Hyster 30, Vintage Unit Value?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Acj2001

Does anyone know the value of these units? I am looking at an old Hyster forklift. I think it has a 4 cylinder continental propane engine. I am debating trying to purchase for my home shop. It appears from the pictures to be a smaller unit. Which works perfectly for my small garage. Thanks in advance for the help / info. *Still working on how to add the picture

flyerdan

It's hard to get a value on equipment like this, a lot depends on location and demand. Since most are used for business and industry, reliability is at a premium and these older machines aren't even considered. Since there isn't as much of a home market for these, prices tend to be low, unfortunately when one is looking for one the best deals seem to be on the other side of the country, and they are few and far between, which tends to increase their value a bit.
I have a Hyster H50H that I got from work for $500. They were going to send it off to the auction, so I saved them the trouble of fixing some things and sending it off. It has the G193 Continental and manual hi-lo range transmission. One weak cylinder that burns oil, steering box is worn so it wants to groundloop, and the clutch is getting iffy, but it sure is handy to have around.

text

Posting pics is difficult to impossible, depending on which browser you're using. If you can host it somewhere and just drop the text of the location, as long as it ends in .jpg, one of us can sort the code and make it show. There is the option to upload photos to an album here, if you don't already have a non-photobucket site to put them. That's where my forklift pic is.

Tazza

Staff member
It's hard to get a value on equipment like this, a lot depends on location and demand. Since most are used for business and industry, reliability is at a premium and these older machines aren't even considered. Since there isn't as much of a home market for these, prices tend to be low, unfortunately when one is looking for one the best deals seem to be on the other side of the country, and they are few and far between, which tends to increase their value a bit.
I have a Hyster H50H that I got from work for $500. They were going to send it off to the auction, so I saved them the trouble of fixing some things and sending it off. It has the G193 Continental and manual hi-lo range transmission. One weak cylinder that burns oil, steering box is worn so it wants to groundloop, and the clutch is getting iffy, but it sure is handy to have around.

Posting pics is difficult to impossible, depending on which browser you're using. If you can host it somewhere and just drop the text of the location, as long as it ends in .jpg, one of us can sort the code and make it show. There is the option to upload photos to an album here, if you don't already have a non-photobucket site to put them. That's where my forklift pic is.
I agree that condition and demand is what drives the price.
The only way i can think of getting an idea is to see what other models are going for with the same lifting capacity, different brands will have different value, but it's a good starting point. See if you can find others with the same lifting capacity and then look at ago and hours. Most people do the same with skid steers, different brands, but in the end, they all do the same job.
Flyerdan - nice score. Even though it's not perfect, as long as it does the job, you know the little things that are not right, especially to keep an eye on engine oil levels.

flyerdan

I agree that condition and demand is what drives the price.
The only way i can think of getting an idea is to see what other models are going for with the same lifting capacity, different brands will have different value, but it's a good starting point. See if you can find others with the same lifting capacity and then look at ago and hours. Most people do the same with skid steers, different brands, but in the end, they all do the same job.
Flyerdan - nice score. Even though it's not perfect, as long as it does the job, you know the little things that are not right, especially to keep an eye on engine oil levels.
Finding similar models for comparison can be difficult with these older ones - Machinery Trader and Iron Planet don't generally list stuff that isn't geared toward the commercial user. Probably try a global craigslist search or Google xxxx for sale.
The H30 would be a 3000 pound capacity, so it would be two sizes below mine. They could be a bit more desirable as they would fit in a garage and be better in the close quarters that most home environments would be. Plus they'd be easier to get unstuck; I stuck mine in the yard when it hadn't dried up quite enough yet. A 9200 pound fork doesn't give up being stuck easily, and when it does the results aren't pretty.
I did manage to make a set of 8 foot fork extensions that are great for handling oversize stuff like pickup canopies and picking up cars, etc. I also made a man basket out of stuff I had laying around, so that increased its versatility even more.

