Howdy, questions on a Bobcat 742

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

justallan

Good morning and thanks for having this site.
I work on a large cattle ranch here in Montana and in trying to make an extra buck or so I have two portable bandmills and am looking at buying a 742 skidsteer.
The thing is rated at 1300 lbs. lifting capacity, my question is that if I add weights in the rear how much will it actually pick up? Can the hydraulic system hold up to a couple hundred extra pounds lifting?
Although I have used skidsteers here and there since the 80's, other than servicing and maintenance I really don't know much about them. What would you look at when checking one out to buy? The engine, pivot points, bushings, leaks and slop in rams are common to look at, but what else is advisable to pay attention to?
Thanks in advance.

Wayne440

I have a 742. The typical thing that happens is that someone tries to lift a "couple hundred" more pounds, when that doesn't break something, they go for it. Then one day- "well then 500 more probably won't hurt" and if that works, "500 more" becomes the machine's assumed capacity.

The 742 started production about 1981, and the last one made is now 30+ years old. Pushing an old machine to beyond ratings is a good way to end up buying parts and chasing leaks. My advice- if you intend to lift more than 1300 pounds, find a larger machine.

OP
OP
J

justallan

I have a 742. The typical thing that happens is that someone tries to lift a "couple hundred" more pounds, when that doesn't break something, they go for it. Then one day- "well then 500 more probably won't hurt" and if that works, "500 more" becomes the machine's assumed capacity.

The 742 started production about 1981, and the last one made is now 30+ years old. Pushing an old machine to beyond ratings is a good way to end up buying parts and chasing leaks. My advice- if you intend to lift more than 1300 pounds, find a larger machine.
DRATS! I hate the plain simple truth, but thank you. :confused: :cool:
Can you tell me what height they will lift the 1300 lbs. to, please? I need something that I can load logs onto my trailer or the mill with, so at most 4' high. I mostly only mill pine 16' and less and around here 95% of the pine is 16" or less, so just a hair over 1000 lbs.
What are the machines weak points to watch out for when going to look one over to buy, in your opinion?
On the one that I'm looking at I didn't notice the on/off switch for the front remote on the "joystick" like on the 763's, is it on the control panel? I plan to put a grapple on the bucket and guess I could put a thumb switch if I had to.
Thanks for the reply.

Wayne440

I like my 742, but for use everyday around a sawmill, I don't think it would be a good fit. Seems like there is always that one big
old log that someone drags in, and I would rather be lifting at half the machine's capacity than its full rating or more.

Here is a link to Bobcat for the specifications-- a 4 foot lift height will not be a problem.
https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/non-current-models/742

If you buy the lightest grapple out there, (say 425-450 pounds) you might be get by with 1000 pounds, but you will
still be over the 1300 pound rating. The aux. is left/right movement of the right stick. There may be a bolt locking it out.

To me the machine's weak point is the Ford engine- when they run good they are fine, when they do not they
are a pain you know where.

OP
OP
J

justallan

I like my 742, but for use everyday around a sawmill, I don't think it would be a good fit. Seems like there is always that one big
old log that someone drags in, and I would rather be lifting at half the machine's capacity than its full rating or more.

Here is a link to Bobcat for the specifications-- a 4 foot lift height will not be a problem.
https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/non-current-models/742

If you buy the lightest grapple out there, (say 425-450 pounds) you might be get by with 1000 pounds, but you will
still be over the 1300 pound rating. The aux. is left/right movement of the right stick. There may be a bolt locking it out.

To me the machine's weak point is the Ford engine- when they run good they are fine, when they do not they
are a pain you know where.
Thanks for the info Wayne.
What would you guess just your bucket weighs? I'm betting I can build some short forks with a simple grapple and not be a whole lot heavier than a standard bucket. The grapple is more for safety and not wrecking my mill more than anything.
As you can see, I'm really trying to talk myself into this. :cool:
Again, thanks for the help.

Wayne440

Thanks for the info Wayne.
What would you guess just your bucket weighs? I'm betting I can build...I'm really trying to talk myself into this..

My 60 inch bucket is maybe 250 pounds. You might be thinking along the lines I have also thought about, a set
of pallet forks with a clamping arm in the middle. It is obvious that you are going to buy the 742- go ahead.

