JD8875 backhoe question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

John, when you used the 3pt hitch links for the upper mounts did you let both ends swivel? Does this allow sideways movement or is it pretty solid ? I like the idea for one thing I have the upper links, and you can adjust them for length. Less welding also on this one. If the links were mounted so they were not parallel, but either angled toward each other or away from each other at the backhoe end do you think that would cancel out sideways wiggle?

JD8875

I made two plates with two tabs on them and mounted to the front of my machine right under the cab entrance. I then set two sets of tabs on the plate I added for the hoe about an inch wider than the seat bracket on each side. This makes my links taper about four inches total from the width at the frame of the machine to the backhoe frame. I just pull them up hand tight and then tapped the locks with a hammer so they wouldn't work loose. I haven't ran it a whole lot as I just got it all put together earlier this week. I dug about six trees with it on Tuesday though and it didn't seem to have any side swing in it. One thing I did have to do was cut about 3 1/2" out of the middle of the links so they were short enough. I just cut them in two with the chop saw, cut out what I needed then welded them and sleeved the tubes with a piece of DOM tubing I had laying around and welded both ends of it. If left perfectly parallel I think its possible you could get some side shift out of the dual balls on the links if the pins and bushings in the loader arms were real sloppy. My 8875 isn't pristine and it has some slack but I didn't seem to have any problems with it shifting sideways. John

JD8875

I made two plates with two tabs on them and mounted to the front of my machine right under the cab entrance. I then set two sets of tabs on the plate I added for the hoe about an inch wider than the seat bracket on each side. This makes my links taper about four inches total from the width at the frame of the machine to the backhoe frame. I just pull them up hand tight and then tapped the locks with a hammer so they wouldn't work loose. I haven't ran it a whole lot as I just got it all put together earlier this week. I dug about six trees with it on Tuesday though and it didn't seem to have any side swing in it. One thing I did have to do was cut about 3 1/2" out of the middle of the links so they were short enough. I just cut them in two with the chop saw, cut out what I needed then welded them and sleeved the tubes with a piece of DOM tubing I had laying around and welded both ends of it. If left perfectly parallel I think its possible you could get some side shift out of the dual balls on the links if the pins and bushings in the loader arms were real sloppy. My 8875 isn't pristine and it has some slack but I didn't seem to have any problems with it shifting sideways. John
Forgot to say this wasn't totally my idea. Skidsteerca and some others suggested using one link. I used two because I had them and I know how we are on equipment. If it'll dig a little tree someone around my place will try to dig a REALLY BIG tree. So I added the extra beef to it to hoefuly prevent my kin folk from tearing it up.

OP
OP
J

jerry

Thanks John,I think I will go with your plan, sounds good to me.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks John,I think I will go with your plan, sounds good to me.
The one I had just used one link. On the hoe they made a bracket that pivoted up and down. The 3rd link had a threaded rod on the end and the brackets was jambed between 2 nuts on the thread. Must have been 1" thread or maybey 1 1/4" even. The other end had a quick release that snapped over a sphere that stayed with the loader.
The setup was not designed to hold anything sideways, your boom will do that.
It was a JD 911 pro hoe 9' with a extra 2' on the extender. Was being used on a big Cat skid as was standing up well before I got it. Sold it to a friend who is still using it on his JD 250.
Ken

DW

The one I had just used one link. On the hoe they made a bracket that pivoted up and down. The 3rd link had a threaded rod on the end and the brackets was jambed between 2 nuts on the thread. Must have been 1" thread or maybey 1 1/4" even. The other end had a quick release that snapped over a sphere that stayed with the loader.
The setup was not designed to hold anything sideways, your boom will do that.
It was a JD 911 pro hoe 9' with a extra 2' on the extender. Was being used on a big Cat skid as was standing up well before I got it. Sold it to a friend who is still using it on his JD 250.
Ken
Jerry I don't if this will help you out.I have a set of stock Bobcat backhoe mounts (trailer ball style) that were on my 743 and I am not going to use them . I would sell them.Let me know if they would work for you. Dick

OP
OP
J

jerry

Jerry I don't if this will help you out.I have a set of stock Bobcat backhoe mounts (trailer ball style) that were on my 743 and I am not going to use them . I would sell them.Let me know if they would work for you. Dick
Thanks Dick but I have all the stuff to make the trailer ball style, I do like the adjustable part of using 3pt links so I am going to try that first. It's good to know that you have the parts available though.

Latest posts