How old is my 825

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jeffco

My 825 was supposed to be a 1980 but the more I try to find the age, the more confused I get. The serial number is 4958 16057. Can anyone help me get to a reasonably close age. Jeffco

OldMachinist

The 825 was made from 1974 to 1984 and if a dealer wanted to they can find out when it was manufactured and sold. As long as you have the serial number the year manufactured doesn't matter as parts are by serial number.

coreya3212

The 825 was made from 1974 to 1984 and if a dealer wanted to they can find out when it was manufactured and sold. As long as you have the serial number the year manufactured doesn't matter as parts are by serial number.
My S# was 12051. Let me know what you find out and I will know mine is a little older. Just for grins...

OP
OP
J

jeffco

My S# was 12051. Let me know what you find out and I will know mine is a little older. Just for grins...
These are the samples I found on an auction site. 1982 21189/ 1982 21008/ 1981 18960/ 1978 16064/ My 825 is 16057 so I'm saying I have a 1978, sold to me as an 80. 1977 14579/ 1977 14806/ If the numbers stay consistant, I'm thinking you have a 75 or so. My dealer is no help but a friend in the autions says they have a s/n guide. I will get some info from him, when he remembers!! Any way, you have to agree they are a rugged but somewhat modern older machine. Mine just seems to make the most of the less than 40 hp. What a difference after the tune up. The valves were way off and the timing was close. I think it starts better. A lot of people say that engine without glow plugs was hard to start new. I think every one has grown accustomed to just giving it a little either. Hope this helps. Jeffco

OldMachinist

These are the samples I found on an auction site. 1982 21189/ 1982 21008/ 1981 18960/ 1978 16064/ My 825 is 16057 so I'm saying I have a 1978, sold to me as an 80. 1977 14579/ 1977 14806/ If the numbers stay consistant, I'm thinking you have a 75 or so. My dealer is no help but a friend in the autions says they have a s/n guide. I will get some info from him, when he remembers!! Any way, you have to agree they are a rugged but somewhat modern older machine. Mine just seems to make the most of the less than 40 hp. What a difference after the tune up. The valves were way off and the timing was close. I think it starts better. A lot of people say that engine without glow plugs was hard to start new. I think every one has grown accustomed to just giving it a little either. Hope this helps. Jeffco
What you have to remember about Bobcat equipment is that unless there was a major design change your machine may be exactly the same as a 1980 machine and the original buyer may have bought it in 1980 new even thou it was made earlier. My 453 was bought in 2000 but was made in 1978. The original buyer showed me the paperwork from when he bought it. It just sat in dealers inventory until it he bought it.

OldMachinist

What you have to remember about Bobcat equipment is that unless there was a major design change your machine may be exactly the same as a 1980 machine and the original buyer may have bought it in 1980 new even thou it was made earlier. My 453 was bought in 2000 but was made in 1978. The original buyer showed me the paperwork from when he bought it. It just sat in dealers inventory until it he bought it.
I meant to say mine was made in 1998.

OldMachinist

I meant to say mine was made in 1998.
I was doing a little research during lunch and found this on the Bobcat website.
For inquires about the year of manufacture of your Bobcat product, please contact the Marketing Service department at 701-678-6165.

coreya3212

I was doing a little research during lunch and found this on the Bobcat website.
For inquires about the year of manufacture of your Bobcat product, please contact the Marketing Service department at 701-678-6165.
Yes, I guess date of manufacture doesnt mean a ton with tractors. Jeffco, Mine has Glow plugs, I bet it wouldnt take much to add them onto your machine, I havent had any trouble getting parts. I have a question about your cab tilt?? Do you have a manual crank jack, or the electric cab lift? Or nothing like mine. If you have afucntioning jack tilt mechanism, I woul dlove to see a picture of how it is installed. If you got time.

