how much of a grade will it take

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bethron

newbie here. Just purchased a bobcat 743 to do some retaining wall work. Will use it mostly as a big wheel barrow moving in rock and dirt . My concern is I have a 30 degree grade to go down to where I need to dump the dirt and rock. QUESTION, will this machine go back up the 30 degree hill empty going forward (bucket first) without flipping backwards. Of course the book says go up backward. What do you guys say that do this everyday? Your input is greatly appreciated. ( 743=short narrow wheelbase)

Tazza

Staff member
There is no way it would go up that angle without a bucket of dirt. Back up the hill, it should be fine. That is some serious angle there.
Experienced operators could probably do it, but i'd be messing up my pants if i tried that.

reaperman

If its really a 30 degree slope, and your driving on weeds or grass, you better make sure its dry. Otherwise you may find yourself reaching your destination sooner than you like. And yes, driving backwards uphill is always the safe bet. It may bruise your ego, but remember; "pride goes before a fall". If you get into trouble, you always have your bucket to push you up if needed.