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

Finding similar models for comparison can be difficult with these older ones - Machinery Trader and Iron Planet don't generally list stuff that isn't geared toward the commercial user. Probably try a global craigslist search or Google xxxx for sale.
The H30 would be a 3000 pound capacity, so it would be two sizes below mine. They could be a bit more desirable as they would fit in a garage and be better in the close quarters that most home environments would be. Plus they'd be easier to get unstuck; I stuck mine in the yard when it hadn't dried up quite enough yet. A 9200 pound fork doesn't give up being stuck easily, and when it does the results aren't pretty.
I did manage to make a set of 8 foot fork extensions that are great for handling oversize stuff like pickup canopies and picking up cars, etc. I also made a man basket out of stuff I had laying around, so that increased its versatility even more.
@ Flyerdan
Thank you for the information! Your model looks, at least general design / paint scheme, identical to the unit I purchased. It was a local unit for sale under similar conditions. A factory maintenance truck someone saved from the scrap pile or auction block. Mine off course is a smaller unit. I'll try to add a picture.
Do you know where the trans mission oil fill is located? I found the dipstick in between the mast and the front of the body. My quick look didn't reveal a filler cap. What type of ATF?
Mine came with homemade off road pneumatic tires for the drive wheels. I don't know how I feel about them yet. Supposedly it will make the unit gravely driveway friendly, but I don't know if I want to test that theory yet. A stuck fork truck sounds like a major PIA.
All comments / information are appreciated. Thank you everyone ????. If you are interested in following along on the repair process follow along at my YouTube channel. I also post intermediate video updates on Instagram / Facebook.
You Tube Channel:
Instagram (has a couple pictures):
Facebook Page:
***Still struggling to insert a picture. Is it possible on mobile devices? Ideas?? AI aso do not know how to add paragraph breaks. It's all clumped together as one blob. Rookie***

flyerdan

@ Flyerdan
Thank you for the information! Your model looks, at least general design / paint scheme, identical to the unit I purchased. It was a local unit for sale under similar conditions. A factory maintenance truck someone saved from the scrap pile or auction block. Mine off course is a smaller unit. I'll try to add a picture.
Do you know where the trans mission oil fill is located? I found the dipstick in between the mast and the front of the body. My quick look didn't reveal a filler cap. What type of ATF?
Mine came with homemade off road pneumatic tires for the drive wheels. I don't know how I feel about them yet. Supposedly it will make the unit gravely driveway friendly, but I don't know if I want to test that theory yet. A stuck fork truck sounds like a major PIA.
All comments / information are appreciated. Thank you everyone ????. If you are interested in following along on the repair process follow along at my YouTube channel. I also post intermediate video updates on Instagram / Facebook.
You Tube Channel:
Instagram (has a couple pictures):
Facebook Page:
***Still struggling to insert a picture. Is it possible on mobile devices? Ideas?? AI aso do not know how to add paragraph breaks. It's all clumped together as one blob. Rookie***
I'm not sure where the trans filler is, I take it you have the monotrol automatic? I see that you also have a side shift, that's something that I sorely miss on mine.
Those tires don't look like they'll work; they would have to fit outside of the wells because they're too big, and that would throw the geometry off so the forks won't reach the ground. The tips will probably be 6-8" up so you can't get under a pallet.
I went through and put in line feeds where you intended them and parsed the links; can't figure out yet how to get an IG or other photo that doesn't have a link that ends in .jpg to work. Any formatting has to be hand coded (W10-latest Firefox) so I have no idea what kind of horrors a mobile device might present.

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

I'm not sure where the trans filler is, I take it you have the monotrol automatic? I see that you also have a side shift, that's something that I sorely miss on mine.
Those tires don't look like they'll work; they would have to fit outside of the wells because they're too big, and that would throw the geometry off so the forks won't reach the ground. The tips will probably be 6-8" up so you can't get under a pallet.
I went through and put in line feeds where you intended them and parsed the links; can't figure out yet how to get an IG or other photo that doesn't have a link that ends in .jpg to work. Any formatting has to be hand coded (W10-latest Firefox) so I have no idea what kind of horrors a mobile device might present.
Yes, I believe it is an automatic. I am excited to have side shift. Most smaller units I see up for sale do not have this feature. I think it will be helpful stowing items in my newly acquired pallet rack. I think I might have to shoot video of these custom tires. They are homemade and extend outside the normal wheel envelope. A inverted custom made bud wheel. Any idea why I cannot add pictures; even when using a PC? I tried switching my profile preference to HTML, but that just makes the text box void on my screen. I cannot even select the box to insert text when 'HTML' setting is selected. Thank You for fixing my previous post :)

