Just bought my first Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BALLS753

Hello from Vancouver Island, Canada! Recently bought my first "new to me" Bobcat 753 that was at auction. Fairly old, but appears to have relatively low hours for being a 1995 [if the hr meter is actually correct of course] and was serviced with Bobcat fitlers about 50hrs ago. Looks like it was an ex-rental unit at one time, but mostly has what I was looking for to use on a project at an affordable purchase price. Front hydralics with thumb operated control on the right stick and a general purpose 68" bucket with a bolt on cutting edge [which may be a little wide for my needs at the time, 60" would have been ideal]. Now need to source an owners manual and maintenance manual to start getting into it. Any suggestions and/or tips to keep in mind are well appreciated. Thanks in advance. BALLS

Tazza

Staff member
Most of the maintanence times are on the inside rear door.
They are pretty simple machines with a lot of power. Keep it serviced and it should last you quite a long time.

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

Most of the maintanence times are on the inside rear door.
They are pretty simple machines with a lot of power. Keep it serviced and it should last you quite a long time.
LOL. Thanks. That's a good start. A gracious Member of this forum has recently helped me find a manual [many thanks OM] and I'm going to see if the 2A trickle charger I put on the battery last night has helped the lack of starting. Yes indeed. Pretty straight forward machines and plenty of power. I have used a friends S185 a fair amount [love it, turbo, joystick controls & high flow aux hydraulics] and his 430 mini-excavator; but those are too new/pricie for my shoe string budget. Effective machines though. All the attachment possibilities are pretty mind blowing. I'm thinking that I will eventually be shopping for a grapple bucket and possibly a concrete breaker. I was originally shoping for a 743 that I saw listed on craigslist out of Seattle/Tacoma that was low hours and looked to be in great shape; but the asking price was a little steep for me due to the accessories it came with [which I will have little to no use for in the immediate future]. Then I started looking at the 753's that were available around the Pacific Northwest, from what I could tell the machines were pretty similar in dimensions and I needed to be able to fit into a 65" width [or I'd end up cutting down one of the cedar trees, which I wanted to avoid]. After speaking with the local dealer/service shop they suggested the 753 over the 743 due to the transverse engine layout being a better design [in their opinion]. So, 40hp and transverse engine layout had my attention, seemed like a slightly higher aux flow rating as well. Here's to hoping I made the right decision... BALLS

Tazza

Staff member
LOL. Thanks. That's a good start. A gracious Member of this forum has recently helped me find a manual [many thanks OM] and I'm going to see if the 2A trickle charger I put on the battery last night has helped the lack of starting. Yes indeed. Pretty straight forward machines and plenty of power. I have used a friends S185 a fair amount [love it, turbo, joystick controls & high flow aux hydraulics] and his 430 mini-excavator; but those are too new/pricie for my shoe string budget. Effective machines though. All the attachment possibilities are pretty mind blowing. I'm thinking that I will eventually be shopping for a grapple bucket and possibly a concrete breaker. I was originally shoping for a 743 that I saw listed on craigslist out of Seattle/Tacoma that was low hours and looked to be in great shape; but the asking price was a little steep for me due to the accessories it came with [which I will have little to no use for in the immediate future]. Then I started looking at the 753's that were available around the Pacific Northwest, from what I could tell the machines were pretty similar in dimensions and I needed to be able to fit into a 65" width [or I'd end up cutting down one of the cedar trees, which I wanted to avoid]. After speaking with the local dealer/service shop they suggested the 753 over the 743 due to the transverse engine layout being a better design [in their opinion]. So, 40hp and transverse engine layout had my attention, seemed like a slightly higher aux flow rating as well. Here's to hoping I made the right decision... BALLS
I think you made the right call. It has a larger engine than the 743, not sure the east/west facing engine layout has any real advantages or not. The larger engine and easier starting of the newer engine is nice.
How do you mean its hard to start? cranks slowly? or fires and splutters?

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

I think you made the right call. It has a larger engine than the 743, not sure the east/west facing engine layout has any real advantages or not. The larger engine and easier starting of the newer engine is nice.
How do you mean its hard to start? cranks slowly? or fires and splutters?
The battery was drained when I arrived to pick it up. Someone from the auction yard left the key set to the "on" position when they moved it last Thursday and I arrived to get it on Saturday. No startie startie. Auction house tried to boost it at the starter and even tried a shot of starter fluid/ether [which made me a little nervous to tell the truth]. Taking it up to the local dealer/service shop in about 30min to get it off the borrowed trailer I used and give it a once over. Here's to hoping my wallet isn't the one that's going to get the good "once over". BALLS

Tazza

Staff member
The battery was drained when I arrived to pick it up. Someone from the auction yard left the key set to the "on" position when they moved it last Thursday and I arrived to get it on Saturday. No startie startie. Auction house tried to boost it at the starter and even tried a shot of starter fluid/ether [which made me a little nervous to tell the truth]. Taking it up to the local dealer/service shop in about 30min to get it off the borrowed trailer I used and give it a once over. Here's to hoping my wallet isn't the one that's going to get the good "once over". BALLS
They do need a good jumper pack to get a diesel going. The ether was not the best idea, it should only be used if the glow plugs are not running and you have low compression. Hopefully the service it gets will tell you all good things.

