kohler k662 parts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h-m

hello all, working on my neighbors 500 bobcat, still has the kohler k662 motor. got the starter out last nite but.... we found the governer has a hole in case! so....... can anyone point me in a direction to maybe find a governor that would go on here???? please help if anyone has any idea where one might start looking for a governor for this thing i would be much obliged. thanks all. he (he is an older gentleman, never been much for mechanics) doesn't have any idea what happened to the governor, says it was fine then we found it blasted apart. something obviously happened, but i have no idea what, any hints you guys, what was a common cause of toasting these governors. thanks all. micheal

OldMachinist

OldMachinist

Here's another answer you're not going to like. I'm pretty sure Kohler has dis-continued the governor. I think the part number is E-270206-S. This place shows a kit for that number but it's $400. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Parts-Lookup/E270206S/767010/pd
There should be a 4 digit spec number in the engine number. If you get that and look it up here you can verify the part number. http://www.partstree.com/parts/?mn=k662&lc=kohler_engines&page=1
Most likely lack of oil is what caused it to blow up.

Tigerhaze

You can also get a new replacement engine and do away with the K662, but probably more than he would care to spend on the M500.

Tigerhaze

You can also get a new replacement engine and do away with the K662, but probably more than he would care to spend on the M500.
Another option if your neighbor is set on keeping/fixing the M500 is to buy a parts machine. They are a neat Bobcat because they are the one of the forerunners of the modern Bobcats and are a handy size for small residential work, but some of the parts, especially for the engine, are hard to find cheaply.
I don't know the rules on buy/sell on this board, but I actually have been contemplating selling my M500 as a rebuildable or parts machine. It would need some work to be fully operable but the K662 in it ran well when parked. I also own an 863, 630, and 610 and just don't have the time to deal with the M500. I am in western MO if close to you and if your neighbor wanted to talk about this possibility.