Hydraulic Temps - 331D

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

melli

I was plugging on my new very sweet 5 acre lot, when I noticed everything seemed toasty. Up here in the great white north, it was a balmy 8C, but after just 4 hours of tree felling, crunching, and rootball digging, the engine cowl was warm, and the hydraulic manifold seemed awfully warm...too hot to keep on hand on it for more than 2 sec. Even the boom ram was warm. I note the guage panel should tell me if things get too hot? Or is it a trouble code that should alert me? The engine temp guage stayed at 1/3rd. Maybe I worry too much...I need Bobby to last me a while before major repairs...I will baby him, but I wish there was a way to install a temp gauage for the hydraulics, so I can see what is happening. Has anyone done this? I recall renting a 331 a few years ago and it shut down when things got hot, but the ambient temps were near 30C at the time... thx

Tazza

Staff member
I believe the hydraulic oil should still be safe when running up to about 70c, at that temperature you can't keep your hand on it or you will get burnt. From what you describe, i doubt it was that hot.
Its still not a bad idea to check your oil cooler, make sure its free of dirt/grease so you know its working as it should. There should be a warning light if it was to get too hot.

7LBSSMALLIE

I believe the hydraulic oil should still be safe when running up to about 70c, at that temperature you can't keep your hand on it or you will get burnt. From what you describe, i doubt it was that hot.
Its still not a bad idea to check your oil cooler, make sure its free of dirt/grease so you know its working as it should. There should be a warning light if it was to get too hot.
het tazz ill check temp tables in am got a s/n first 5 .will do it. the sepration of cooler and raditor cleaning is listed as simble its not its a pain, but needs done occasionaly.shoot it with an inferred to get ecact temp.

7LBSSMALLIE

het tazz ill check temp tables in am got a s/n first 5 .will do it. the sepration of cooler and raditor cleaning is listed as simble its not its a pain, but needs done occasionaly.shoot it with an inferred to get ecact temp.
didnt mean to blow you off had a busy day, finished cab heat and air/deluxe cab on a 864 witht 5000 hrs .youre tax dollars at work.knuff said. will try to rember to look up temp tables i am.

7LBSSMALLIE

didnt mean to blow you off had a busy day, finished cab heat and air/deluxe cab on a 864 witht 5000 hrs .youre tax dollars at work.knuff said. will try to rember to look up temp tables i am.
forgot again .if issue hound me if not ,keep on keepin on.

Tazza

Staff member
forgot again .if issue hound me if not ,keep on keepin on.
hehe, its almost like you work for a living :)
It will be good info to know, there have been a few people curious about how hot is too hot in their hydraulic system. I guess it has to do with the oil type used as well.

OP
OP
M

melli

hehe, its almost like you work for a living :)
It will be good info to know, there have been a few people curious about how hot is too hot in their hydraulic system. I guess it has to do with the oil type used as well.
Thanks guys...I should get a infrared thermo...neeed another tool...lol My Bobby is clean under the cowl and I just put a fresh pail of oil in him. I vaguely remember from Bobtheoilguy that 170F or 77C is the limit of where you want your hydra oil temp. You can go over, but only for a short time (30min). Anything over 200F and your seals etc. are toast... I just picked through Bob's site and cannot find the info, although I did find 'unsubstatiated' that Bobcat Hydraulic oil is similar to Mobil DTE 10 Excel 46

7LBSSMALLIE

Thanks guys...I should get a infrared thermo...neeed another tool...lol My Bobby is clean under the cowl and I just put a fresh pail of oil in him. I vaguely remember from Bobtheoilguy that 170F or 77C is the limit of where you want your hydra oil temp. You can go over, but only for a short time (30min). Anything over 200F and your seals etc. are toast... I just picked through Bob's site and cannot find the info, although I did find 'unsubstatiated' that Bobcat Hydraulic oil is similar to Mobil DTE 10 Excel 46
still busy will try to rember in am but just a note i have had exv come in with aftermarket oil, black and smell burnt,than they get the bob marley thing (leaky leaky boom boom down) repair of hyd componets is costly replacement even worse, good oil doesnt evap, unless you got leaks,should be good for a 1000. hrs a justfiably expense, yea it is not much more, and its what 10 gal,and rember the case drain filter.90% of ex issues i see can be attritubed to lack of maint,as to why no clue, folks got no problem sevricing skids but ex get neglected,

OP
OP
M

melli

Got myself an infrared temp gun... In Farenheit I get the following: ~ 165 for hyd pump...measure same at filter in hyd compartment (highest was 175) ~ 230 for oil pan on motor (highest recording, usually no higher than 210-220) ~ 185 for rad I guess all is well then...with all the bloody metal surrounding the engine and hyd, I do worry about overheating... Has anyone done any mods to increase airflow through these tanks?