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

They do need a good jumper pack to get a diesel going. The ether was not the best idea, it should only be used if the glow plugs are not running and you have low compression. Hopefully the service it gets will tell you all good things.
I wasn't fond of the ether idea myself. Had the insurance already placed on it, so if it went up it would have had to burn to the ground!! j/k That would have been pretty upsetting. Service shop installed a fresh bobcat battery in her today and started inspecting it. Apparently it runs very, very well - so I'm happy about the engine being strong. Sounds great, no smoking out the exhaust pipe and *minimal* blow by smoke when opening the oil dipstick or filler cap. The fuel gauge reads full, but the tank was empty - so they'll look further into that. Guess that's why it would run. [lol] The control sticks need new bushings & neutral plate bushings - won't stay still when running, throttle control bushing washers, but the big item is that the drive belt tensioner is broken and the belt is very loose. About $500 for those associated parts he says. They tell me about 3hrs of labour and parts will take me in the neighborhood of $1000 for that stuff. I tested it this afternoon after they worked on the control sticks & neutral issue. Drives straight, runs strong, lifts nicely, manouevering on soft surfaces [gravel] showed excellent performance. Then we tested on concrete/asphalt and found some issues. Turns out the right side drive wheels are reluctant to turn when on a high traction surface like asphalt, so they tell me it could be bearings [best case scenario] or a drive motor [worst case senario]. They'll be dumping the chain case oil tomorrow and getting into it to find out what the issue is. Drive motor replacement will suck. I am guessing that's likely why it ended up at the auction. As expected, I'm hoping for the best case scenario in that it is a simpler bearing issue. BALLS

Tazza

Staff member
I wasn't fond of the ether idea myself. Had the insurance already placed on it, so if it went up it would have had to burn to the ground!! j/k That would have been pretty upsetting. Service shop installed a fresh bobcat battery in her today and started inspecting it. Apparently it runs very, very well - so I'm happy about the engine being strong. Sounds great, no smoking out the exhaust pipe and *minimal* blow by smoke when opening the oil dipstick or filler cap. The fuel gauge reads full, but the tank was empty - so they'll look further into that. Guess that's why it would run. [lol] The control sticks need new bushings & neutral plate bushings - won't stay still when running, throttle control bushing washers, but the big item is that the drive belt tensioner is broken and the belt is very loose. About $500 for those associated parts he says. They tell me about 3hrs of labour and parts will take me in the neighborhood of $1000 for that stuff. I tested it this afternoon after they worked on the control sticks & neutral issue. Drives straight, runs strong, lifts nicely, manouevering on soft surfaces [gravel] showed excellent performance. Then we tested on concrete/asphalt and found some issues. Turns out the right side drive wheels are reluctant to turn when on a high traction surface like asphalt, so they tell me it could be bearings [best case scenario] or a drive motor [worst case senario]. They'll be dumping the chain case oil tomorrow and getting into it to find out what the issue is. Drive motor replacement will suck. I am guessing that's likely why it ended up at the auction. As expected, I'm hoping for the best case scenario in that it is a simpler bearing issue. BALLS
Bearings may be simple, but it takes time, especially in a shop it will add up fast.
The drive motors may just need new O rings too, a few bucks. A seal kit will run you about $100.
Hopefully it will be ok.
Sticky surfaces are always harder on the machine, if you were to mostly use it in the dirt, i wouldn't be too worried. I'd jack it up and check the axles for end float, if its excessive that leans towards worn bearings, if not it could be a motor seal.

jlbart

Bearings may be simple, but it takes time, especially in a shop it will add up fast.
The drive motors may just need new O rings too, a few bucks. A seal kit will run you about $100.
Hopefully it will be ok.
Sticky surfaces are always harder on the machine, if you were to mostly use it in the dirt, i wouldn't be too worried. I'd jack it up and check the axles for end float, if its excessive that leans towards worn bearings, if not it could be a motor seal.
Taz can you explain a little more of what you mean by wheel float?

