Increasing aux. flow on 4XX series

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hotrod1830

I seem to remember someone on here installing a bigger pump on a older 4XX machine, but cant find it. Is there a way to increase the hydraulic flow on the older machines to, say around 10 gpm? Is it just a pump swap away? Im considering getting a 453 or 463. Dont really have the cash for a s70.

SkidRoe

The 463 already has the higher capacity pump and increased relief valve pressure of the S70, so that may help you make your choice.
I increased my flow slightly by fitting a 0.5" larger OD pulley when I repowered my 440B. Combined with the fact that the Chinese Honda runs 400 rpm faster than the Kohler, I have picked up about a gallon per minute.
I have resisted the urge to tamper with my relief valve setting. I am afraid the extra power will cause me to break (more) stuff. I am getting adequate power out of my hydraulic auger, and that is about the only place that I think it would make a difference for me. It is kind of nice to have the auger stall when you hit somenting solid.
If I really do need more power/lift/etc., I go get the 773 from the farm.
What attachments are you contemplating that would require a quantum leap in aux. flow/pressure?
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1830

The 463 already has the higher capacity pump and increased relief valve pressure of the S70, so that may help you make your choice.
I increased my flow slightly by fitting a 0.5" larger OD pulley when I repowered my 440B. Combined with the fact that the Chinese Honda runs 400 rpm faster than the Kohler, I have picked up about a gallon per minute.
I have resisted the urge to tamper with my relief valve setting. I am afraid the extra power will cause me to break (more) stuff. I am getting adequate power out of my hydraulic auger, and that is about the only place that I think it would make a difference for me. It is kind of nice to have the auger stall when you hit somenting solid.
If I really do need more power/lift/etc., I go get the 773 from the farm.
What attachments are you contemplating that would require a quantum leap in aux. flow/pressure?
Cheers - SR
I was thinking about a log splitter, but faster hydraulic operation in general would be nice. I would love a 463. I would take a 453 but not sure if I would be happy with the 6.8 gpm.
My main concern is if the hydraulic curcuits could handle it. Wouldnt be much point in adding a bigger pump if the lines or valve wont flow it.

SkidRoe

I was thinking about a log splitter, but faster hydraulic operation in general would be nice. I would love a 463. I would take a 453 but not sure if I would be happy with the 6.8 gpm.
My main concern is if the hydraulic curcuits could handle it. Wouldnt be much point in adding a bigger pump if the lines or valve wont flow it.
If memory serves me correctly, the 463/S70 flow about 10 gpm, so not a quantum leap in flow. I don't think the lines on the older machines will cause a restiction issue, they are all 1/2", so they could easily handle 15 gpm.
The big difference comes from the fact that the auxiliary hydraulics are running at 2500 - 3000psi, versus the 1400psi of the 453 and older machines.
FWIW - I have had our wood splitter on the 440B before. Yes, it is slower and less powerful than when it is on the 773, but not frustratingly so. The splitter uses a 4" x 24" cylinder. The biggest difference in performance is that with the 440B, there is not much reserve lifting power, as our splitter weights about 500 lbs. Using the splitter as tongs to move big blocks is quite limited.
What kind of wood will you be splitting?
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1830

If memory serves me correctly, the 463/S70 flow about 10 gpm, so not a quantum leap in flow. I don't think the lines on the older machines will cause a restiction issue, they are all 1/2", so they could easily handle 15 gpm.
The big difference comes from the fact that the auxiliary hydraulics are running at 2500 - 3000psi, versus the 1400psi of the 453 and older machines.
FWIW - I have had our wood splitter on the 440B before. Yes, it is slower and less powerful than when it is on the 773, but not frustratingly so. The splitter uses a 4" x 24" cylinder. The biggest difference in performance is that with the 440B, there is not much reserve lifting power, as our splitter weights about 500 lbs. Using the splitter as tongs to move big blocks is quite limited.
What kind of wood will you be splitting?
Cheers - SR
The wood is all mixed. I just cut up and split any tree that falls. Nothing green. I think I have an Oak that is waiting on me.
I agree, the pressure difference may be the biggest difference that I would notice.
I also got to thinking. Every time the new models got a bump in pump pressure or flow, they got a HP increase. Starting off with 15 hp on a 453 doesnt leave alot of room to drive more pump. I should probably just find a late model 463 and be done with it.
Thanks for the input Roe.
Brad

SkidRoe

The wood is all mixed. I just cut up and split any tree that falls. Nothing green. I think I have an Oak that is waiting on me.
I agree, the pressure difference may be the biggest difference that I would notice.
I also got to thinking. Every time the new models got a bump in pump pressure or flow, they got a HP increase. Starting off with 15 hp on a 453 doesnt leave alot of room to drive more pump. I should probably just find a late model 463 and be done with it.
Thanks for the input Roe.
Brad
No problem. I fully agree with the HP thing. It is absolutely amazing how much better my 440b works with a 20hp engine.
Let us know how you make out. I would love a 463 or an S70 some day.
Cheers - SR

jocww

No problem. I fully agree with the HP thing. It is absolutely amazing how much better my 440b works with a 20hp engine.
Let us know how you make out. I would love a 463 or an S70 some day.
Cheers - SR
SR what kind of auger do you have? Would my 443 be able to run it? I am looking for an auger and am researching what I can and cant run with the 443, Im looking at even converting my mounting plates because I cant rent or buy attachments it seems!