How to attach an older QA to my bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

edo102

I have a 743 on which the previous owner put a newer style quick attach. I just bought a 909 backhoe, which has two vertical pieces on the mounting plate that stick out, and prevent it from sitting flat against the mounting frame on the bobcat. I have uploaded a picture of both the mounting frame and plate to this photo album: http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Attach%20bobcat%20909%20backhoe%20to%20743
IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

What do I need to do in order to get these to work together? Could I cut off those two pieces of metal that stick out of the mounting plate on the 909? If so, what tool would I need? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

skidsteer.ca

I'm not sure what those interfering pieces on the backhoe were put there for. Take a cutting torch or a angle grinder with a thin (.045") "zip cut" blade and cut them off. They were not there from the factory.
I'm assuming it still has the 2" trailer ball setupon top and you have the brackets that bolt to the loader? These are to stabilize your bucket dump cylinder. You can use it without them but you will get quite a shaking up on the hoe seat. Also likely hard on your tilt cylinder.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I'm not sure what those interfering pieces on the backhoe were put there for. Take a cutting torch or a angle grinder with a thin (.045") "zip cut" blade and cut them off. They were not there from the factory.
I'm assuming it still has the 2" trailer ball setupon top and you have the brackets that bolt to the loader? These are to stabilize your bucket dump cylinder. You can use it without them but you will get quite a shaking up on the hoe seat. Also likely hard on your tilt cylinder.
Ken
I agree, oxy torch, plasma cutter or angle grinder will do the job!

OP
OP
E

edo102

I agree, oxy torch, plasma cutter or angle grinder will do the job!
Great. Thanks Ken and Tazza. I have an old angle grinder, which I will get a blade for this week. The other thing that doesn't quite match up is that my 743 has the newer flat face couplers, whilst the 909 has the older ones (non-flat hydraulic couplers). Do I simply buy some more flat ones on ebay and slap them on? Is there more than one kind of flat face hydraulic coupler? Thanks, Edmund

skidsteer.ca

Great. Thanks Ken and Tazza. I have an old angle grinder, which I will get a blade for this week. The other thing that doesn't quite match up is that my 743 has the newer flat face couplers, whilst the 909 has the older ones (non-flat hydraulic couplers). Do I simply buy some more flat ones on ebay and slap them on? Is there more than one kind of flat face hydraulic coupler? Thanks, Edmund
They are just a 1/2 flat faced coupler. The cheapest ones have 1/2 national pipe thread on the other end. 45 to 55.00 Just ask if they are the skidsteer type. Most are. Case machines used a Parker brand coupler a few years back that was different. You want the "Faster" compatible skidsteer couplers. And they were the only flat couplers used on everthing but Case. (Case has since switched to the common ones in recent years).
Ebay or Discount Hydraulic Hose.com
Ken

TriHonu

They are just a 1/2 flat faced coupler. The cheapest ones have 1/2 national pipe thread on the other end. 45 to 55.00 Just ask if they are the skidsteer type. Most are. Case machines used a Parker brand coupler a few years back that was different. You want the "Faster" compatible skidsteer couplers. And they were the only flat couplers used on everthing but Case. (Case has since switched to the common ones in recent years).
Ken
I have been using Parker FEM series couplers and have had no problems with leakage to the factory couplers on my Bobcat.
Be aware that there are Flush Face Couplers and Flush Face Couplers that you can connect under pressure.
Connect under pressure in the Parker Line is the FEC and FC Series They are only the nipple side of the coupler. Parker FEC Series will connect to Parker FE and FEM couplers. There is also a FC Series that connects to the FF Series. The FEC series allows you to connect the couplers with up to 3000 psi of pressure in the line.
I have a couple of attachments that always seem to have pressure in the lines when I want to use them. I have had to crack a fitting to release the pressure so I can attach them to the loader. I am looking at changing the female coupler on my Bobcat to an FEM Series so I can put a couple FEC nipples on these attachments. To connect them under pressure the catalog states to push them together and hold for a moment and then push them the rest of the way together.

theboogers

I have been using Parker FEM series couplers and have had no problems with leakage to the factory couplers on my Bobcat.
Be aware that there are Flush Face Couplers and Flush Face Couplers that you can connect under pressure.
Connect under pressure in the Parker Line is the FEC and FC Series They are only the nipple side of the coupler. Parker FEC Series will connect to Parker FE and FEM couplers. There is also a FC Series that connects to the FF Series. The FEC series allows you to connect the couplers with up to 3000 psi of pressure in the line.
I have a couple of attachments that always seem to have pressure in the lines when I want to use them. I have had to crack a fitting to release the pressure so I can attach them to the loader. I am looking at changing the female coupler on my Bobcat to an FEM Series so I can put a couple FEC nipples on these attachments. To connect them under pressure the catalog states to push them together and hold for a moment and then push them the rest of the way together.
any info on where to get the high pressure quick disconnect will be appreciated. thanks

OP
OP
E

edo102

Ken
Thanks for this info. I bought the 1/2 flat faced couplers you mentioned from ebay, only to find that the old ones have 5/8 thread. Can I get a reducer from somewhere, or do I need to buy different couplers? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

pondfishr

Thanks for this info. I bought the 1/2 flat faced couplers you mentioned from ebay, only to find that the old ones have 5/8 thread. Can I get a reducer from somewhere, or do I need to buy different couplers? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You can check at Tractor Supply or any hydro shop should have an adapter or the correct couplers.

OP
OP
E

edo102

You can check at Tractor Supply or any hydro shop should have an adapter or the correct couplers.
Thanks. Tractor Supply had the adapter I was looking for. Having never used a backhoe attachment, I'm a little unsure how it works. I have found that if I hold the right lever in the cab to the left or right, then all the operations on the backhoe work. Do I need to tie the aux hydraulics to the on position whilst I sit on the backhoe?

jerry

Thanks. Tractor Supply had the adapter I was looking for. Having never used a backhoe attachment, I'm a little unsure how it works. I have found that if I hold the right lever in the cab to the left or right, then all the operations on the backhoe work. Do I need to tie the aux hydraulics to the on position whilst I sit on the backhoe?
When you hold the right lever firmly to the right it should stay engaged as there is a detent in the valve. If it does not want to stay engaged check carefully to make sure nothing is interfering with the linkage. On our machine there is a hose for the right motor that was just a little out of place and rubbed on the linkage so it would stay in detent sometimes and sometimes wouldn't.