OP
OP
J

jeffco

Yes, I guess date of manufacture doesnt mean a ton with tractors. Jeffco, Mine has Glow plugs, I bet it wouldnt take much to add them onto your machine, I havent had any trouble getting parts. I have a question about your cab tilt?? Do you have a manual crank jack, or the electric cab lift? Or nothing like mine. If you have afucntioning jack tilt mechanism, I woul dlove to see a picture of how it is installed. If you got time.
What side of the engine are the glow plugs mounted, fuel injection pump side, or the other? If the induction heater doesn't work then maybe glows can be added. Down side to either method is using ether for starting is an absolutely a no-no. About the cab, I have the switch in the dash and thats about it. My service manual shows a linear actuator assembly as the lift mechanism. Some call it a satelite actuator. It appears there was a mechanical lift that was a worm drive system as an alternate, as you turned a bolt just behind the R. F. tire the cab lifted, as well as a manual hydraulic pump with a lever just behind the r.f. wheel. Mine was probably the electric lift. The upper mount appears to be just under the dash panel by my right knee while seated. It's built into the dash and seems to be part of the cab/dash. The lower bracket and the jack are both missing. The lower bracket bolted to the right side just ahead of the R.F. wheel. I think The bracket will be no problem for me to fab. 2 bolts through the outer frame. I got a linear actualor from a wheel chair lift from a school bus. It is pretty powerful to lift the entire wheel chair lift with an occupant and wheel chair. I'm sure the net weight is greater than the cab so I am counting on it working. If you are interested I will check the actuator and we can see if we can find you one. I forget the measurements but can easily measure it again. Granger price is around 280.00 and mine was free. Do I need that cab lift, not really, my come along does just fine but I want it to work, you know how that goes, it's easier to flick a switch. Its late now but tomorrow I will measure it and maybe take a pic or two on what I plan to do. With all construction equipment, it is dated when it's sold so yes mine could be a 1980 according to sales date but the assembly date which is indicated by the factory serial number is not debatable. So if you need a serial number or date built, the date of sale means nothing. I'll call bobcat to get the low down. I'm pretty convinced mine was built in 1978. Talk to you later, Jeffco

coreya3212

What side of the engine are the glow plugs mounted, fuel injection pump side, or the other? If the induction heater doesn't work then maybe glows can be added. Down side to either method is using ether for starting is an absolutely a no-no. About the cab, I have the switch in the dash and thats about it. My service manual shows a linear actuator assembly as the lift mechanism. Some call it a satelite actuator. It appears there was a mechanical lift that was a worm drive system as an alternate, as you turned a bolt just behind the R. F. tire the cab lifted, as well as a manual hydraulic pump with a lever just behind the r.f. wheel. Mine was probably the electric lift. The upper mount appears to be just under the dash panel by my right knee while seated. It's built into the dash and seems to be part of the cab/dash. The lower bracket and the jack are both missing. The lower bracket bolted to the right side just ahead of the R.F. wheel. I think The bracket will be no problem for me to fab. 2 bolts through the outer frame. I got a linear actualor from a wheel chair lift from a school bus. It is pretty powerful to lift the entire wheel chair lift with an occupant and wheel chair. I'm sure the net weight is greater than the cab so I am counting on it working. If you are interested I will check the actuator and we can see if we can find you one. I forget the measurements but can easily measure it again. Granger price is around 280.00 and mine was free. Do I need that cab lift, not really, my come along does just fine but I want it to work, you know how that goes, it's easier to flick a switch. Its late now but tomorrow I will measure it and maybe take a pic or two on what I plan to do. With all construction equipment, it is dated when it's sold so yes mine could be a 1980 according to sales date but the assembly date which is indicated by the factory serial number is not debatable. So if you need a serial number or date built, the date of sale means nothing. I'll call bobcat to get the low down. I'm pretty convinced mine was built in 1978. Talk to you later, Jeffco
You are in exactly the same position as me for the cab tilt. I have the switch in the control box and nothing else. No bracket or actuator. I havent priced a new one out or anything and likely wont, but if I come across a good deal on one then I would fab a bracket etc... Wonder why they are all missing. Let me know how you make out on yours when ever you get to it. Corey

Tazza

Staff member
You are in exactly the same position as me for the cab tilt. I have the switch in the control box and nothing else. No bracket or actuator. I havent priced a new one out or anything and likely wont, but if I come across a good deal on one then I would fab a bracket etc... Wonder why they are all missing. Let me know how you make out on yours when ever you get to it. Corey
I remember a thread on this before, i believe the actuators went bad, thats why you don't see them on the machines very often. I assume they go bad and you can't lift the cab up, so they simple remove them and ditch 'em. They are 30 odd years old and work in a dusty environment, so i guess its not surprising they can fail....

