Hydraulic Breaker is breaking my 873!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mtn-man

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I have a 873 with about 600 hours on it. I need to work in very rocky soil, so I got a Stanley MB5560 breaker. It is a great machine and it really does the job of breaking the rock. But the vibration is causing all kinds of hydraulic leaks. It has cracked one of the rigid aux. lines which I replaced with a flexable line and also cracked the hyd. oiler cooler which I had silver soldered. It has also loosened the hyd. oil filter (what a mess), and now it has caused a leak in a hyd. line under the pump which I don't even know how I will get to. It's driving me nuts! I need to break the rock, but it's causing so much down time I don't know what to do! Any suggestions (other than selling the breaker) would be appreciated. Thanks, Jay

StuZ

Welcome to the Forum. Look for a blown o ring in the "shaker" valve on the breaker

OP
OP
M

Mtn-man

Well, I had the breaker checked out and the nitrogen pressure was way low. Had it charged up and tested it over the weekend and it runs with much less vibration and with a huge more breaking force! I'm a happy guy! It is still under warranty and the dealer said that it should not leak in the six monthhs that I've had it, so he said that if the pressure drops in the next couple of weeks he will replace the internal seals under the warranty.

wingspar

Well, I had the breaker checked out and the nitrogen pressure was way low. Had it charged up and tested it over the weekend and it runs with much less vibration and with a huge more breaking force! I'm a happy guy! It is still under warranty and the dealer said that it should not leak in the six monthhs that I've had it, so he said that if the pressure drops in the next couple of weeks he will replace the internal seals under the warranty.
I've heard that Stanley breakers need to be recharged more often because their body is made from a casting, and not a solid chunk of forged steel. As with any breaker, try to keep "dry fires" to a minimum. It might be pressure spikes that are breaking things and not the vibration.

OP
OP
M

Mtn-man

I've heard that Stanley breakers need to be recharged more often because their body is made from a casting, and not a solid chunk of forged steel. As with any breaker, try to keep "dry fires" to a minimum. It might be pressure spikes that are breaking things and not the vibration.
wingspar, Thanks for the info. I may have to get the special pressure testing device to keep an eye on the pressure. Now I have to take it to the dealer to check the pressure which is a PITA. I'm very careful about "dry fires". I know it was vibration that was breaking things since I could see it and feel it in my butt. This changed totally after I had it recharged.