Tazza

Staff member
Taz can you explain a little more of what you mean by wheel float?
End float is how far the axle moves in and out of the axle tube. If its too much, it will damage the bearings and eventually the seals

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

End float is how far the axle moves in and out of the axle tube. If its too much, it will damage the bearings and eventually the seals
Hi Guys, Thought I'd give you an update. The shop drained the chain case and discovered that the right hand drive motor [side with the issue] appears to be newer than the original drive motor on the left hand side due to a visible part tag. Also found a bunch of really nasty emulsified oil in the chain case and various metal bits glopped up in the emulsified goo on the bottom of the chain case [ I hate finding stuff like that... ]. They pulled the drive motor and motor carrier and discovered some flat spots on the bearing surfaces. So the bearings were replaced and new spec rubber seals installed. I was at the shop and was able to see all the old parts as they came out and then saw the motor carrier as he reassembled it again. New bearings felt great once installed, and the new seal install really increased the level of resistance when manipulating the axle bearings by hand. They reinstalled the drive motor, carrier, fresh oil and then tested it again. Same issue, so turns out the drive motor is crapped. Kind of bummed a little because of increased costs of repair, but then again I realized that I was rolling the dice when buying an ex-rental unit in an auction. So, I did my research as best I could and hoped for the best. Once the dust settles and if no other major expenses arise I'll still be happy with the experience and look forward to getting my machine home to start working it. I have good faith in the guys at the local shop, the parts manager is a long time motorcycle friend and the service manager/lead has a strong reputation. They both know that my priority is to have a safe operable machine that's being used on my own property, so they're doing the best they can for me. Anyway, hoping to be able to pick it up this coming Friday. Fingers crossed.

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Guys, Thought I'd give you an update. The shop drained the chain case and discovered that the right hand drive motor [side with the issue] appears to be newer than the original drive motor on the left hand side due to a visible part tag. Also found a bunch of really nasty emulsified oil in the chain case and various metal bits glopped up in the emulsified goo on the bottom of the chain case [ I hate finding stuff like that... ]. They pulled the drive motor and motor carrier and discovered some flat spots on the bearing surfaces. So the bearings were replaced and new spec rubber seals installed. I was at the shop and was able to see all the old parts as they came out and then saw the motor carrier as he reassembled it again. New bearings felt great once installed, and the new seal install really increased the level of resistance when manipulating the axle bearings by hand. They reinstalled the drive motor, carrier, fresh oil and then tested it again. Same issue, so turns out the drive motor is crapped. Kind of bummed a little because of increased costs of repair, but then again I realized that I was rolling the dice when buying an ex-rental unit in an auction. So, I did my research as best I could and hoped for the best. Once the dust settles and if no other major expenses arise I'll still be happy with the experience and look forward to getting my machine home to start working it. I have good faith in the guys at the local shop, the parts manager is a long time motorcycle friend and the service manager/lead has a strong reputation. They both know that my priority is to have a safe operable machine that's being used on my own property, so they're doing the best they can for me. Anyway, hoping to be able to pick it up this coming Friday. Fingers crossed.
Goo in the chaincase is not uncommon, its just bearing and chain/sprocket wear. Add a little water, and instant goo. That is why its meant to be changed out every 1,000 hours.
Depending on what is wrong with the drive motor, it may just need a seal kit installing.

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

Goo in the chaincase is not uncommon, its just bearing and chain/sprocket wear. Add a little water, and instant goo. That is why its meant to be changed out every 1,000 hours.
Depending on what is wrong with the drive motor, it may just need a seal kit installing.
Got her home today!!! Turns out there was quite a bit more wrong with the drive motor than just a seal kit. The drive motor pump was broken into 3 pieces. Yeah. Oh boy. So, a bunch of other stuff was replaced as well: Control stick pintel arms [wrong ones for this machine were in there, plus one of the 2 was broken and someone had metal wedges stuffed inside the square notch to try and make it fit/work], the pins and hardware for the Bobtach system was destroyed on one side, drive belt and tensioner, fuel by-pass valve replaced, throttle control assembly repaired, new battery, overhauled right hand side drive motor carrier, replaced right hand side drive motor, new hydraulic fluid hose for the new drive motor [existing one was too short and in really rough shape], a new fuel pick up tube, and various bushings, grease zircs, fittings, etc. She really runs great and is nice and powerful now. I'm happy and impressed with the local dealer/service shop here in Victoria, BC. Surfwood Supply is the shop. I'm a customer for life now. I bought an old used 62" toothed digging bucket off them as well, which will come in very handy and allows me to fit the machine easily into my back yard. Plus, the new-to-me 62" bucket fits perfectly inside the 68" smooth bucket that my machine came with. Nice!! I'm not sure how to upload photographs to this website, other wise I'd include some pictures of the old broken bits that the shop had sitting aside for me today. I was so excited when I picked her up today, that I forgot to buy some new oil & air filters to do a service on it!! Looks like I'll have to head up there again next week when they're open again. Can't wait to start playing with it!! :)

