John Deere 575 Skid steer, rusted cylinder, Run it or not?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

topfli8979

I have a John deere 575 that has sat a few years not operating because prior owner broke the drive chains and never fixed. Before I put all the money into the drive system I want to verify the motor will perform. I pulled the cylinder head, and 3rd cylinder toward the cab was full of antifreeze. No telling how long it sat like that. Anyway there is a vertical line of rust. Motor turns over by hand fine,no crunching,grinding sounds. Will it run as is and work fro me?

Bobcatdan

Without seeing pictures, I can only guess how bad it is. The engine probably would run, but I would think the rings would lose sealing and it would drink oil. At minuim the piston should be pulled and the cylinder honed.

Tazza

Staff member
Without seeing pictures, I can only guess how bad it is. The engine probably would run, but I would think the rings would lose sealing and it would drink oil. At minuim the piston should be pulled and the cylinder honed.
If you are in that deep, you need a head gasket, I'd personally hone the cylinders and throw in a set of rings.
If there was coolant in there, get the head crack tested.

mmsllc

If you are in that deep, you need a head gasket, I'd personally hone the cylinders and throw in a set of rings.
If there was coolant in there, get the head crack tested.
I agree. If you are looking to protect your investment, it is a good idea to the engine out. Then pull it apart to recondition it. If you do run the engine in the previously mentioned / current condition, then the cylinder could be badly damaged beyond repair. Be careful there, it is so tempting to ignore it.