High Flow and Standard Flow

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TexOnt

I am looking to purchase a used Bobcat around 25 to 30 hp and research shows some with Auxiliary High Flow and some with Auxiliary Standard Flow. Can someone tell me the difference? The advantages of each? The disadvantages of each? Unit will be used for the normal bucket work etc. Plans are to also run a finish mower and a snowblower. Appreciate any input you may have. Thanks

OldMachinist

I can't think of a Bobcat in that HP range that was offered with a high flow option. The high flow is used for attachments with hydraulic motors that provide some kind of rotary motion like the a snowblower, mower, stump grinder or sweeper. I would look at the flow needed for the attachments you intend to use and then find a machine with enough flow.

OP
OP
T

TexOnt

I can't think of a Bobcat in that HP range that was offered with a high flow option. The high flow is used for attachments with hydraulic motors that provide some kind of rotary motion like the a snowblower, mower, stump grinder or sweeper. I would look at the flow needed for the attachments you intend to use and then find a machine with enough flow.
Thanks for the input. If I understand you correctly, you are saying the auxiliary high flow is better to run a snowblower. I see in the bobcat specs 2 models the 540 at 22.5 hp has aux high flow rated at 8.5 gpm and the 643 28.5 hp also has aux high flow rated at 9.5 gpm. Also notice a lot of the smaller units 15 to 18 hp state they are Auxiliary High flow and rated around the 6.8 to 9.5 gpm. Why would these be better to run a snowblower than a Standard flow with a pump capacity that is Auxiliary Standard Flow rated at 11gpm? I guess I assumed the higher the pump capacity IE: 11 GPM would be better. Am I wrong in this assumption? Why is the Auxiliary High Flow better even though it is a lesser GPM? or is it? Thanks

OldMachinist

Thanks for the input. If I understand you correctly, you are saying the auxiliary high flow is better to run a snowblower. I see in the bobcat specs 2 models the 540 at 22.5 hp has aux high flow rated at 8.5 gpm and the 643 28.5 hp also has aux high flow rated at 9.5 gpm. Also notice a lot of the smaller units 15 to 18 hp state they are Auxiliary High flow and rated around the 6.8 to 9.5 gpm. Why would these be better to run a snowblower than a Standard flow with a pump capacity that is Auxiliary Standard Flow rated at 11gpm? I guess I assumed the higher the pump capacity IE: 11 GPM would be better. Am I wrong in this assumption? Why is the Auxiliary High Flow better even though it is a lesser GPM? or is it? Thanks
When I think high flow I think 18gpm or more. A 60" snowblower would need 16-20gpm and a mower would be about the same. In the Bobcat historical specs sometimes they have typos with the std specs in the high flow area. As I responded before you need to see what gpm the attachments are going to need.

Treekiller66

When I think high flow I think 18gpm or more. A 60" snowblower would need 16-20gpm and a mower would be about the same. In the Bobcat historical specs sometimes they have typos with the std specs in the high flow area. As I responded before you need to see what gpm the attachments are going to need.
Id also like a little education in this aera also. I have been looking for a brush hog for on a standard flow machine. Now i have seen them for both high flow and standard. Is a high flow mower gonna cut way better than a mower for a standard flow machine.Now i know that a high flow cant be run off a standard. Or should i hold out till i get a high flow machine.

Tazza

Staff member
Id also like a little education in this aera also. I have been looking for a brush hog for on a standard flow machine. Now i have seen them for both high flow and standard. Is a high flow mower gonna cut way better than a mower for a standard flow machine.Now i know that a high flow cant be run off a standard. Or should i hold out till i get a high flow machine.
High flow is the only way to get more of the engines HP to your attachment. Road profilers, brush cutters, stump grinders need more power than standard flow can provide. I don't know the figures of how much HP standard flow generally has available, but High Flow has about 50% more for most bobcat machines.
Most people don't need the extra hp at the attachment, but some jobs really do need it.
You may think its easy enough to add later, it generally would not be cheaper at all. If you want it, buy a machine with it already fitted.

OP
OP
T

TexOnt

High flow is the only way to get more of the engines HP to your attachment. Road profilers, brush cutters, stump grinders need more power than standard flow can provide. I don't know the figures of how much HP standard flow generally has available, but High Flow has about 50% more for most bobcat machines.
Most people don't need the extra hp at the attachment, but some jobs really do need it.
You may think its easy enough to add later, it generally would not be cheaper at all. If you want it, buy a machine with it already fitted.
Thanks to all you guys that replied to my questions. Your replies have been very helpful. Reading through the other posts on this site I find a lot of information for sure. Good site, good info, good people,

farmboy55

Thanks to all you guys that replied to my questions. Your replies have been very helpful. Reading through the other posts on this site I find a lot of information for sure. Good site, good info, good people,
The High Flow is the only way to go with that type of equipment. I have both type of Bobcats. On certain attachments High Flow is almost a must. It would be like going a a craw with the snowblower on a reg flow machine and running at full speed with a high flow

sp6x6

The High Flow is the only way to go with that type of equipment. I have both type of Bobcats. On certain attachments High Flow is almost a must. It would be like going a a craw with the snowblower on a reg flow machine and running at full speed with a high flow
I was on my second machine and I remeber the dealer asking me about hi flow. He said probably only need it if you are a landscaper, I was a builder,part time operater. I do snow removel,snow bucket and blower. I neeed Hi flow and dont have it, love my s185 gold package, purchased new. T o upgrade now is big bucks plus a new larger capacity blower.

Latest posts