Injector pump problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Westtt80

i am still working on getting my john deere 24a loader running that was sitting for 25 years. i pulled the lines off that go from the injector pump to the injectors and when i turn the motor over its almost like the pump is low on pressure almost like i can put my fingers over the outlet and keep the fuel from coming out. i am waiting on a new filter but could the filter really be that clogged to restrict the flow that much?

Tazza

Staff member
Anything is possible. Do remember that the fuel delivery to each injector per turn is only small. It may not feel like its working right, but it could be. I'd strip the injectors to ensure the nozzles are free to move. They do tend to stick after long periods of sitting.
Are you getting good fuel pressure to the pump? is the air all bled out? both of these can cause issues of not pumping out enough fuel.
Ensure the stop lever is not pulled too.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

Anything is possible. Do remember that the fuel delivery to each injector per turn is only small. It may not feel like its working right, but it could be. I'd strip the injectors to ensure the nozzles are free to move. They do tend to stick after long periods of sitting.
Are you getting good fuel pressure to the pump? is the air all bled out? both of these can cause issues of not pumping out enough fuel.
Ensure the stop lever is not pulled too.
This loader has a Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel. i don't see a pump anywhere that would supply fuel pressure to the pump. Ive bled the air to the pump (two bleeder bolts on side) and after that to each injector individually while cranking the motor. fuel is getting to the injectors but im not experienced enough to know if its the proper amount..... i tried getting the injectors out today with no luck. Are they reverse thread?........ i assume by stop lever you mean the parking brake? if so i bypassed all the safety switch so power goes directly to the starter solenoid. and the hydrostatic pump is not hooked up......

Tazza

Staff member
This loader has a Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel. i don't see a pump anywhere that would supply fuel pressure to the pump. Ive bled the air to the pump (two bleeder bolts on side) and after that to each injector individually while cranking the motor. fuel is getting to the injectors but im not experienced enough to know if its the proper amount..... i tried getting the injectors out today with no luck. Are they reverse thread?........ i assume by stop lever you mean the parking brake? if so i bypassed all the safety switch so power goes directly to the starter solenoid. and the hydrostatic pump is not hooked up......
The omjectors should not be left hand thread, they may just be a little rusted on the threads.
By stop lever, i meant the one for the fuel, not the park brake, sorry.
It sounds like the injector pump has an internal lift pump that supplies pressure. Diesel injector pumps don't move much fluid at all. It could be the right amount still. Just how much are you getting out when you spin the engine over? it won't spray out, it should just well up. If you wipe the delivery nozzles so the fuel is flat, turn te engine over, the flat spot should turn to a sort of bubble of fuel. That's about all that is injected into the engine every turn.
I think you will need to get the injectors out to get them cleaned/checked. Even if you do it your self to make sure they are not stuck.
These have a head that you can put a deep socket on right?

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

The omjectors should not be left hand thread, they may just be a little rusted on the threads.
By stop lever, i meant the one for the fuel, not the park brake, sorry.
It sounds like the injector pump has an internal lift pump that supplies pressure. Diesel injector pumps don't move much fluid at all. It could be the right amount still. Just how much are you getting out when you spin the engine over? it won't spray out, it should just well up. If you wipe the delivery nozzles so the fuel is flat, turn te engine over, the flat spot should turn to a sort of bubble of fuel. That's about all that is injected into the engine every turn.
I think you will need to get the injectors out to get them cleaned/checked. Even if you do it your self to make sure they are not stuck.
These have a head that you can put a deep socket on right?
im not sure where the stop lever is. and it sound like im getting enough fluid according to your description. i think i can get a deep socket on the injector if i take the inlet fitting off. i was messing with one today and i got the cap off the top thats it. i was trying to turn the adapter that threads into the block that the injector threads into. I think thats why i was having trouble

Tazza

Staff member
im not sure where the stop lever is. and it sound like im getting enough fluid according to your description. i think i can get a deep socket on the injector if i take the inlet fitting off. i was messing with one today and i got the cap off the top thats it. i was trying to turn the adapter that threads into the block that the injector threads into. I think thats why i was having trouble
I assume yours look close to this:
China_Toyota_2L_diesel_injector2011571618248.jpg

You will notice there are two parts that screw together to make the injector. It then screws into the head.
The cap you are talking about i think may be the tap off line. Is it joined to the other injectors with a small pipe? With that removed, a deep socket should go over the injector and allow you to remove it.
I am assuming your engine runs this basic type on injector.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

I assume yours look close to this:

You will notice there are two parts that screw together to make the injector. It then screws into the head.
The cap you are talking about i think may be the tap off line. Is it joined to the other injectors with a small pipe? With that removed, a deep socket should go over the injector and allow you to remove it.
I am assuming your engine runs this basic type on injector.
i am pretty sure thats what i have. once i have them out how/what do i clean the with? i appreciate your time helping me!

