Hydraulic oil level ???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Loosenuts

This might sound like a dumb question.....but when I check the hyd. oil level on my S185 when its cold, it is in the middle of the sight glass on the side of the machine. Question is........is it normal for the entire sight glass to be full after I have used the machine. I have noticed this even after lightly working the machine. Is it possiby foaming?? how do I check for that?

Kermode

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anywhere in the glass or even a little above or below is good. Lift the cab and look in the top of your hyd tank if you are really concerned. Why do you think your hyd oil is foaming anyway?

OP
OP
L

Loosenuts

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anywhere in the glass or even a little above or below is good. Lift the cab and look in the top of your hyd tank if you are really concerned. Why do you think your hyd oil is foaming anyway?
Not really sure...just a thought because it's level goes up.

Tazza

Staff member
Not really sure...just a thought because it's level goes up.
If it was foaming, you should see little bubbles in the sight glass. It could change height depending on how warm the oil is, the hotter it is, the more space it will take up from expansion (very slight changes but still). The main one would be ram stick location. Are the hydraulic ram sticks in the same place as when you checked it first? lift arms down and the bucket too, or is it curled up slighty? As the rod is retracted it will displace more oil than if it was fully extended.

OP
OP
L

Loosenuts

If it was foaming, you should see little bubbles in the sight glass. It could change height depending on how warm the oil is, the hotter it is, the more space it will take up from expansion (very slight changes but still). The main one would be ram stick location. Are the hydraulic ram sticks in the same place as when you checked it first? lift arms down and the bucket too, or is it curled up slighty? As the rod is retracted it will displace more oil than if it was fully extended.
The lift arms and bucket were down. I dont see any bubbles in the sight glass, just noticed that when cold the level is half, and when warm it goes to completely full.