High Hours

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

uffda

I had work done on my Bobcat at the dealer and it seems as though the bill seemed high as far as the number of hours to to one specific job. I was wondering if they are required to go by the book (Time and Equipment) like mechanics at your car dealer?

farmshop

Most mechanics we work with charge by hours worked if it goes over the "book" they adjust the bill to more reflect the book rate. Although many shops can do jobs in less time

Tazza

Staff member
Most mechanics we work with charge by hours worked if it goes over the "book" they adjust the bill to more reflect the book rate. Although many shops can do jobs in less time
This would be interesting to know actually, i always had it in my head that they charged by the book as a minimum, then more if it took longer.

Hotrod1830

Should be same as auto industry. Book time is a guide, or estimate. In the auto industry, we dont charge over book time unless we can clearly indicate a reason why(broken bolts, severe damage, ect..)
Also, book time sometimes doesnt allow for combined operations. As an example, You estimate a engine R&R & 10 hours. You also have a front pump seal leaking on the transmission. Book time on that is 6 hours. However, since you already have the engine out, and access to the front seal on the trans, you are SUPPOSED to adjust your labor time on the engine R&R and just add time to it to do the seal. Sometimes mechanics/advisors will get greedy and try and bill both the Engine R&R labor of 10 hours, AND the front pump seal labor of 6 hours. Seen it happen many times and it makes my skin crawl. Should have been for like 11 hours total max.
All you can do is confront them and ask about it, make them explain. If you are being billed 24 hours of labor and they only had it for a 8 hour work day........ thats a problem and common sense will be on your side. Granted, mechanics can beat book time if they are good, but they are not that fast.
In most places, billing for something you didnt do is fraud. This applies to labor as well.

Tazza

Staff member
Should be same as auto industry. Book time is a guide, or estimate. In the auto industry, we dont charge over book time unless we can clearly indicate a reason why(broken bolts, severe damage, ect..)
Also, book time sometimes doesnt allow for combined operations. As an example, You estimate a engine R&R & 10 hours. You also have a front pump seal leaking on the transmission. Book time on that is 6 hours. However, since you already have the engine out, and access to the front seal on the trans, you are SUPPOSED to adjust your labor time on the engine R&R and just add time to it to do the seal. Sometimes mechanics/advisors will get greedy and try and bill both the Engine R&R labor of 10 hours, AND the front pump seal labor of 6 hours. Seen it happen many times and it makes my skin crawl. Should have been for like 11 hours total max.
All you can do is confront them and ask about it, make them explain. If you are being billed 24 hours of labor and they only had it for a 8 hour work day........ thats a problem and common sense will be on your side. Granted, mechanics can beat book time if they are good, but they are not that fast.
In most places, billing for something you didnt do is fraud. This applies to labor as well.
Never thought about the billing time that was not actually spent being fraud, but it makes sense.
You will always get some that will try and over charge, there was something on youtube about someone investigating companies trying to sell over servicing. SOme are honest, some really aren't.

Unicam

Never thought about the billing time that was not actually spent being fraud, but it makes sense.
You will always get some that will try and over charge, there was something on youtube about someone investigating companies trying to sell over servicing. SOme are honest, some really aren't.
thats why you need to get an estimate first. it's not fraudulent if you agree to the estimate. also not fraudulent if a 30 year tech uses his knowledge, experience and vast investment in tools to complete a job in less than the specified time. that'd be like saying you'd happily pay a kid 200$ to cut your grass all day with a ratty 20" push mower but dispute a professional service that cut it in 1/2 the time with 2 brand new zero turn mowers at 15k a piece.