Interm 4 or the new Tier 4 motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tonto

What is the difference other than Kubota and Doosan motor, more or less power, servicing, or anything else that help me decide on which one or should I wait to see how the Doosan motor holds up?

Bobcatdan

The doosan engine will not have a DPF to worry about, no regents or cleanings. It will use DEF as far as I know. In the class I took on the engines, claims of a very wide flat power curve to maintain max engine power up to a 600rpm lug down. I have no real seat time in one because I left the dealer just as the first 2.4 were coming out. I have heard of minor teething problems with the injectors, but overall nothing real bad. As far as I'm concern, the interim tier 4 Kubotas are junk. Gutless pigs that love fuel.

OP
OP
T

tonto

The doosan engine will not have a DPF to worry about, no regents or cleanings. It will use DEF as far as I know. In the class I took on the engines, claims of a very wide flat power curve to maintain max engine power up to a 600rpm lug down. I have no real seat time in one because I left the dealer just as the first 2.4 were coming out. I have heard of minor teething problems with the injectors, but overall nothing real bad. As far as I'm concern, the interim tier 4 Kubotas are junk. Gutless pigs that love fuel.
Thanks for the heads up on the Kubota motor, that's hard to believe that it is gutless pig, they have been using Kubota for a long time. Maybe I'll wait a while to see how the new engines work out and keep watching this site on feed back from some of the owners. Thanks for the input

Bobcatdan

Thanks for the heads up on the Kubota motor, that's hard to believe that it is gutless pig, they have been using Kubota for a long time. Maybe I'll wait a while to see how the new engines work out and keep watching this site on feed back from some of the owners. Thanks for the input
Maybe demo one to get some seat time. Maybe you will be with the kubota's performance. At least it will give you a base line to compair to the new engine. I haven't seen much for issues for a reliability stand point other then your fuel had to be perfect 100% of the time or the filter will plug up.

OP
OP
T

tonto

Maybe demo one to get some seat time. Maybe you will be with the kubota's performance. At least it will give you a base line to compair to the new engine. I haven't seen much for issues for a reliability stand point other then your fuel had to be perfect 100% of the time or the filter will plug up.
We will keep an eye on the forum to keep up on the new motors. Hope some others will put some input on what is happening with them.

Rental stop

We will keep an eye on the forum to keep up on the new motors. Hope some others will put some input on what is happening with them.
Bobcatdan are all of the later kubota engines gutless pigs ? I am looking at a new t590 with a kubota 66hp. Leftover brand new machine. I am looking very hard at this since the doosan engines are new. Dealer has one with kubota and standard controls and one with kubota and joysticks. I run a rental store, we have had three tire bobcats for five years with standard controls, I am seriously considering the joysticks. They cost $2k more but more people seem to switching everyday. What are your thoughts on the m series joysticks ??

reaperman

Bobcatdan are all of the later kubota engines gutless pigs ? I am looking at a new t590 with a kubota 66hp. Leftover brand new machine. I am looking very hard at this since the doosan engines are new. Dealer has one with kubota and standard controls and one with kubota and joysticks. I run a rental store, we have had three tire bobcats for five years with standard controls, I am seriously considering the joysticks. They cost $2k more but more people seem to switching everyday. What are your thoughts on the m series joysticks ??
The Kubota engine in our t750 at work is the Tier 4. Now one year old, I will say it does like its fuel. That's the very first thing I noticed when we got the machine, which replaced a t250. The engines power doesn't seem to lack, but what does is the bypass's on the hydraulics. Its hard to bog the engine down when grunting thru something because the bypass will engage and basically stop the machine. This is more noticeable in lifting than traveling. When lifting something (too) heavy, the engine will be running wide open but the lifting ability will just stop. It seems with all of our machines in the past, the engine would bog down and at least try lift heavy objects. Instead of doing nothing when the pedal is engaged. As far as joysticks, I personally favor foot pedals but that's just an opinion. I will say foot pedals are a lot simpler if troubles pop up. We have had issues in the past with our cat skidsteers and hand controls. They aren't cheap fixes with all of the complicated electronics these days. I hope someone else can address your joystick question from a mechanical point of view.

Bobcatdan

The Kubota engine in our t750 at work is the Tier 4. Now one year old, I will say it does like its fuel. That's the very first thing I noticed when we got the machine, which replaced a t250. The engines power doesn't seem to lack, but what does is the bypass's on the hydraulics. Its hard to bog the engine down when grunting thru something because the bypass will engage and basically stop the machine. This is more noticeable in lifting than traveling. When lifting something (too) heavy, the engine will be running wide open but the lifting ability will just stop. It seems with all of our machines in the past, the engine would bog down and at least try lift heavy objects. Instead of doing nothing when the pedal is engaged. As far as joysticks, I personally favor foot pedals but that's just an opinion. I will say foot pedals are a lot simpler if troubles pop up. We have had issues in the past with our cat skidsteers and hand controls. They aren't cheap fixes with all of the complicated electronics these days. I hope someone else can address your joystick question from a mechanical point of view.
The Kubota engine in a T590 is fine. It is basically a tier 3 engine with no computer or after treatments. I'd grab it. I don't like the tier 4 Kubota used as a stop gap in the 750 and larger. I'm out of the dealership now so I don't have much experience with the new doosan engines. The 3.4 in the 750 and larger units do use DEF now. 740 and smaller do not.