How do you seal a skidsteer tire on the rim

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

Is there an easy way to seal a skidsteer tire on the rim when trying to inflate it ? My own falt , I broke the bead to try to switch the tire around on the rim , to acomodate the other side of the machine thinking I could do this without a tire machine . No way , so I tried to reinflate the tire but it will not seal itself . Any ideas . I`m thinking to bring it to the tire shop .

OldMachinist

For tires I have problems getting to seat I put a nylon strap binder around the circumference of the tire and tighten it until the bead get near the seat and I remove the valve core so I can get lots of air in quickly. Even after doing this I sometime have to whack the tire tread with a large hammer near where the air is coming out to get it to expand out a little more and seat. With the binder on it only inflate it enough to seat the bead.

Tazza

Staff member
For tires I have problems getting to seat I put a nylon strap binder around the circumference of the tire and tighten it until the bead get near the seat and I remove the valve core so I can get lots of air in quickly. Even after doing this I sometime have to whack the tire tread with a large hammer near where the air is coming out to get it to expand out a little more and seat. With the binder on it only inflate it enough to seat the bead.
Thats exactly what i do too. A large ratchet strap. Just be careful when you release it, they can fly off and hit you pretty hard when you twist it to the point it releases. Just keep an eye on that, i have had a few close calls.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Thats exactly what i do too. A large ratchet strap. Just be careful when you release it, they can fly off and hit you pretty hard when you twist it to the point it releases. Just keep an eye on that, i have had a few close calls.
Thanks you guys , that did work and I do agree , the release on the ratchet is a bit suttle . How about taking the tire off the rim , has anyone done it without the tire machine ? It`s an 8 ply tire .

skidsteer.ca

Thanks you guys , that did work and I do agree , the release on the ratchet is a bit suttle . How about taking the tire off the rim , has anyone done it without the tire machine ? It`s an 8 ply tire .
2 bars and a bead breaking tool is all I use. They are one of the easier tires to do by hand. Never seen one yet that would seal up without the ratchet strap trick.
10 Ply 10 16.5 tires are a bear though. I used my log splitter as a press to keep the beads down in the rims groove so I could bar the other side on.
Ken

jerry

They come off the rim pretty good, use of dish soapy water seems to help. some silicone gel like Sylglide helps for getting them on . I had one last fall that would not seal until another fellow stopped by and whacked it with a big hammer as I filled in the air. When you put the air in take the filler off the air line and hold the quick coupler on the valve with the valve core out of the valve so you get the most air quick.

Fishfiles

They come off the rim pretty good, use of dish soapy water seems to help. some silicone gel like Sylglide helps for getting them on . I had one last fall that would not seal until another fellow stopped by and whacked it with a big hammer as I filled in the air. When you put the air in take the filler off the air line and hold the quick coupler on the valve with the valve core out of the valve so you get the most air quick.
the strap works ------ I am lucky that I built my own Cheater years ago one day when things were slow , you know the tank with the valve that pops the tire onto the rim ,it works great , to buy one is very expensive , they go for $300 up -----------but if your in the field and need to make it work , then being very careful you take and shot a spray of starting fluid or gasoline into the rim and tire , to lite it I use a long stick with a rag , you need to have a filler chuck that will stay on the stem , valve core out and air pumping when you do it , I have done this 50 times and never blew my self up yet , don't put a lot , it will set it every time , even big rubber tire loaders

OldMachinist

the strap works ------ I am lucky that I built my own Cheater years ago one day when things were slow , you know the tank with the valve that pops the tire onto the rim ,it works great , to buy one is very expensive , they go for $300 up -----------but if your in the field and need to make it work , then being very careful you take and shot a spray of starting fluid or gasoline into the rim and tire , to lite it I use a long stick with a rag , you need to have a filler chuck that will stay on the stem , valve core out and air pumping when you do it , I have done this 50 times and never blew my self up yet , don't put a lot , it will set it every time , even big rubber tire loaders
I've done the starting fluid trick too but I don't normally tell people how to do it because I don't want to hear about their singed eyebrows.

Fishfiles

I've done the starting fluid trick too but I don't normally tell people how to do it because I don't want to hear about their singed eyebrows.
I hear ya Oldmachinist , when I first seen it done I thought " that's insane " , it is a very dangerous thing to do , if someone put too much it probally could blow the tire off the rim into little pieces ------------------I am pretty proud of my homemade Cheeter tank ,in a bind I will change my tires at home , wish it wasn't so hard to post pics as I would show it to you'll , I took an old air tank off a scraped truck , welded a couple of nipples and a handle to it ( which really shouldn't be done as the air tanks are certified with a tag ) and really shouldn't be welded on , a couple of valves , a tee and a gauge , for the nozzle I took a piece of pipe and hammer it down with a piece of 1/2 " bar inside to give it the shape , then pulled the bar out , the Chheter is a work saver ---------in fact I used it not long ago at a tire store , I was having a tire put on my truck , it was a stiff 245/85/16 and they guys could get it to seat , they wasted a good 20 minutes trying , so I offered the Cheeter out the back of my truck , they had never seen one and was amazed that it seated it first pop , they gave me the new valve stem free for helping them out

