Hydraulic hose fitting question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Butters

I hate to ask this, but when I got the hoses all hooked up on my grapple, the threads are leaking around the fitting going into my flat-face coupler. I didn't use any type of joint compound, because I was told not to at the hydraulic shop. I have the thing torqued pretty tight.

Tazza

Staff member
What fitting do you have? Is there a taper seat like JIC or is it a straight or parallel thread? If its just a taper or parallel thread you will need to use teflon tape to get a good seal. If its JIC it should seal its self....

OP
OP
B

Butters

What fitting do you have? Is there a taper seat like JIC or is it a straight or parallel thread? If its just a taper or parallel thread you will need to use teflon tape to get a good seal. If its JIC it should seal its self....
Thanks, it is NPT pipe thread that is leaking. I wasnt sure it was a good idea to use teflon tape on oil.

OldMachinist

I have used teflon and it worked great.
Be very careful using teflon tape on hydraulic fittings. Make sure not let any overlap the end of the fitting. One of the things the suppliers warned us about when we built machines was that the small strings of teflon tape that somtimes come off can get lodged in spools and valves causing them not to seat. Teflon pipe paste is what they recomended if we had to use anything.

OldMachinist

Be very careful using teflon tape on hydraulic fittings. Make sure not let any overlap the end of the fitting. One of the things the suppliers warned us about when we built machines was that the small strings of teflon tape that somtimes come off can get lodged in spools and valves causing them not to seat. Teflon pipe paste is what they recomended if we had to use anything.
I just uploaded the info on tightening hydraulic fittings and sealants that I have. http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/calfranch/Machine Shop/HydraulicFittings/?albumview=grid You'll see under NPTF dry seal assemby they say to use anaerobic liquid pipe sealant because teflon tape can be destructive to hydraulic components.

OP
OP
B

Butters

I just uploaded the info on tightening hydraulic fittings and sealants that I have. http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/calfranch/Machine%20Shop/HydraulicFittings/?albumview=grid You'll see under NPTF dry seal assemby they say to use anaerobic liquid pipe sealant because teflon tape can be destructive to hydraulic components.
Thank you all very much. This is great information on a question I was hesitant to ask.