Help with quote

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mike763

Hi Guys I was wondering if anyone can give some advice? I need to quote a job to Excavate 100' X 120' X 12" Depth. I need to remove the sod on top and then Loam and Clay underneath. The total is 444 cubic yards I am thinking roughly 40 Tandem loads. I usually work by the hour so I am not sure how long it would take to do. I have a Bobcat S185 and I can always get Dump trucks. It Might take me 15 or 20 at the most to load a dump truck right full. I also need to find a place to dump it all. The landfill will take cleanfill for free but I always have a problem with the sod. Any advice would help Thanks Mike

thetool

I'm so totally NOT an operator or digger, but curious......
That's a big hole for an S185. What kind of sod? Good grass? Can you cut it, palletize and sell it?
If it's weedy, can you somehow scrape it and sell the topsoil?
I just finished a job for my brother and he brought in a truckload of topsoil for over $300. He's walking funny......

thetool

Oh I see now that's 12 INCHES not 12 feet-my bad.
But still-12 inches would be mostly topsoil?

BPS

Oh I see now that's 12 INCHES not 12 feet-my bad.
But still-12 inches would be mostly topsoil?
Post an ad on craigslist for free topsoil and/or free fill dirt. You will be amazed at how many responses you will get, and how much business you will get as a result. People hit the free section a good bit.
Get bids from your truck drivers and tack a few dollars onto that and take a rough guess at how long it will take you to excavate. You know how fast you work better than anyone. The x-factor here would be having reliable truck drivers and having them on location when you are ready to load them. There could be significant downtime if you don't have a truck there to be loaded.
Consider the type of soil you are excavating. Is it rocky? Could you run into a need for a breaker or other equipment? Consider all that and you should be fine..

Latest posts