skidsteer.ca

I hear ya Oldmachinist , when I first seen it done I thought " that's insane " , it is a very dangerous thing to do , if someone put too much it probally could blow the tire off the rim into little pieces ------------------I am pretty proud of my homemade Cheeter tank ,in a bind I will change my tires at home , wish it wasn't so hard to post pics as I would show it to you'll , I took an old air tank off a scraped truck , welded a couple of nipples and a handle to it ( which really shouldn't be done as the air tanks are certified with a tag ) and really shouldn't be welded on , a couple of valves , a tee and a gauge , for the nozzle I took a piece of pipe and hammer it down with a piece of 1/2 " bar inside to give it the shape , then pulled the bar out , the Chheter is a work saver ---------in fact I used it not long ago at a tire store , I was having a tire put on my truck , it was a stiff 245/85/16 and they guys could get it to seat , they wasted a good 20 minutes trying , so I offered the Cheeter out the back of my truck , they had never seen one and was amazed that it seated it first pop , they gave me the new valve stem free for helping them out
A 1/2" air line at 175 psi with a ball valve coupled on the makes a pretty good cheater tank too. I have one with the same coupler as my 1" impact and use it for doing truck tires mostly. I have seen them made from 20 lb lp bottles also.
I too have done the either thing, found it really helps to have the can warm. Prior to use I toss it in a sink of 120 f water. If its too cold it just flames instead of exploding. I never had a clip on tire chuck so I just kept the std one handy. If you don't put air to it asap the cooling gasses in the tire will suck it down off the bead again.
Ken

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

A 1/2" air line at 175 psi with a ball valve coupled on the makes a pretty good cheater tank too. I have one with the same coupler as my 1" impact and use it for doing truck tires mostly. I have seen them made from 20 lb lp bottles also.
I too have done the either thing, found it really helps to have the can warm. Prior to use I toss it in a sink of 120 f water. If its too cold it just flames instead of exploding. I never had a clip on tire chuck so I just kept the std one handy. If you don't put air to it asap the cooling gasses in the tire will suck it down off the bead again.
Ken
Insane would be apropriate , I`ve seen that starting fluid used also but I think I`ll stick to the ratchet strap , I`m not as brave as I used to be . As far as the breaking the bead thing I`ll have to try again . I tried putting all the weight of the front end of the 773 bobcat ( probably doesn`t amount to much ) and only got about an inch gap between the tire and the rim . I `ll have to get myself a bead breaking tool . Meanwhile , I like the log splitter Idea . OK for now . Good stuff guys . Love this forum .

pondfishr

Insane would be apropriate , I`ve seen that starting fluid used also but I think I`ll stick to the ratchet strap , I`m not as brave as I used to be . As far as the breaking the bead thing I`ll have to try again . I tried putting all the weight of the front end of the 773 bobcat ( probably doesn`t amount to much ) and only got about an inch gap between the tire and the rim . I `ll have to get myself a bead breaking tool . Meanwhile , I like the log splitter Idea . OK for now . Good stuff guys . Love this forum .
TSI Cheetah Bead Seating Tool — 6 Gallon Capacity, Model# CH-5 Available at Northern Tool Item# 145999 I have one that I got from a friend of mine and it works awesome.

Fishfiles

TSI Cheetah Bead Seating Tool — 6 Gallon Capacity, Model# CH-5 Available at Northern Tool Item# 145999 I have one that I got from a friend of mine and it works awesome.
You ever hear that hip hop tune by Cypress Hill " Insane in the membrane , insane in the brain " ---------blowing a tire on the rim with an explosive thing is insane ---------------I am never going to that again ----and I am sorry I mentioned it ----------talking about Northern Toll ====where is "The Tool" of the north

Tazza

Staff member
You ever hear that hip hop tune by Cypress Hill " Insane in the membrane , insane in the brain " ---------blowing a tire on the rim with an explosive thing is insane ---------------I am never going to that again ----and I am sorry I mentioned it ----------talking about Northern Toll ====where is "The Tool" of the north
I was thinking the same, i haven't see him about for ages. I tried to send him an email a few months back, but didn't go through.....
I know he was dealing with personal issues over 12 months back, hopefully he will pop his nose back in eventually.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I was thinking the same, i haven't see him about for ages. I tried to send him an email a few months back, but didn't go through.....
I know he was dealing with personal issues over 12 months back, hopefully he will pop his nose back in eventually.
These pigs wanna blow my house down. Insane in the membrane , went insane , got no brain .

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

t'felo , popin' the lirics
I didn`t mean to offend you by saying the either trick being insane and I have to admit that I was tempted to use it . I probably would use it as a last resort . It`s been a long time since I`ve seen it done and I think I would be afraid to spray a bit too much or maybe not quite enough . I know the few times I saw it done , the tire jumped about two feet up . A little scary for the guy holding the match . Is that normal ? How much do you need , ( one good squirt ) ?

skidsteer.ca

I didn`t mean to offend you by saying the either trick being insane and I have to admit that I was tempted to use it . I probably would use it as a last resort . It`s been a long time since I`ve seen it done and I think I would be afraid to spray a bit too much or maybe not quite enough . I know the few times I saw it done , the tire jumped about two feet up . A little scary for the guy holding the match . Is that normal ? How much do you need , ( one good squirt ) ?
If the tire jumps thats a bit too much! about a 2 second spray and a propane of cutting torch to set it off. If its below 60 far it just burns, won't pop. If your going to try this start small, no harm there.
Ken

renopker

If the tire jumps thats a bit too much! about a 2 second spray and a propane of cutting torch to set it off. If its below 60 far it just burns, won't pop. If your going to try this start small, no harm there.
Ken
Ive done for years its the only way to seal tractor and combine tires (tubeless) the new starting fluid isnt that good anymore its weak (wont put the kids to sleep)just remember that the valve stems going to be hot.