You may find that it is too small for some of your work, but if it has made you some money, you
can buy something else. There is nothing wrong with having more than one machine. A wheel
loader with forks is handy around a mill when you need something larger.

spitzair

Hi Justallan, welcome to the forums.
I have a couple of 732s which are the forerunner to the 742, pretty much the same machine, the biggest difference is that the 742 has a tip-up cab. My dad also has a mill and we used the 732 around it for well over a decade, until in 98 he bought an 873. While the 732 did a tremendous job the extra capacity of the 873 (pretty close to double that of the 732) made handling logs and piles of finished lumber a LOT easier, but then again we were dealing with douglas fir trees several feet in diameter and over 25' long on our mill… the 732 would not lift those! A 16" pine tree 16 feet long would be no problem for it. Remember the rated operating capacity on these machines is half the tipping load so it will lift more than 1300 lbs but you have to be careful as it gets light in the rear. I find the 732 to be a very capable machine even today still, my dad still has his and I bought another for a great price 7 years ago. The simplicity of them is wonderful, no computers to go haywire on you, and the little ford engine has been very reliable. Parts are getting harder to find but they're out there if you know where to look, in fact I just did a full rebuild of one I had as a spare (made a little video about that operation here ) and was able to find everything I needed.
One thing to make absolutely sure to check the double u-joint between the engine and hydraulic pumps, they need to be greased regularly and if there's any play or looseness in them replace them. No ifs, ands or buts! We learned that the hard way! When they let go the resulting imbalance will destroy things faster than you can get the engine shut down. People just neglect them because they are a bit of a pain to get to but it's really not that bad especially with a tip-up cab as found on the 742.
All in all I really love the 732s and if you treat them kind and maintain them well they will last a very long time!
If you have any questions this forum is full of knowledgeable people who are happy to help!
Toby

OP
OP
J

justallan

My 60 inch bucket is maybe 250 pounds. You might be thinking along the lines I have also thought about, a set
of pallet forks with a clamping arm in the middle. It is obvious that you are going to buy the 742- go ahead.

You may find that it is too small for some of your work, but if it has made you some money, you
can buy something else. There is nothing wrong with having more than one machine. A wheel
loader with forks is handy around a mill when you need something larger.
I should have said right off that the on ranch that I work for we each have our own tractor to use and mine is a Massey Ferguson 6475 with a loader, so the few big logs that I come across aren't an issue. I just hate overstepping a privilege and need something that I can throw on a trailer and go fetch logs with.
In Montana any equipment is getting big money right now and $8,000 for this unfortunately looks like a decent deal, providing it can do the job.
I do plan to throw a couple logs on the trailer and see what it can lift when I go check it out tomorrow. If I like what I see and it can lift, I'll probably buy it.

OP
OP
J

justallan

Hi Justallan, welcome to the forums.
I have a couple of 732s which are the forerunner to the 742, pretty much the same machine, the biggest difference is that the 742 has a tip-up cab. My dad also has a mill and we used the 732 around it for well over a decade, until in 98 he bought an 873. While the 732 did a tremendous job the extra capacity of the 873 (pretty close to double that of the 732) made handling logs and piles of finished lumber a LOT easier, but then again we were dealing with douglas fir trees several feet in diameter and over 25' long on our mill… the 732 would not lift those! A 16" pine tree 16 feet long would be no problem for it. Remember the rated operating capacity on these machines is half the tipping load so it will lift more than 1300 lbs but you have to be careful as it gets light in the rear. I find the 732 to be a very capable machine even today still, my dad still has his and I bought another for a great price 7 years ago. The simplicity of them is wonderful, no computers to go haywire on you, and the little ford engine has been very reliable. Parts are getting harder to find but they're out there if you know where to look, in fact I just did a full rebuild of one I had as a spare (made a little video about that operation here ) and was able to find everything I needed.
One thing to make absolutely sure to check the double u-joint between the engine and hydraulic pumps, they need to be greased regularly and if there's any play or looseness in them replace them. No ifs, ands or buts! We learned that the hard way! When they let go the resulting imbalance will destroy things faster than you can get the engine shut down. People just neglect them because they are a bit of a pain to get to but it's really not that bad especially with a tip-up cab as found on the 742.
All in all I really love the 732s and if you treat them kind and maintain them well they will last a very long time!
If you have any questions this forum is full of knowledgeable people who are happy to help!
Toby

Thanks Toby
I have an EZ Boardwalk mill for mobile milling and a bigger mill that's stationary at my house.
Having a skid steer to take to jobs would be a game changer.
Right now I have 125-150 logs at the house fell green 2 months ago and hauled home by a friend and myself that should easily pay for the skid steer.
Hopefully it's what I want when I go check it out tomorrow.

wings5j

I have done a fair amount of log decking with my 742B using a forklift attachment. As was posted, if you limit the pine to a 16" diameter and 16' long you will be able to lift them fine and go to full extension on the lift cylinders.

While I have a grapple attachment for my forks, I found it easier to use the forks by themselves. The one problem you may run into is reach but with the right set up and technique you should be able to do quite a bit.

Happy logging and milling ;-)

Sczmtns

New to the forum here, but I've been working on two 742B's for a bit now.

I think it's good to know the 742B could have one of three engines. Duetz, Ford or Mitsubishi.

