kubota/timing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
There should be dots on the timing gears. Just match them up and you should be good to go. Ensure you rotate it by hand at least two turns to be sure its right before doing so with the starter, just to be sure.
They are very easy to do with the dots.

OP
OP
D

Dondi

There should be dots on the timing gears. Just match them up and you should be good to go. Ensure you rotate it by hand at least two turns to be sure its right before doing so with the starter, just to be sure.
They are very easy to do with the dots.
when I pulled the cam shaft gear off the injector pump gear kicked itself down (is it spring loaded?) should i turn the injector gear back around to line the dots back up?

Tazza

Staff member
when I pulled the cam shaft gear off the injector pump gear kicked itself down (is it spring loaded?) should i turn the injector gear back around to line the dots back up?
Its spring loaded because the injector pump is operated be cam lobes on the injector cam shaft. Same with the cam chaft, you have the springs from the valves pushing on it trying to make it turn. The dots must line up to get the timing right.

OP
OP
D

Dondi

Its spring loaded because the injector pump is operated be cam lobes on the injector cam shaft. Same with the cam chaft, you have the springs from the valves pushing on it trying to make it turn. The dots must line up to get the timing right.
ok, but i need to know where to start to get them lined up right cuz they will line up anywhere

OP
OP
D

Dondi

ok, but i need to know where to start to get them lined up right cuz they will line up anywhere
ive never worked on a diesel before. when your putting a timing chain on a gasoline engine you have a number 1 piston at TDC to time it. Is there something similar to this you have to do to time a diesel? thank you, this is drivin me nuts!!!

mrdeere1959

ive never worked on a diesel before. when your putting a timing chain on a gasoline engine you have a number 1 piston at TDC to time it. Is there something similar to this you have to do to time a diesel? thank you, this is drivin me nuts!!!
how about buying a service, it is amazing that some people will spend thousands on parts but will not spend a hundred on a manual

OP
OP
D

Dondi

should say service manual
Waiting on the manual, ordered it last week. Paid 400.00 for the mower, just want to get it running to sell, we run 2 John Deere's, 2Grasshoppers, a Hustler and an Xmark that we service daily so we need this one running and out of our way. Cant seem to find anyone whos actually timed a kubota, or knows what their talking about. Thanks anyway

Tazza

Staff member
Waiting on the manual, ordered it last week. Paid 400.00 for the mower, just want to get it running to sell, we run 2 John Deere's, 2Grasshoppers, a Hustler and an Xmark that we service daily so we need this one running and out of our way. Cant seem to find anyone whos actually timed a kubota, or knows what their talking about. Thanks anyway
The marks should only ever line up in one place. You will have one large one (idle gear) with three sets of markings. Position it so it points to all three gears then line them up to the respective points.
The large gear should have 3 sets of dots, each gear its to mesh with should have the same dots as the large one. There will be 1 dot then two then three.
I have a PDF manual, i just checked and it says there should be markings

OldMachinist

The marks should only ever line up in one place. You will have one large one (idle gear) with three sets of markings. Position it so it points to all three gears then line them up to the respective points.
The large gear should have 3 sets of dots, each gear its to mesh with should have the same dots as the large one. There will be 1 dot then two then three.
I have a PDF manual, i just checked and it says there should be markings
D722_engine_timing_1.jpg
D722_engine_timing_2.jpg

timing_mark001.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
That's the one. As they are not straight cut gears, you may need to twist it a little more to get them to line up when fully seated, you will understand what i mean when you go to align the idler gear with all the others.