flyerdan

Yes, I believe it is an automatic. I am excited to have side shift. Most smaller units I see up for sale do not have this feature. I think it will be helpful stowing items in my newly acquired pallet rack. I think I might have to shoot video of these custom tires. They are homemade and extend outside the normal wheel envelope. A inverted custom made bud wheel. Any idea why I cannot add pictures; even when using a PC? I tried switching my profile preference to HTML, but that just makes the text box void on my screen. I cannot even select the box to insert text when 'HTML' setting is selected. Thank You for fixing my previous post :)
To get the text box active you need to hit reply, then preview, then back to edit mode, that will allow you into the box. I think it was optimized for IE5 or something, I know it doesn't like firefox and all I get is a blank area with no Dreamweaver type whiz--bang WYSIWYG shortcut buttons across the top. Pics have to be hosted somewhere on the web (my forklift pic is from an album here).
If you have the big brake pedal that rocks side to side for forward and reverse, that's the automatic. Manual will have a clutch and two levers on the left of the column: forward-reverse and hi-low range.
One thing that you'll want to do if it doesn't already have it is to drill a hole in a fork tip for a trailer ball. They are great for moving trailers, and a 3/4" hole saw will go through the tip easy enough and won't compromise anything. I'm sure the fork makers would say not to, but it's pretty much industry standard for anyone who has lift trucks and trailers on the same lot.

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

To get the text box active you need to hit reply, then preview, then back to edit mode, that will allow you into the box. I think it was optimized for IE5 or something, I know it doesn't like firefox and all I get is a blank area with no Dreamweaver type whiz--bang WYSIWYG shortcut buttons across the top. Pics have to be hosted somewhere on the web (my forklift pic is from an album here).
If you have the big brake pedal that rocks side to side for forward and reverse, that's the automatic. Manual will have a clutch and two levers on the left of the column: forward-reverse and hi-low range.
One thing that you'll want to do if it doesn't already have it is to drill a hole in a fork tip for a trailer ball. They are great for moving trailers, and a 3/4" hole saw will go through the tip easy enough and won't compromise anything. I'm sure the fork makers would say not to, but it's pretty much industry standard for anyone who has lift trucks and trailers on the same lot.
Weird. I tried editing this one in HTML format. You nailed it the trick was to preview and then hit the back to edit button. I see says the blind man as he picks up the hammer and the saw. This forum has a few tricks to learn. I think I will let my pictures live on other platforms. Uploading to a host seems like a lot of extra work. The forklift has two pedals, but they are on a common shaft. One has a dog in a slot which allows it to move a small degree in relation to the brake pedal. The only direction control is a small selector knob on the column. It switches a solenoid I believe. I agree a trailer ball on the forks would be really handy! Thanks,

flyerdan

Weird. I tried editing this one in HTML format. You nailed it the trick was to preview and then hit the back to edit button. I see says the blind man as he picks up the hammer and the saw. This forum has a few tricks to learn. I think I will let my pictures live on other platforms. Uploading to a host seems like a lot of extra work. The forklift has two pedals, but they are on a common shaft. One has a dog in a slot which allows it to move a small degree in relation to the brake pedal. The only direction control is a small selector knob on the column. It switches a solenoid I believe. I agree a trailer ball on the forks would be really handy! Thanks,
The pedal on the right should be an inching brake, it will disengage the drive and apply a little brake in a very short range; that's handy if you're at the top of the mast putting a pallet on a rack and need to fuss it into position. It allows smoother motion without the abruptness that can cause a sway. Once you get the hang of it you'll use it a lot.
Regardless of one's experience, I think that this video, Forklift Driver Klause has a lot to offer. It details what might happen if you do the things they say not to. I think it should be part of a training program, but I'm a wrong'un.