Tazza

Staff member
Got her home today!!! Turns out there was quite a bit more wrong with the drive motor than just a seal kit. The drive motor pump was broken into 3 pieces. Yeah. Oh boy. So, a bunch of other stuff was replaced as well: Control stick pintel arms [wrong ones for this machine were in there, plus one of the 2 was broken and someone had metal wedges stuffed inside the square notch to try and make it fit/work], the pins and hardware for the Bobtach system was destroyed on one side, drive belt and tensioner, fuel by-pass valve replaced, throttle control assembly repaired, new battery, overhauled right hand side drive motor carrier, replaced right hand side drive motor, new hydraulic fluid hose for the new drive motor [existing one was too short and in really rough shape], a new fuel pick up tube, and various bushings, grease zircs, fittings, etc. She really runs great and is nice and powerful now. I'm happy and impressed with the local dealer/service shop here in Victoria, BC. Surfwood Supply is the shop. I'm a customer for life now. I bought an old used 62" toothed digging bucket off them as well, which will come in very handy and allows me to fit the machine easily into my back yard. Plus, the new-to-me 62" bucket fits perfectly inside the 68" smooth bucket that my machine came with. Nice!! I'm not sure how to upload photographs to this website, other wise I'd include some pictures of the old broken bits that the shop had sitting aside for me today. I was so excited when I picked her up today, that I forgot to buy some new oil & air filters to do a service on it!! Looks like I'll have to head up there again next week when they're open again. Can't wait to start playing with it!! :)
Dare i ask you what they charged you for all that?
At least its all fixed though.

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

Dare i ask you what they charged you for all that?
At least its all fixed though.
The invoice for all of it was in the neighbourhood fo $5,500 CDN funds. The biggest deal of the package was the used bucket, which was an old rental unit that been worked over fairly well. Lol, it has 1.5" - 2" diameter rebar welded on as digging teeth. Not pretty, but effective... I'll still have to do basic maintenance servicing myself like the motor oil & filter, plus look at a set of tires down the way when I start hiring myself out to others. The tires have a bit of tread left, but not much. Wouldn't want to get into too much mud with what is on there now, but they are fine around my small yard in the grass, gravel & garden. Good enough for the girl I married.

Tazza

Staff member
The invoice for all of it was in the neighbourhood fo $5,500 CDN funds. The biggest deal of the package was the used bucket, which was an old rental unit that been worked over fairly well. Lol, it has 1.5" - 2" diameter rebar welded on as digging teeth. Not pretty, but effective... I'll still have to do basic maintenance servicing myself like the motor oil & filter, plus look at a set of tires down the way when I start hiring myself out to others. The tires have a bit of tread left, but not much. Wouldn't want to get into too much mud with what is on there now, but they are fine around my small yard in the grass, gravel & garden. Good enough for the girl I married.
Ouch, but at least its all working as it should.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the tyres. I have new tyres, in the mud i slip and slide all over the place. Bald tyres also cause less damage to grass. I used my 731 for years on tyres that had canvas showing. I did end up having one blow out, so they did need changing eventually :)
I did only use it for home use.

skidsteer.ca

Ouch, but at least its all working as it should.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the tyres. I have new tyres, in the mud i slip and slide all over the place. Bald tyres also cause less damage to grass. I used my 731 for years on tyres that had canvas showing. I did end up having one blow out, so they did need changing eventually :)
I did only use it for home use.
Hope you are fixed for quite awhile and got a good buy at auction to easy the pain. Often auction machines are there for a reason, so here is hoping you bought it right to easy the repair cost. Many of theitems you mention we could have help you through if you have some mechanical ability.
Keep that in mind for the future. I buy machine like that too from time to time, but do what ever repairs I can in house, rent or use the unit for awhile to recover some of this cost then resell them in good working condition.
Keep us posted how your Bobcat experience goes.
Ken

OP
OP
B

BALLS753

Hope you are fixed for quite awhile and got a good buy at auction to easy the pain. Often auction machines are there for a reason, so here is hoping you bought it right to easy the repair cost. Many of theitems you mention we could have help you through if you have some mechanical ability.
Keep that in mind for the future. I buy machine like that too from time to time, but do what ever repairs I can in house, rent or use the unit for awhile to recover some of this cost then resell them in good working condition.
Keep us posted how your Bobcat experience goes.
Ken
Thanks Ken, I'll definitely keep the offer in mind. I picked up an owners manual and service manual to tackle as many of the routine service items as I can, but for some of the bigger repairs I wanted to trust the local shop that has the experience and rapid source of parts to get the machine working properly for my initial use. Especially when dealing with needing pump motors shipped from somewhere near Wisconsin [they threw it in a crate of stuff that was already being shipped, so I saved some $$$ there] and other broken internal bits. I used the machine on a couple different projects over the last couple of weeks and I'm really happy so far. Looking forward to get going on a bigger project with it here at home so I feel like it is earning its keep. Getting my air brake endorsement in the middle of this month, so then I'll be able to use a dump truck and get my project going forward.