Mine have the Mitsubishi 4G32 and it has been tough to find parts. This engine started off on the late 70's and bobcat no longer has many parts and they don't offer any cross references that can help.

If you haven't already picked it up you might do a quick check to see what engine it has and if you can even get parts for it.

Hopefully they one you are looking at runs like a dream and none of this will matter!

Good luck!
Adam

Wayne440

...I think it's good to know the 742B could have one of three engines. Duetz, Ford or Mitsubishi...

If a "742B" has any engine other than the Mitsubishi, it has been changed after production.
The "742" was made with a Ford engine, and "741" with a Deutz.

(does anyone have a 741 for sale close to Kentucky?)

wings5j

New to the forum here, but I've been working on two 742B's for a bit now.

I think it's good to know the 742B could have one of three engines. Duetz, Ford or Mitsubishi.

Mine have the Mitsubishi 4G32 and it has been tough to find parts. This engine started off on the late 70's and bobcat no longer has many parts and they don't offer any cross references that can help.

If you haven't already picked it up you might do a quick check to see what engine it has and if you can even get parts for it.

Hopefully they one you are looking at runs like a dream and none of this will matter!

Good luck!
Adam
Adam,
What parts are you having trouble with? My dealer (Spokane, WA) has had what I have needed but also, the Mitsubishi parts can often be found at NAPA or other auto parts stores. Someone on here can give the specific model but that engine was also used in something like 70's model Dodge Lance. Anyway, good luck with yours. They are a good machine and you can work them all day on about five gallons of gas.

Sczmtns

If a "742B" has any engine other than the Mitsubishi, it has been changed after production.
The "742" was made with a Ford engine, and "741" with a Deutz.

(does anyone have a 741 for sale close to Kentucky?)
Thanks for that clarification! It had been rather confusing gathering info and then making sense of it!

I definitely got some of that wrong. Sorry for that.

From my shop manual I don't have a 742b even mentioned so I made an incorrect conclusion (not the first time, won't be the last!)

I've attached the shop manual image, that shows what you are saying and how I get confused. Was there ever a 742 with the mitsubishi engine is that the 742B?

Attachments

• 20220929_170451.jpg
    20220929_170451.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 76

Sczmtns

Adam,
What parts are you having trouble with? My dealer (Spokane, WA) has had what I have needed but also, the Mitsubishi parts can often be found at NAPA or other auto parts stores. Someone on here can give the specific model but that engine was also used in something like 70's model Dodge Lance. Anyway, good luck with yours. They are a good machine and you can work them all day on about five gallons of gas.
I haven't been able to find the exact vehicle that had that engine... I've got a ton of references but when I check the specs for the pistons for example they don't seem to match up.
I managed to find piston and ring set for the g32b engine that had the most probable fit 🤞
Currently I'm trying to find a timing belt. The one on it has no identifiers, I'll check the other one before to long.
If anyone knows what vehicle had the same engine I'd love to know.
Thanks for asking!

Wayne440

...Was there ever a 742 with the mitsubishi engine is that the 742B?
I cannot say for sure that the "742" was never produced with a Mitsu engine, but every one that I have seen had a 1.6 Ford.

As far as I know all of the "742B" had the Mitsu engine.

(Others with more experience feel free to correct this if need be)

brdgbldr

So the first "742" had the Ford 1.6 in it. (SN 507423001 and below)

Then they went to the "742b" ( lower case "b") which had the Mitsubishi 4G32. (up to SN 509417999)

Then they went to the "742B" ( upper case "B") which still had the Mitsubishi 4G32 but now the machine came with 2 piece axles. (SN 509418001 and above)

Sczmtns

At least I know why I am so confused!
I looked at the serial number plates... The older one is in the realm of 5074234xx the plate says 742 (no b or B) but the trim decals all say 742B

The other plate which is in the 509411xx has the same decals but proudly sports a 742B on the serial number plate...

This is why i thought the 742 had both the mitsubishi and the ford engine in it and because the shop manual listed the Ford and the mitsubishi as only 742.

I do really appreciate those of you out there who have the experience and knowledge that fills in these gaps!

With any luck I'll post an image in the next few weeks of the rebuilt engine making the magic happen!

Thanks again!

dfb

This is very helpful information! I have a 742B, it has the Mitsubishi motor and as mentioned, it does have 2 piece axles. First I have ever heard the B or b indicate the axle type. Kind of crazy to make a subtle distinction like they did.

OP
OP
J

justallan

Thanks for all the help guys.
The guy called last night and says he's ready to sell it.
I went down and right off the back asked if it would pick up the rear end of my Toyota Tundra and he very confidently yes yup, then went out and picked it up. No shaking, stuttering...nothing. Now I have to figure out what the rear end of my Toyota weighs. LOL
Thanks again, I think I'll go buy it.