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

The pedal on the right should be an inching brake, it will disengage the drive and apply a little brake in a very short range; that's handy if you're at the top of the mast putting a pallet on a rack and need to fuss it into position. It allows smoother motion without the abruptness that can cause a sway. Once you get the hang of it you'll use it a lot.
Regardless of one's experience, I think that this video, Forklift Driver Klause has a lot to offer. It details what might happen if you do the things they say not to. I think it should be part of a training program, but I'm a wrong'un.
My post on Instagram of inappropriate forklift operation: Wrong'Un Forklift Operation Believe it our not I was a licensed forklift driver at one point in time. I think it expired in 2014. The safety course required to obtain our certified license showed a truck diver on security camera footage getting mowed down. It was gruesome and makes you leery of all forklift operators. My forklift is unsafe it its current condition. Hopefully with some repairs she will be considered in good working order. Now it has zero (kind of a little) brakes, one might be sticky and some hydraulic leaks. Definitely a 'Chad' operator last night. I needed to move enough stuff so I can actually work on it. Hope to take the wheel off and investigate the leaky / partially sticky drums. Does anyone know if you can 'recondition' the solid rubber tires by grooving them for more traction?

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

My post on Instagram of inappropriate forklift operation: Wrong'Un Forklift Operation Believe it our not I was a licensed forklift driver at one point in time. I think it expired in 2014. The safety course required to obtain our certified license showed a truck diver on security camera footage getting mowed down. It was gruesome and makes you leery of all forklift operators. My forklift is unsafe it its current condition. Hopefully with some repairs she will be considered in good working order. Now it has zero (kind of a little) brakes, one might be sticky and some hydraulic leaks. Definitely a 'Chad' operator last night. I needed to move enough stuff so I can actually work on it. Hope to take the wheel off and investigate the leaky / partially sticky drums. Does anyone know if you can 'recondition' the solid rubber tires by grooving them for more traction?
I see a inching brake. Does anyone have information or manuals on how to adjust the linkages on the inching brake / disengagement pedals? The lift works great in forward, but was struggling in reverse. I made a few adjustments and it now works 'better' in reverse. Check out the first video on the lift at HYSTER 30 FORKLIFT; REPAIR SERIES (INTRO) . It will be a while before I can really tear into this project. Now I am just collecting information. So far I have not found much detail wise on repair / maintenance procedures for this old girl. First order of business is to collect information, collect some parts and tear into it. I know it needs new wheel cylinders, some hydraulic lines and a couple cylinder rebuilds.

flyerdan

I see a inching brake. Does anyone have information or manuals on how to adjust the linkages on the inching brake / disengagement pedals? The lift works great in forward, but was struggling in reverse. I made a few adjustments and it now works 'better' in reverse. Check out the first video on the lift at HYSTER 30 FORKLIFT; REPAIR SERIES (INTRO) . It will be a while before I can really tear into this project. Now I am just collecting information. So far I have not found much detail wise on repair / maintenance procedures for this old girl. First order of business is to collect information, collect some parts and tear into it. I know it needs new wheel cylinders, some hydraulic lines and a couple cylinder rebuilds.
Info on Hysters is pretty difficult to find, fortunately I had a forum friend in England who worked nights at Barlow's Tractor and he managed to find a parts book for the H30-60H series. Through the military manual sites and a few other places, I've accumulated some material relating to them, and the Continental engines.
Shoot me an email and I'll get you some .pdfs.

OP
OP
A

Acj2001

Info on Hysters is pretty difficult to find, fortunately I had a forum friend in England who worked nights at Barlow's Tractor and he managed to find a parts book for the H30-60H series. Through the military manual sites and a few other places, I've accumulated some material relating to them, and the Continental engines.
Shoot me an email and I'll get you some .pdfs.
That would be awesome! ???? I sent an email to your Comcast account. It shares the same Flat Thunder branding as my youtube. Cheers,