Tazza

Staff member
i am pretty sure thats what i have. once i have them out how/what do i clean the with? i appreciate your time helping me!
I just use WD40 and compressed air.
Some times the plunger part in the nozzle gets stuck from non use. I have had to hold the back of it in the vice and lever it out. A few squirts of WD40 and it was nice and free.
I can try and take some pictures if you want? I have a few spare injectors that are the same type, they won't be exact but it will be very close. I can show you the internals and tell you what parts you need free up.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

I just use WD40 and compressed air.
Some times the plunger part in the nozzle gets stuck from non use. I have had to hold the back of it in the vice and lever it out. A few squirts of WD40 and it was nice and free.
I can try and take some pictures if you want? I have a few spare injectors that are the same type, they won't be exact but it will be very close. I can show you the internals and tell you what parts you need free up.
That would be awesome if you could. My injectors have the inlet lines that run in the side and I guess the return lines run across the tops. I should have them off tomorrow and I'll post pictures of what they look like.

Tazza

Staff member
That would be awesome if you could. My injectors have the inlet lines that run in the side and I guess the return lines run across the tops. I should have them off tomorrow and I'll post pictures of what they look like.
Ok, if you can look up my profile, can you please send me an e-mail? This will help remind me to do it. I'm currently busy trying to get a high pressure compressor built before the weekend so things are being forgotten :)
Showing the innards of an injector won't take long, it shouly help explain what i mean about the nozzle. I have had great success with pulling them down and freeing up the nozzle. Just make sure you keep each injectors parts seperate, don't mix bits.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, if you can look up my profile, can you please send me an e-mail? This will help remind me to do it. I'm currently busy trying to get a high pressure compressor built before the weekend so things are being forgotten :)
Showing the innards of an injector won't take long, it shouly help explain what i mean about the nozzle. I have had great success with pulling them down and freeing up the nozzle. Just make sure you keep each injectors parts seperate, don't mix bits.
Pictures sent.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

Pictures sent.
Got them. Thanks Im going to pull that one bad injector out today and see if i can clean it up. i was messing with it last night. Turning it over and messing with the throttle it sounded like it was trying to start to me. so i think im getting close!

Tazza

Staff member
Got them. Thanks Im going to pull that one bad injector out today and see if i can clean it up. i was messing with it last night. Turning it over and messing with the throttle it sounded like it was trying to start to me. so i think im getting close!
Excellent.
Hopefully the plunger part is just stuck. If not, it will have to go to a shop to be done, but worry about that later.
Keep us informed.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

Excellent.
Hopefully the plunger part is just stuck. If not, it will have to go to a shop to be done, but worry about that later.
Keep us informed.
Okay so this is where im at. Took all the injectors apart and cleaned up the internals with Diesel and air. Still smoke no fire... Its like it attempts to start after i let it sit for a while and first come let the glow plugs light and turn it over. What i do is turn it over for 15 seconds then stop. I can see it pushing the starter back in like its trying to start. Then i do it for another 15 seconds and it doesnt even seem/sound like its trying. Also when i pulled the injectors it had black oil all over the ends smelled like fuel. Yesterday i even put a heater on the motor for an hour. It smoked alot more but didnt try to fire. Not even withe starting fluid on a rag over the intake It may be flooding out?

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

Okay so this is where im at. Took all the injectors apart and cleaned up the internals with Diesel and air. Still smoke no fire... Its like it attempts to start after i let it sit for a while and first come let the glow plugs light and turn it over. What i do is turn it over for 15 seconds then stop. I can see it pushing the starter back in like its trying to start. Then i do it for another 15 seconds and it doesnt even seem/sound like its trying. Also when i pulled the injectors it had black oil all over the ends smelled like fuel. Yesterday i even put a heater on the motor for an hour. It smoked alot more but didnt try to fire. Not even withe starting fluid on a rag over the intake It may be flooding out?

jerry

I like the video idea, what have you done to ensure that the glow plugs are actually heating up? have you taken them out and put power to them?

Tazza

Staff member
I like the video idea, what have you done to ensure that the glow plugs are actually heating up? have you taken them out and put power to them?
The black fuel is just because its not burning it up.
With the starting fluid, without the glow plugs on, crank and give it a shot, see if it fires.
As for flooding, i don't believe diesels do this. They are not like petrol engines in that respect. It will eventually fire and burn the excess fuel off with a bit of smoke.
Good point about checking the glow plugs, it is possible they are bad.
A compression test may be in order if that all fails.
It has been sitting for some time, i wonder if an inlet or exhaust valve could be stuck? it would cause lower comoression that would prevent it firing.

OP
OP
W

Westtt80

The black fuel is just because its not burning it up.
With the starting fluid, without the glow plugs on, crank and give it a shot, see if it fires.
As for flooding, i don't believe diesels do this. They are not like petrol engines in that respect. It will eventually fire and burn the excess fuel off with a bit of smoke.
Good point about checking the glow plugs, it is possible they are bad.
A compression test may be in order if that all fails.
It has been sitting for some time, i wonder if an inlet or exhaust valve could be stuck? it would cause lower comoression that would prevent it firing.
I took the glow plugs out and jumped them off a lawnmower battery and all but cylinder 2 works. Starting fluid will not sart it. I'm thinking it either a valve or the rings are still stuck and or broken...