Hydraulic Oil Level

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

I have a T200 and I am checking the hydraulic oil level. There is a little red ball in a sight glass. The red ball is at the bottom of the sight glass. I added a gallon and there was no change in the ball's position. I assume that that ball should be seen floating in the middle of the sight glass. Is that correct? The loader is working fine and the hydraulic oil temp is fine.

Tazza

Staff member
On level ground, the ball should indeed be floating. Sounds like you have an oil leak if it took so much oil and still can't be seen in the site glass....
Can you see oil in there? just wondering if the ball could be stuck somehow.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

On level ground, the ball should indeed be floating. Sounds like you have an oil leak if it took so much oil and still can't be seen in the site glass....
Can you see oil in there? just wondering if the ball could be stuck somehow.
I might very well have a leak, but I don't see any drips or puddles where I park. I park on dirt, but I've seen puddles with my other machines. I don't think there is oil in the sight glass. I will carefully add another gallon to see if the ball moves. Thanks.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

I might very well have a leak, but I don't see any drips or puddles where I park. I park on dirt, but I've seen puddles with my other machines. I don't think there is oil in the sight glass. I will carefully add another gallon to see if the ball moves. Thanks.
I added a little more oil and the ball is now floating high in the window. I will have to watch it. Don't see anything obvious.

skidsteer.ca

I added a little more oil and the ball is now floating high in the window. I will have to watch it. Don't see anything obvious.
If you hook to a new attachment (often no oil inside them) or blow a hose it is not uncommon for a machine to be more then a gallon low. If it has not been check for along while it could also slowly loose that much oil.
I would not worry if your not seeing oil underneath, just check it more often.
Ken

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

If you hook to a new attachment (often no oil inside them) or blow a hose it is not uncommon for a machine to be more then a gallon low. If it has not been check for along while it could also slowly loose that much oil.
I would not worry if your not seeing oil underneath, just check it more often.
Ken
Thanks. I ran for a couple of hours today. I can see the oil level in the sight glass. It's about half way up. The ball is on the bottom. So I think something's up with the ball. It gets stuck near the bottom, or has given up on the idea of floating.

bobbie-g

Thanks. I ran for a couple of hours today. I can see the oil level in the sight glass. It's about half way up. The ball is on the bottom. So I think something's up with the ball. It gets stuck near the bottom, or has given up on the idea of floating.
Not a big fan of that floating pith ball, myself. Check it out by just driving up on a side slope with the sight window low and you should see the window fill up completely. Put the other side of the machine up to see the window empty. That will show you if the ball is stuck or not. :) ---RC

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

Not a big fan of that floating pith ball, myself. Check it out by just driving up on a side slope with the sight window low and you should see the window fill up completely. Put the other side of the machine up to see the window empty. That will show you if the ball is stuck or not. :) ---RC
I have a few more questions. It is clear I have a leak, and I am trying to determine the rate. 1. What is the total capacity of a T-200? 2. What happens when the reservoir is filled beyond its capacity? I have added oil, and I think I added way too much. I think it drained out and collected in the pan, and when I park it nose up, the collected oil drains out of the pan. Since I have over-filled, and since the excess drains out, I don't know how much has really leaked out. I have raised the cab and run the machine. It's wet in there, but I don't see any squirts or drips.

skidsteer.ca

I have a few more questions. It is clear I have a leak, and I am trying to determine the rate. 1. What is the total capacity of a T-200? 2. What happens when the reservoir is filled beyond its capacity? I have added oil, and I think I added way too much. I think it drained out and collected in the pan, and when I park it nose up, the collected oil drains out of the pan. Since I have over-filled, and since the excess drains out, I don't know how much has really leaked out. I have raised the cab and run the machine. It's wet in there, but I don't see any squirts or drips.
You should be able to see where it is getting out of the reservoir. Can you pressure wash under the cab to clean it up?

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

You should be able to see where it is getting out of the reservoir. Can you pressure wash under the cab to clean it up?
I can get in there and pressure wash. I was going to do that anyway, when it was covered with dust. Now the dust is gone, and replaced by oil. As I wrote, I cautiously ran it a little with the cab raised to see if I could see where the oil was coming from, and I couldn't. If it's not really much of a leak, I might just keep an eye on it for while, since I need the machine in the next two weeks. After that, I can spend more time diagnosing the problem. Another question on this machine, will I get a code or shutdown if the oil gets too low? I have the electronic display, and I know I get a low oil pressure alarm. I set the display to vitals, and watch the charge pressure and the hydraulic oil temp, and they are always fine. What damage will I do if it gets too low?

skidsteer.ca

I can get in there and pressure wash. I was going to do that anyway, when it was covered with dust. Now the dust is gone, and replaced by oil. As I wrote, I cautiously ran it a little with the cab raised to see if I could see where the oil was coming from, and I couldn't. If it's not really much of a leak, I might just keep an eye on it for while, since I need the machine in the next two weeks. After that, I can spend more time diagnosing the problem. Another question on this machine, will I get a code or shutdown if the oil gets too low? I have the electronic display, and I know I get a low oil pressure alarm. I set the display to vitals, and watch the charge pressure and the hydraulic oil temp, and they are always fine. What damage will I do if it gets too low?
If you monitor the site glass there should be no reason for it to get too low. You can likely be 2 gallons below that and not hurt a thing.
Or you could plug in to the front quick couplers and pump some extra out until the site glass shows it at the correct level.
B4 you wash it look carefully for areas where the oil has washed the dirt away,
If you see nothing , clean it up, get the level right and watch the site glass to see if it is really going down. Be sure it is level when you check it
Ken

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

If you monitor the site glass there should be no reason for it to get too low. You can likely be 2 gallons below that and not hurt a thing.
Or you could plug in to the front quick couplers and pump some extra out until the site glass shows it at the correct level.
B4 you wash it look carefully for areas where the oil has washed the dirt away,
If you see nothing , clean it up, get the level right and watch the site glass to see if it is really going down. Be sure it is level when you check it
Ken
A few days ago, I lifted the cab, ran the machine and saw nothing. It was wet under there, but no definite leak Did the same thing today and saw it oozing out from one the main fittings going into the pump. Tightened it up and refilled it. So far, so good. Is the pump shock mounted, like an engine? I thought I saw the pump move a little, fore and aft. I thought it might be on rubber bushings, or similar, since it is driven by the engine. If not, it may be loose.

Tazza

Staff member
A few days ago, I lifted the cab, ran the machine and saw nothing. It was wet under there, but no definite leak Did the same thing today and saw it oozing out from one the main fittings going into the pump. Tightened it up and refilled it. So far, so good. Is the pump shock mounted, like an engine? I thought I saw the pump move a little, fore and aft. I thought it might be on rubber bushings, or similar, since it is driven by the engine. If not, it may be loose.
I don't believe it is.... Check your mounting bolts just to be sure.