Installing cab heater in 743B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcat732

I have bought and installed a heating unit and hooked it up to the thermostat bypass but I can't seem to get any flow through the hoses even after pre-filling the unit. The hoses are long enough to allow the cab to be raised. Any ideas where I have gone wrong? Thanks

SkidRoe

In order to get flow through your heater, you will need to make connections to the engine in locations that give you a pressure differential between the two connections. Usually, if you connect one to the thermostat housing, the other would need to be connected to the side of the block, or at least in a parallel flow path to the radiator.
You will also want to install some sort of shut off valve in the heater loop, so that you do not rob flow away from the rad during the warmer months when you are not running the heater fan.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
B

bobcat732

In order to get flow through your heater, you will need to make connections to the engine in locations that give you a pressure differential between the two connections. Usually, if you connect one to the thermostat housing, the other would need to be connected to the side of the block, or at least in a parallel flow path to the radiator.
You will also want to install some sort of shut off valve in the heater loop, so that you do not rob flow away from the rad during the warmer months when you are not running the heater fan.
HTH - SR
Thanks. Is there some preferred place on the block that I can remove a plug and replace with a fitting? I can see a plug on the thermostat housing that should work.

SkidRoe

Thanks. Is there some preferred place on the block that I can remove a plug and replace with a fitting? I can see a plug on the thermostat housing that should work.
Can't tell you for sure. Maybe someone with a 743 can chime in.
It is possible that you may have to tee into the lower rad hose, base on some cab heater installs I have seen on Kubota tractors.

Tazza

Staff member
Can't tell you for sure. Maybe someone with a 743 can chime in.
It is possible that you may have to tee into the lower rad hose, base on some cab heater installs I have seen on Kubota tractors.
I thought most people installed them across the by-pass hose, the issue is when the thermostat opens you don't get the pressure difference as SR mentioned.
I have heard of people installing an inline water pump tu give that difference and it worked very well.