John Deere smackdown site.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

waggles

I watched the John Deere smackdown video that puts an S130 vs a John deere machine, they have to drive forward over some mounds of dirt with an empty bucket. "Something that all the manufacturers tell you not to do" Then when the John deere rides over without tipping and gets a bucket full of dirt drives back over to return to the start point. Meanwhile the S130 with a drt bucket keeps tipping backward and cannot get over the final hump. Any operator worth his salt would reverse over the hump, but they made up rules that prevent this thus ensuring the John Deere wins a pointless comparison. An S130 has a 60/40 rear weight bias to offset when the bucket is loaded, the John Deere maybe 50/50 bias which means it will go over things better with an empty bucket . My point is no operator will find a real world comparison with this video. Here in Australia we use 4in1 combination buckets almost exclusively( checkout Norm engineering in QLD), these are much heavier and balance the machine better than a stock dirt bucket. And if you want to go up a steep slope just open the bucket and crowd forward , this will let you go up very steep inclines without tipping back. I have built Supercross tracks over the years and this technique works well. I must admit its good marketing by John Deere but I find it hard to believe anyone with a lot experience would fall for such a comparison.

bobbie-g

I use a 4-in-1 bucket and really like it even though I wasn't taught by an Aussie :). Not sure what you mean when talking about going up a steep slope: "just open the bucket and crowd forward"? Could you explain a bit more to this novice? --- My brother worked for JD for 30 years. He tells how they demonstrate their tracked tractor running across railroad ties. I forget who the competition was, but their field engineers carefully spaced the ties to give a smooth ride to the JD and a very rough ride to the competitor. It was all in the spacing of the railroad ties, space them differently, and the results were reversed. What a world we live in... :) ---RC

skidsteer.ca

I use a 4-in-1 bucket and really like it even though I wasn't taught by an Aussie :). Not sure what you mean when talking about going up a steep slope: "just open the bucket and crowd forward"? Could you explain a bit more to this novice? --- My brother worked for JD for 30 years. He tells how they demonstrate their tracked tractor running across railroad ties. I forget who the competition was, but their field engineers carefully spaced the ties to give a smooth ride to the JD and a very rough ride to the competitor. It was all in the spacing of the railroad ties, space them differently, and the results were reversed. What a world we live in... :) ---RC
The only real good thing about this series was the flag girl, and now she is gone
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
The only real good thing about this series was the flag girl, and now she is gone
Ken
Its a shame i don't get a discount from Norm as i live in Brisbane where they are made :)
As for the opening and crowding:
To put more weight up front, lift the arms up a little, open the 4 in 1 so the front sits out firther and tilt the bobtach forward so the teeth or cutting edge is as far out front as possible, this will put the maximum weight out front. Its also great if you are lifting something and can't get the reach from the arms and bucket tilted right back. You open the 4 in 1 and you get about another 1.5 metres of lift.
If that still doesn't make a lot of sense, let me know and i'll take a picture for you, its really simple, yet effective.
I had to get up a really steep hill, i loaded the bucket FULL of dirt and simply drove up, i couldn't back up as it would tip forward even without a load. I got myself free pretty easily with the bucket of dirt.

bobbie-g

Its a shame i don't get a discount from Norm as i live in Brisbane where they are made :)
As for the opening and crowding:
To put more weight up front, lift the arms up a little, open the 4 in 1 so the front sits out firther and tilt the bobtach forward so the teeth or cutting edge is as far out front as possible, this will put the maximum weight out front. Its also great if you are lifting something and can't get the reach from the arms and bucket tilted right back. You open the 4 in 1 and you get about another 1.5 metres of lift.
If that still doesn't make a lot of sense, let me know and i'll take a picture for you, its really simple, yet effective.
I had to get up a really steep hill, i loaded the bucket FULL of dirt and simply drove up, i couldn't back up as it would tip forward even without a load. I got myself free pretty easily with the bucket of dirt.
Tnx, Taryn. Got it! ---RC

bobcat_ron

Tnx, Taryn. Got it! ---RC
Someone needs to do a real world smack down with fixed elevated ramps.
That's one of the biggest reasons I hate Deere so damn much, I even posted a comment on the Smack Down site, and it was removed PDQ because it brought up a flaw in Deere's loader design.

OP
OP
W

waggles

Tazza explained it perfectly ! Thanks mate .