Fishfiles

I remember a thread on this before, i believe the actuators went bad, thats why you don't see them on the machines very often. I assume they go bad and you can't lift the cab up, so they simple remove them and ditch 'em. They are 30 odd years old and work in a dusty environment, so i guess its not surprising they can fail....
How old is an 825 ---I can't be sure but was told Noah used an 825 to build the ramp to the arch

OP
OP
J

jeffco

Ouch!!! Cheap shot.
They may be old but they still can have a mind of their own. I was using the method most Bobcat owners use to tilt the cab, be honest, a comealong and a safety chain so you don't go to far right. You should have seen the action while the engine is running, the cab slips and hit the control levers, instant reverse which allows the cab to swing back forward and as the levers snapped back the machine jumps forward and starts the whole thing over again. In 5 seconds the machine convulsed 3 or 4 times until I finally grabbed the cab and steadied it to stop the action. It was truely a site for my neighbors to behold. If they doubted before they are now believers. After the show was over I test drove the thing and the only problem is a slight creep on the right side but if you move the lever back just an 1/8 inch it stops so some internal linkage may have gotten bent. I guess thats why Bobcat uses some form of tilting mechanism. It's funny how strong you can be in an emergency, usually I can budge that cab. I'm on my way with the linear actuator, if it malfunctions I will unbolt it and tilt the cab but I don't want to replay what happened this morning. Just a word to the wise, I was really being careful to. Later, Jeffco

mrfixitpaul

They may be old but they still can have a mind of their own. I was using the method most Bobcat owners use to tilt the cab, be honest, a comealong and a safety chain so you don't go to far right. You should have seen the action while the engine is running, the cab slips and hit the control levers, instant reverse which allows the cab to swing back forward and as the levers snapped back the machine jumps forward and starts the whole thing over again. In 5 seconds the machine convulsed 3 or 4 times until I finally grabbed the cab and steadied it to stop the action. It was truely a site for my neighbors to behold. If they doubted before they are now believers. After the show was over I test drove the thing and the only problem is a slight creep on the right side but if you move the lever back just an 1/8 inch it stops so some internal linkage may have gotten bent. I guess thats why Bobcat uses some form of tilting mechanism. It's funny how strong you can be in an emergency, usually I can budge that cab. I'm on my way with the linear actuator, if it malfunctions I will unbolt it and tilt the cab but I don't want to replay what happened this morning. Just a word to the wise, I was really being careful to. Later, Jeffco
Next time either put it on blocks first or start it after the cab is tilted....much safer!!

OP
OP
J

jeffco

Next time either put it on blocks first or start it after the cab is tilted....much safer!!
I thought I was being safe. Engine off, tilt cab and safety chain to rear, I started it and checked for leaks. I lifted the boom but the cab must have been balanced then it toppled rearward and hit the levers and the rest is history. I like the thought of an electric lift so I am going that way. My actualor is a little long, I think a 12 inch or so would work great. Blocks are also a good safety precaution. You know there is not lot of room for a heater in the cab, where have you seen them mounted. By the way, thanks for your help, jeffco

mrfixitpaul

I thought I was being safe. Engine off, tilt cab and safety chain to rear, I started it and checked for leaks. I lifted the boom but the cab must have been balanced then it toppled rearward and hit the levers and the rest is history. I like the thought of an electric lift so I am going that way. My actualor is a little long, I think a 12 inch or so would work great. Blocks are also a good safety precaution. You know there is not lot of room for a heater in the cab, where have you seen them mounted. By the way, thanks for your help, jeffco
Ive only worked on a couple of 825's and don't remember seeing one with a heater.

coreya3212

Ive only worked on a couple of 825's and don't remember seeing one with a heater.
Glad you are ok Jeffco. I had a small misha with tiltingthe cab oncemyself. I wont repeat, but its in the forum to read somewhere.... Just say a safety chain would have been smart. No heater in mine either. Keep me posted on the actuator.