (alt exhaust manifold and such). I marked all the wires when I removed them. Remove the wire of the rear glowpulg and there is a sending unit at the rear of the head. You will need to re,move the radiator and heat exchanger also to slide it out the back. Mone was hard starting and what I found wrong with mine was the rings were carboned up and stuck in the piston.. Have your head checked for cracks and take the injectors and have them pressure tested. I did not buy a kit as I found all the parts on line at a much lower cost and when they came they were kubota parts. Make sure to mark you connecting rod caps so they go back on it the same order as removed
I hadn't thought of separating the pumps but that looks alot easier. Thanks for the info.