I have some questions on PAINT!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Paint that dries too fast will have toe "Orange peel" effect. Follow the label........
I like to slow my paint down too, i can never get to paint the whole thing before it starts to dry and i get a dusty looking finish. When i used two pack paint, it dries slower and when i was done, i had a mirror finish.
If your paint is drying too fast, you can get a retarder for it, it slows it's drying time down to get a good finish.

Hotrod1830

I like to slow my paint down too, i can never get to paint the whole thing before it starts to dry and i get a dusty looking finish. When i used two pack paint, it dries slower and when i was done, i had a mirror finish.
If your paint is drying too fast, you can get a retarder for it, it slows it's drying time down to get a good finish.
Just realized what heetseeker was saying.... Acetone is the active chemical in Carb cleaner and nail polish remover. Please do not add this to your paint. You will be doing it over.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

Just realized what heetseeker was saying.... Acetone is the active chemical in Carb cleaner and nail polish remover. Please do not add this to your paint. You will be doing it over.
Yeah! It sounded a little too counter intuitive to me. I can see adding an activator or some other additive, but a solvent? That does not sound right to me.

rodbuilder

STAY AWAY FROM BOBCAT DEALERS!!!! Bobcat's paint must have gold in it because they want $13 plus tax for ONE spray can!!! Here's what ya' do - Go buy your last can spray paint from the Bobcat dealer - orange, gray and white. Then spray some of each on a suitable sample - a piece of sheet metal will do. Take the color swatches to your local Lowes, Home Depot or Menards store and tell the paint guys you want to buy some "equipment" paint. Valspar is one seller of it and I think they can even mix Rustoleum for you too. If you buy Valspar be sure to buy their harder or it will take forever to dry! Some places can even put the paint in spray cans if you want that, but you can buy a decent spray gun from Harbor Freight for about $25.00 - or you can brush or roll it on. It's a Bobcat, NOT a show car! SAVE YOUR COLOR SWATCHES!!!! There ya' go - three QUARTS of Bobcat-color paint for around $30!!

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

STAY AWAY FROM BOBCAT DEALERS!!!! Bobcat's paint must have gold in it because they want $13 plus tax for ONE spray can!!! Here's what ya' do - Go buy your last can spray paint from the Bobcat dealer - orange, gray and white. Then spray some of each on a suitable sample - a piece of sheet metal will do. Take the color swatches to your local Lowes, Home Depot or Menards store and tell the paint guys you want to buy some "equipment" paint. Valspar is one seller of it and I think they can even mix Rustoleum for you too. If you buy Valspar be sure to buy their harder or it will take forever to dry! Some places can even put the paint in spray cans if you want that, but you can buy a decent spray gun from Harbor Freight for about $25.00 - or you can brush or roll it on. It's a Bobcat, NOT a show car! SAVE YOUR COLOR SWATCHES!!!! There ya' go - three QUARTS of Bobcat-color paint for around $30!!
Now that sounds very logical. I will do that when I re-paint the one machine that looks like complete hell.

melli

No color samples needed. OSHA white, Kubota orange and Charcoal black are the colors you need.
How about some cross reference paint names/codes? Although not a perfect match, it is close enough for me: Rust-oleum - Universal - Metallic Paint and Primer - Carbon Mist (slightly shinier than the Bobcat Charcoal). 264656 is the paint code on can. What I'd like to know, is an approximation of the Kubota engine colour? It is a green-blue colour and even Bobcat doesn't have it at their inflated prices. https://www.flickr.com/photos/90546471@N04/8223631085/in/photostream/

Tazza

Staff member
How about some cross reference paint names/codes? Although not a perfect match, it is close enough for me: Rust-oleum - Universal - Metallic Paint and Primer - Carbon Mist (slightly shinier than the Bobcat Charcoal). 264656 is the paint code on can. What I'd like to know, is an approximation of the Kubota engine colour? It is a green-blue colour and even Bobcat doesn't have it at their inflated prices. https://www.flickr.com/photos/90546471@N04/8223631085/in/photostream/
I think Kubota dealers will sell rattle cans of this colour, i got my last lot matched at my local paint house. He just tipped pigments in till it was close. Not exact, but looked great when the engine was given a coat.

melli

I think Kubota dealers will sell rattle cans of this colour, i got my last lot matched at my local paint house. He just tipped pigments in till it was close. Not exact, but looked great when the engine was given a coat.
My local paint shop wants $30 per rattling can! I was just looking for some common off-the-shelf paint I can buy from a big box store. I guess I should give Kubota a call, wherever they may be...the problem for me is that I am a day trip and ferry ride to anywhere useful.

rodbuilder

I rehab a LOT of bobcats and gave up on making the guy at out Farm and Fleet or Menards try to mix up a white color for a Bobcat because it is SO close to the common, Rustoleum white, or, better yet, the Valspar white that you can add their hardener to. Bobcat made the ignorant decision to powdercoat their machines, (correct me Tazza) I think in about 1995 or so - which was THE dumbest thing any equipment mfg ever did because it peels off like plastic after it gets chipped and is IMPOSSIBLE to remove with a sandblaster. A single can of spray paint from Bobcat is a whopping $13 plus tax!!! So what i did several years ago was to save a sample of the Bobcat orange and made the gray, using a quart of white Walspar and added some black to match a Bobcat's radiator cover!! I put both color samples on a paint stir-stick and take it to wherever I want to make my colors for me! But, again, don't mess with mixing the white, because it's REALLY close to the "white" from Rustoleum, or Valspar.

Tazza

Staff member
I rehab a LOT of bobcats and gave up on making the guy at out Farm and Fleet or Menards try to mix up a white color for a Bobcat because it is SO close to the common, Rustoleum white, or, better yet, the Valspar white that you can add their hardener to. Bobcat made the ignorant decision to powdercoat their machines, (correct me Tazza) I think in about 1995 or so - which was THE dumbest thing any equipment mfg ever did because it peels off like plastic after it gets chipped and is IMPOSSIBLE to remove with a sandblaster. A single can of spray paint from Bobcat is a whopping $13 plus tax!!! So what i did several years ago was to save a sample of the Bobcat orange and made the gray, using a quart of white Walspar and added some black to match a Bobcat's radiator cover!! I put both color samples on a paint stir-stick and take it to wherever I want to make my colors for me! But, again, don't mess with mixing the white, because it's REALLY close to the "white" from Rustoleum, or Valspar.
$13 per can plus tax? it's almost $30 plus tax here....
Thankfully i haven't had to blast a powder coated machine, but i do agree that any rust gives a blister under the paint that just snaps off
I like your way of matching colours with a sample stick.
I have not touched up any paint on a machine, only ever a full re-spray so i didn't need to match colours.