Bobcatdan

Got myself an infrared temp gun... In Farenheit I get the following: ~ 165 for hyd pump...measure same at filter in hyd compartment (highest was 175) ~ 230 for oil pan on motor (highest recording, usually no higher than 210-220) ~ 185 for rad I guess all is well then...with all the bloody metal surrounding the engine and hyd, I do worry about overheating... Has anyone done any mods to increase airflow through these tanks?
Machine should have a hyd temp sensor, it it don't sound I wouldn't worry. Hydraulics do warm up when you use them. Not uncommon at all for stuff to get to hot touch. This is comming from a road tech who has to work on stuff the moument the operator stops.

OP
OP
M

melli

Machine should have a hyd temp sensor, it it don't sound I wouldn't worry. Hydraulics do warm up when you use them. Not uncommon at all for stuff to get to hot touch. This is comming from a road tech who has to work on stuff the moument the operator stops.
I was still consumed with the heat my Bobby produces after a few hours of work, so I poked around. No idea why I didn't see it before, but the rad was caked between the hydraulic rad...hard to see, as most of the crud was hiding behind the support brackets. It was a combination of fine dirt and organic matter. The fan side of rad was spotless, but I suspect wherever the airflow decreases, that is where the crap settles. I read the manual, and not wanting to take a day removing condensor coils CC and hydraulic rad HR to access the engine rad ER, I just loosened the four support bolts that the CC and HR piggyback onto the ER. It allowed me to separate the lot enough to get an air hose in there to blow the crap out...dusty...suggest wearing a mask. Now, after a hard few hours of stump digging, the temps are all 10 degrees cooler than normal...

OP
OP
M

melli

I was still consumed with the heat my Bobby produces after a few hours of work, so I poked around. No idea why I didn't see it before, but the rad was caked between the hydraulic rad...hard to see, as most of the crud was hiding behind the support brackets. It was a combination of fine dirt and organic matter. The fan side of rad was spotless, but I suspect wherever the airflow decreases, that is where the crap settles. I read the manual, and not wanting to take a day removing condensor coils CC and hydraulic rad HR to access the engine rad ER, I just loosened the four support bolts that the CC and HR piggyback onto the ER. It allowed me to separate the lot enough to get an air hose in there to blow the crap out...dusty...suggest wearing a mask. Now, after a hard few hours of stump digging, the temps are all 10 degrees cooler than normal...
Is there anybody out there who has IR'd their machine to get temps? Being a newbie with diesels and hydraulics, I got some high temps on my baby a week ago in 22C ambient temps. 240F at oil pan 180F at Hydraulic Pump 200F at Rad 210F at Oil Filter (engine) I needlessly change the oil on Bobby, so lack of maintenance cannot be the issue...but that oil pan temp seems roasty for up here? Even the hydraulic temp seems a tad high...I wasn't flogging bobby either... I wonder for folks down south, where ambient temps are silly, like 30C on a cool day, what sort of temps they get?

OP
OP
M

melli

Is there anybody out there who has IR'd their machine to get temps? Being a newbie with diesels and hydraulics, I got some high temps on my baby a week ago in 22C ambient temps. 240F at oil pan 180F at Hydraulic Pump 200F at Rad 210F at Oil Filter (engine) I needlessly change the oil on Bobby, so lack of maintenance cannot be the issue...but that oil pan temp seems roasty for up here? Even the hydraulic temp seems a tad high...I wasn't flogging bobby either... I wonder for folks down south, where ambient temps are silly, like 30C on a cool day, what sort of temps they get?
Quick update: Although I washed and sprayed the rads many times it appears I did a crappy job. I didn't take out all the rads (3), but I removed all the support bolts and separated them as best I could. It appears fine dust was caked around the outside edge of engine rad and inside edge of hyd rad. Got lots of water, degreaser and med-soft bristle brush to get out all the caked dirt. Funny thing was it all looked clean from outside and I could see light between all rads. Once done, the temps are all much lower, especially engine temps. I hope I didn't screw things up running so hot....Now that it is cold again up here, my baby seems to run cold haha

mahans7

Quick update: Although I washed and sprayed the rads many times it appears I did a crappy job. I didn't take out all the rads (3), but I removed all the support bolts and separated them as best I could. It appears fine dust was caked around the outside edge of engine rad and inside edge of hyd rad. Got lots of water, degreaser and med-soft bristle brush to get out all the caked dirt. Funny thing was it all looked clean from outside and I could see light between all rads. Once done, the temps are all much lower, especially engine temps. I hope I didn't screw things up running so hot....Now that it is cold again up here, my baby seems to run cold haha
Glad the temps are now down and the radiators are declared clean. I'm curious, what kind of temps are you getting now?

OP
OP
M

melli

Glad the temps are now down and the radiators are declared clean. I'm curious, what kind of temps are you getting now?
It has cooled down up here, so I don't have summer time engine temps... After a few hours of excavating (aka screwing around...lol), I had 155 at main hyd pump, 200 at engine block, 175 at rad.... Very agreeable numbers for me.

mahans7

It has cooled down up here, so I don't have summer time engine temps... After a few hours of excavating (aka screwing around...lol), I had 155 at main hyd pump, 200 at engine block, 175 at rad.... Very agreeable numbers for me.
That's amazing how much just cleaning the radiators reduced the temps. I'll be replacing the muffler on my 743 soon and I guess I'll clean my radiators too. Thanks.